Travelling Abroad

I'm off to South Africa next Spring & wondered if anybody has been before. I'd like your views on the long flight & how to avoid boredom. Any health related information would be welcomed too!

Tim

Comments

• Drink water and take a book? Also take some nibbly type snacks as aircraft meals are usually a meagre.

• Do you know what airline you're flying with? Some are better than others when it comes to entertainment. We flew to Cuba with British Airways this year, and, though the choice of entertainment was quite good, the seatback TVs were a nightmare, as, if the person in front of you reclined their seat too far, you couldn't see a damn thing!

Some of the radio stations you get on these flights can be quite good - I was listening to a good jazz station on Qatar Airways a few years ago on the way to Nepal.

A good book of some kind is a must, as are earplugs, a blow-up neck pillow, and an eye-shade thing - all for when you want to sleep!

Food tends to vary too - BA have had their menus overhauled by celebrity chef Brian Turner - and they're rubbish. The main courses are dull, and when they served us sandwiches, they were tasteless. I had some lovely curried fish on Gulf Air a few years back!

On a charter flight to Mexico last year, we were fed almost constantly, so quantity wasn't an issue then.

YOu could, of course, just get drunk and stay drunk - but I wouldn't recommend it!

• GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    JJ, I was in Cape Town a couple of weeks ago, and it was already very hot. I had a fantastic run from the town up Kloof Nek, and then along the road that leads past the Table Mountain cable car base station. It is a hard climb, but the views are worth it. A more pleasant (and equally scenic) run was along the coast road to Llandudno.

As to the original question, I agree with JJ's advice. Drink lots of water, try to stretch your legs every couple of hours, and try to get some sleep in between. Don't do what I did on my return from Cape Town, and go for a run a couple of hours after landing - it made my cramped leg muscles even worse, and they took about a week to recover.
  • Thanks everybody,

I will be staying at Potchefstroom at the high altitude training camp, which is about an hour drive from Joburg. Potchefstroom is very popular with the likes of Kelly Holmes.
    The training activities are organised by one of South Africas leading coaches. I will either come back dead or racing fit. This is somthing I've wanted to do for a few years. I think the experiance will be fantastic.
    I fly out on the 1st March for two weeks. I fly with KLM & go via Amsterdam [saves a couple of £100 pounds.
    A good book is a must & I think the nibbles idea will be worth considering.