Driving and Sore Knees

I’ve been running on and off for a few years, never more than 20 – 30 miles a week, but I always seem to have sore knees. Its not just one, but both. Seen the Doc and physio ....... “classic runner knee”.

But I have another theory, commuting in the bloody car. Has anyone else thought that leg and knee problems have been bought on by your driving position? Some days my left knee is very painful especially walking up the steps from the car park, it sometimes eases during the day, but its nearly always there.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to alleviate the problem?

Comments

• Hi Andy

I never had knee problems until I took up running this year and I've played football and various racquet sports (table tennis being one unsurprisingly given my nickname) for over 15 years. As for blaming commuting, well I've worked in driving jobs in the past and never had any problems.

I reckon for some of us the injuries just seem to go with the sport. Maybe Dave the Taxi will appear online and comment on this and how his legs are when driving all day.

For what it's worth I use Ibruprofen as an anti-inflammatory and a strecth bandage that seems to help.
    PPB.
  • Andy your left knee will be the one that operates the clutch so if you drive in very heavy traffic maybe an automatic gearbox is the answer - actually I'm just showing off (female - cars)
  • Andy - I had the same problem with my left knee.Average 40,000 miles pa in the car.Changed to a car with manual gearbox but automatic clutch 2 years ago.Problem solved- no more knee pain.Unfortunately it did not make me run any faster.
  • My left knee is dodgy too. Got worse when I drove back from Brighton. I think a combination of driving in traffic and running is the problem.
  • Driving is def. bad for knees. I run 20-30 miles a week. HAven't particularly had knee problems. Just over six months ago, started a new job which involved 2-2.5 hours a day commute in the car. Noticed the effect on my knees and back very quickly. Within 4 months, had to go to doctors with knee pain and have now had arthroscopy and meniscectomy! Blame it on running and mountain-walking if you will but I don't think so.
  • Yes driving does have an effect on my knees.My job involves lots of driving and sometimes I have to use an LDV van, which can be a bit sluggish. So my right leg usually hurts as I try to maintain a decent speed and its a bit high for me to get out of without out jumping or over- bending my right knee.
  • Hi folks,
    Sorry if I am going over old ground, but.. I have real trouble with my knees and wondered if any of you can offer advice?

Basically, my knees (left knee especially) begin to feel like they are locking / stiff mainly during long runs. If I walk for a bit, or flex it, it is ok. It doesn't hurt. Once or twice though, it has swollen a little just below the kneecap.

any ideas or advice? I am going to see if I can get a physio to look at it as soon as possible..

I am trying to slowly increase my miles, and have a place in FLM - been running since april and my longest run to date is about 8.5 miles... am I aiming far too high?

Thanks
    go-slow
  • I've been learning to drive, and for the first time in my life I have a bad back!!! No trouble with the knees so far, though it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if . . .

Answer is perhaps to ride a motorcycle. This conclusively knackers your hands (tendonitis, white finger) your shoulders, your neck, your bank balance, and obviously any bit of you that might freeze and drop off (nothing to say of the ever present threat of being squashed flat by a bus). Your legs, however (so long as you never fall off) are always present and ready for active service.

Can't get the hang of car controls. They're in the wrong place. :-(