undulating

what does it mean sorry to thick, just read it re bolton 10k, profile-undulating
cheers

Comments

• Undulating also suggests that it isn't too hilly. Just nice gentle, rolling slopes.
  • Hi nigel,

I've learned since taking up running over the last 18 months that "undulating" when applied by a race director to a race description means "this course is positively mountainous, but if I write that no-one will come, so I'll pretend that it's made up of nice, gentle, rolling slopes... heh heh"

I hope this helps! :-)
  • Agree with wee piglet, this description can cover basically flat ground with a few non-level bits to courses with hills that climbers would be proud to achieve!

The best thing to do is to try and look at a map which shows contours etc, this at least gives you some idea as to the flatness (or not). Multimap on line is very useful.
  • I describe our race as undulating this means bl@@dy hilly and I have found that most races I’ve done use the same ‘code’
  • I've noticed that 'undulating' comes just before 'challenging' in the scale of hillyness, after that they give the ascent in feet as they're fell races.
  • Hmmm. I'm a bit worried about this, guys. Being utterly race phobic as I am (a lot to with with 70s PE teachers), I've only just agreed to do a couple of 10ks (prep for Silverstone and then Berlin: they're a long way from home and don't count). Now I got the entry forms today and one of the 10ks is definately described as 'challenging.'

I don't like the sound of this.

I mean, living in Wales, I ought really to be able to run up lamposts by now, it's so hilly: but all our local hills have done so far is show me that hill=shagged out hyper-slow Mim.

Hmmmm.
  • Mim, Which one is challenging?

What you have to learn about Welsh races is that they tend to use the English terminology. So challenging to them = fairly flat to anyone who does their training in our part of the world. Anyway, hills are good cos when you get to the top there's a downhill to get your breath back.

Accentuate the positive, ignore the negative.
  • Action Heart 6 is challenging, DB. And it's in England--so there's hope!!! I hadn't thought that Dudley hills are mere hiccups compared with the proper Welsh sort. Although I do remember Dudley as being a bit on the vertical side, but the last time I was there was in my unfit pubcrawling days, so it's probably a lot flatter now it's not spinning and rising up to meet me.

On the other hand, out local Llandudno Twin Piers race is described as 'flat' even though there's a killer hill after the first mile.

Evidently this is all relative . . .
  • The Buxton half marathon is described as 'challenging', after the race I measured the ascent and worked out that it would be a category C fell race if it wasn't on roads.
  • Potteries marathon is described as 'undulating'. Anyone that's seen Porthill bank which occurs at 18 miles knows what an evil lie this is!
  • Certainly have seen it Helen, have you done that ?
  • my first ever race was the Chester zoo 10k this Oct. That had a number of really mean little hills, all in the second half of the race too.
  • Bum.

Looks like I've got two months to run up every hill I can find.

Not that I'll have to look very far. Sigh. . .

Oh well. I did say I wanted to run the Snowdon Marathon one day. Start as you mean to go on, I suppose.
  • Actually have just checked the Action Heart website for last year's results and the last finisher was 1:46. Many of the runners look to be beginner ladies and Action Heart runners.

So I'll stop worrying, I think.

Bed.
  • When faced with a challenging undulation in training, I try to run up it as fast as possible and am destroyed at the top, and have to take a rest

if I haven't reached peak performance by race day, am I better off doing the same, bolsted by the knowledge that it'll be easier on the other side, or should I walk up the hill and conserve my energy?
  • Ermintrude: no I haven't done it, I'm still at the just about doing 10k stage. I'm thinking of the Potteries half mara / half mara walk though. Are you interested?
    I have walked up Porthill bank, and the thought of facing it at a run aftre 18 miles makes me feel like crying! I could roll down it though :-)
  • has anyone done the Edinburgh Marathon? It too is describes as undulating. The last time I was in Edinburgh was during a drunken binge at the Fringe and I think I remeber a few hills...I am starting to re train after having time out from an injury and do not fancy a load of hill work! Someone tell it like it is please!!!!???
  • The Blenheim Palace runs are generally termed 'undulating'. They tend to be more or less constantly up and down - but in a relatively gentle way. Nothing too extreme - that would be 'hilly' and very little level running. I did my first 10k at Blenheim and found the 'undulations' a good excuse for a bit of a look around the fantastic views (ie I walked over each 'peak'. However, it does give you a good opportunity to lengthen your stride a little on the way down without any additional effort!