Options

Jailed for 16 months for slashing a few tyres.

A poor vicitimised cyclist gets jailed for putting some holes in some car tyres. What do drink drivers who kill people get again?

Comments

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I know of drink drivers who kill going down for 5 years with 10 year bans. I think you will find that is par for the course these days.
  • Options
    ....and to answer the question about slashing a few people I am also aware of quite a few life sentences being handed out, these with a minimum to serve of 15 to 20 years.

Persons on Life sentences who get released are also liable to recall should they err again.
  • Options
    That's OK t1, the piffling sentences that do occasionally get handed down are the ones that hit the press.
  • Options
    Life sentences for slashing people, is that the norm? I bet there are cases of people getting lesser sentences for slashing people than 16 months custodial.
  • Options
    Not the norm, no. One of these left a 10" kitchen knife in some poor chaps innards, so deserved the lengthy spell away just to make it safe for the rest of us. Another loose cannon so to speak.
  • Options
    If the guy is a nutter then psychiachtric help should have been prescribed. They mentioned two instances, one of which was "getting splashed". Of course incidents occur to cyclists all the time, I doubt he suffered only two. His targetting of random motorists was odd sure enough but motorists are all guilty.
  • Options
    As a daily commuting cyclist (until very very recently) for the last 26 years I have a certain amount of understanding of the problem here.
  • Options
    Cant believe anyone has any sympathy with some who roams the streets with a knife.

16 months sounds about right to me.
  • Options
    Lots of motorists don't go out of their way to splash cyclists or whatever but do it through negligence. It happens a lot.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    16 months seems a bit strong but then I haven't heard all the details.

I did hear on the news some woman say she was driving about for 2 days with a flat tyre after he slashed it though!
  • Options
    Sounds like the sentence was a bit over the top to me, but as its been pointed out - he's not quite right is he?

And that woman driving with a flat tyre should have been prosecuted too ! How can that be a roadworthy vehicle ? Idiotic !
  • Options
    Nope...

Agree with Chimp.

Car drivers have no respect for cyclists and vice versa but thats not an excuse for mindless vandalism.
  • Options
    taking a "slashed" tyre in journo-ese to mean any deliberatly damaged tyre, he might have damaged a tyre which then took a while to go flat. By then she could have started a journey, even be in a 60 limit, then a rapid deflation...
  • Options
    No question he should have been punished as vandalism should not go unpunished but a 16 month custodial sentence seems over the top when compared to the sentences handed down for, what I would consider, more serious offences.
  • Options
    From what I see in the papers (so it's not a full and complete picture) - stuff like criminal damage seems to attract higher punishments than assaults or really big swindles.

Maybe I've got the wrong impression, but a motorist can take a life and get off pretty lightly sometimes, but if you puncture tyres - you get sent down.

Not sticking up for mad cyclist fella though !
  • Options
    If he'd been smart he would have started a clamping company, and reeped the fincancial devestation!
  • Options
    The going rate for a slashing someone with a knife would be over 16 months, depending on injuries caused, and depending on whether the charge was with intent to cause serious harm (when he would be lucky to get less than 4 years on a guilty plea), or simply inflicting a wound. The tyre slasher slashed considerably more than 'a few' tyres (he asked for a vast number of offences to betaken into consideration), and i suspect showed no remorse in his pre sentence report. Newspapers are a useless guide to criminal sentencing. I speak as an ex cyclist before suit wearing and travelling to far flung courts for work stopped it.
  • Options
    Surely prison isn't the answer for someone who's clearly bonkers?
  • Options
    1700 tyres is not a few!

Perhaps he's got shares in Kwik-Fit as well as a grudge against motorists?

But seriously, I knew two cyclists who were killed in the sixties so I now run for exercise. Also, since I was recently assaulted by a driver after I ran into the side his car turning left across my path (into a side road) I totally sypathasise with the cyclist's sentiments but not actions.

We do need better protection against dangerous, inconsiderate and even violent drivers as we have zero protection and they have two tons of body armour.