Options

Body Fat

Hi all,

I recently came back from holiday to find that I was substantially heavier (8lb) and slower than before I went away.

I have now almost one month later shifted all this extra weight, but according to my scales my body fat is still as it was at the higher weight!

Before going away it was at 15%, now it is always at 18%, even though I have got down to the same weight. I always weigh at the same time of the day too as recommended.

This does seem on the higher side of acceptable, my training partner is the same height and 2lb heavier but is always 14/15%.

Any ideas as I am sure it cant be helping my running.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Beth 30, Just having my Fruit & Fibre in preparation for this mornings race.

Will look at the link later, ta.
  • Options
    Hmm - very interesting site. NN don't worry about it, eat healthy, run regular and it will come down again, just never as fast as it goes on. Thus spake the 27.5% fat man.

Vrap previously reported upto 5% error in the stand on Tanita scales which is far better than the hand held ones.
  • Options
    Liposuction, NN :-)

Seriously, if you've shifted 8lb in a month then it's unlikely that you've only lost fat. You've probably shed a bit of muscle protein and a chunk out of your glycogen stores too - which might explain the higher body fat percentage.

Alternatively, the accessible forms of body fat measurement (Tanita scales and Omron hand-held monitors) are dismally unreliable. As far as those machines are concerned, the difference between 15% and 18% is probably within their margin of error! And both figures are well within the normal range for a man.

Do you FEEL fatter than you were before? If not, throw the scales away. If you fail the "wobble test", eat plenty, aim for a carb-rich athlete's diet, and increase your training a little, making sure you include some resistance work. But I'm sure you're just fine.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    V-rap - are you saying that those glorified bathroom scales which also give you a figure for body fat %age are a waste of time? If so I'll have to scratch them from my Xmas list!
  • Options
    'Fraid so, Jo. Ask for a full-length mirror instead.
  • Options
    COLCOL ✭✭✭
    I THINK THAT FOR SOMEBODY WHO NEEDS TO GET FIT AND GET THE WEIGHT OFF THROUGH DIET AND EXERCISE IT IS A GOOD INDICATOR THAT WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WORKING AND GIVES MOST PEOPLE (MR 27%)THE INCENTIVE TO CONTINUE.DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF IT'S NOT THAT PRECISE? I HAVE SEEN A NUMBER OF "FATTIES" BENEFIT FROM USING THE SCALES.
    FOR ANYBODY WHO'S PERCENTAGE BODY FAT IS AROUND 15 TO 18% (WHO CARES?) I DON'T THINK THESE WEIGH SCALES ARE MUCH USE EXCEPT AS AN INDICATION OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING BY CONFIRMING THE RESULT OF THE MIRROR TEST.
    AS FOR YOUR TRAINING PARTNER BEING 2LB HEAVIER BUT 15% BODY FAT A SIMPLE EXPLANATION WOULD BE THAT HE/SHE HAS MORE MUSCLE DEVELOPMENT SO YOU NEED TO DO SOME GYM WORK
  • Options
    Wow, I thought this thread had died, but here it is back again :)

Well my scales still say 18%, but I dont care anymore as since I posted the original message I have knocked off over half a minute off both my 5km & 10km PBs, so whether the scales are rubbish or not I am happy :)

Thanks for all comments relating to this also.