How are you?

Instead of trawling through 3 months' worth of training thread topics, taking the lazy way out and reintroducing myself with own name (as opposed to laura) and request for synopsis of how your running's been going last few months.

Virtually no spare time for the forum these days but would enjoy hearing how the training thread regulars are and what you're up to. Hope it's usual mix of motivation, enthusiasm, jokes etc.

Veil of silence over my own running achievements!

Comments

• Hi Laura / Paula. Good to see you back.

Still running silly mileage here. 2:42 at FLM, so 7 mins off last year's disappointing time.

Going to keep on working to get more and more minutes off that time.

Hope your running is going well behind the veil:-)
  • oooooh flip

Lovely to see you

er, running
    yes
    well
    have been trying to do that base trainig thing
    Done my first ultra
    Done another FLM
    Still having disasters of races---the trotties rule!

one year into consultant job, and its as bad as i thought it would be

On the positive side, the midlands is GREAT
    loads of runing clubs, and races, and nice people
    oh, and Pubs!

When are you coming back to us
  • Hi Paula/ExLaura !

Lovely to hear from you.

My quest for a sub-2 halfmarathon has been interrupted by getting a club place for flm. I got round comfortably and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but all that long slow distance running has knocked all the speed out of my legs !

Back to a bit more halfmarathon-specific training for me - and I've got some adventurous fell-runs and trail races coming up in the summer.

What have you got planned?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Paula,

I'm still the same, working hard to achieve far reaching goals!

I've not done any major races, just the normal club/league ones.

I've gone from blonde to very dark brown/red to blonde again in four months!:o)

Lacking motivation on OU study and ready to throw in the towel!! Realise I don't want to do it, but 'pressure' from partner is making me hang in there-just!

Plans for the next 6 months is to double my training and go for sub 3.15 at Cardiff marathon. I might not get it, but try I will!:o)

Really glad to see you back and hope you can find a little time to pop in more often!
  • Hi there & welcome back...

bit disturbing to find the lady who launched the campaign for real photos was actually hiding behind a false identity.....

running ..got good (ish), got injured, and again ad strating to hobble back.

pleased to see you here or hereabouts again, stay around and keep us amused with lakeland running stories. I'm sure that some old farmer there must have a sheep with a longer coat than the one hitting the news today in NZ. And I'm sure you've tripped over it.
  • Goðan daginn, hvað segir þú í dag?

Laura, Paula, Laura, Paula ... I´m confused now.

I realised that you moved house at exactly the same time as some friends in the (south) Lakes also moved, and now am nervous about uncanny forum coincidences ...

Running? I´m doing a good tortoise impression at the moment, had a GFA place at London, and then had the embarrassment of being one of the last GFA'ers to pick up their kitbag from the lorry...

Still doing the MA, may start taking it a bit more seriously now as the ski season (finally) lurched to a halt last weekend.

Welcome back!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you, LauraL (or should that be PaulaL!)

Ran first marathon in London two weeks ago having once vowed I'd never enter a marathon (famous last words) and didn't do too disgracefully - finished in 4:01 feeling really strong right through and even fuel left in the tank at the end.

Now have the bug and am wondering if other half will call off the engagement if I mention the possibility of an autumn marathon ...
  • Afternoon Paula, good to hear from you.

Did Paris Marathon, just over 6 hours, trots and cramp put paid to a decent time, vowed I wouldn't do another but watched London and will try next year. Busy year for me 2 more grandchildren on the way, so will try and fit in a few 10km and maybe a half in the autumn.

Keep in touch
  • If I change my name to Paula does it mean I'll run 2:15 marathons?
  • Hello Paula :o) Great to see you back!

I'm still doing my peak-and-crash thing - just donw FLM in 5:33 after being on minimal training for 6 weeks with a tibial stress fracture, and am now trying to be sensible and build my mileage up gradually to try to get under 4:15 in Cardiff in October.

And I still live mostly in Triple F.
  • Hellooo Paula, been missing you.
    Quick re-cap:
    1)Training for London, did races such as Stafford 20 Ackworth Half, Brass Monkey and Liversedge half.
    2) No great pbs except for 2 seconds off 10k at Lincoln, which they proceeded to put back on in the results.
    3) Met Barbara at a 5 mile off road over in Prestwich just after Christmas, also did Radcliffe 12 (got a win).
    4) Coal carrying- second out of 4 entries, that caused me to have a bit of a rant about womens running, you would have liked that.
    5) Andy Collier talked me into a an Ironman in July in Austria, I am also off to Belgium for a duathlon at Geel, which is remowned for housing the mentally ill in the community or something.
    6) Hooray no injuries.
  • OOPS
    7) lONDON IN 3:04:48. tHE SUB 3 ELUDES ME.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hi Paula

Like you I've hardly had any time to log into the forums this year. Isn't it uncanny that I chose today????

New job, new priorities, a long lasting viral infection at the beginning of the year (just getting over it now!) and lack of motivation have meant very little training being done. Even had to defer my FLM entry.

Just started getting into it again over the past few weeks. Once I get myself sorted out I'll start logging on more regularly.

Are you still living in the Lakes and still doing your long off road adventure runs?
  • Hi Paula

Swaledales rule Herdwicks drool :-))

Still here in the Peaks building up my distance and altitude with a view to returning to the scene of my former crimes at Ennerdale or Wasdale (depending on how the training goes)

Hope to see you there....
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hi Paula!

And Hi Drew!

Still going, which is the main thing. Ran Abingdon marathon, 5hr 43, very pleased with that indeed.

Potteries next goal, though I am not anticipating an improvement in time. It was a tough winter.

Massage has made a great difference recently though, and confidence is coming back.

Heading back to China with les Foulees de la Soie this summer, God willing.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hello again, hope you have settled in well after your move. Still doing a bit of training I hope.

I've had a good year so far, 5 PB's already if I count the 20 mile point in FLM! 3:06 achieved at London which was another 4mins off previous best. I am now on a quest, along with Monique, to break 3hrs one day (hopefully before I get too old!). We both know that the 10K PB has to come down first then all else should hopefully follow.

Drew..that viral infection sounds nasty, hope you can get back into your old routine soon.
  • Hi Paula!! I've been roaming the forums making unwanted and inappropriate remarks where ever possible. I usually stay out of Training in case they gang up on me and chase me out.
  • Hello!

Trained for The Hague 1/2 over the winter, missed out on the PB I wanted, due to some very bad weather. Managed to finish 4th in the open race though so quite pleased.

Just come back from South Africa training & looking forward to some racing soon.

Then it's Amsterdam marathon again & looking for sub 2:40!

In November I start a 9 month sports massage course.
    scarey at how much of my life is already planned for the next 18 months!!!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello Paula

I've been Base training too (like hippo)
    Managed to do my first race (since Oct) in March after a couple of cancellations.
    It was a 15 miler, in the Hills of Banbury where we had heavy rain and strong wind - oh i do like to make it easy for myself. That was done in 2hrs 35.

Since then i did 1 LFOTM 5k in Hyde park in 26:17 less than my old pb circa 1989 :o). i have another one tomorrow.

2 5 milers both on flat courses one decent day for running apart from a headwind in places 41:25, and last sunday on that hot day about 2 minutes slower.

And somehow i have managed to get up to 40 mpw, not every week mind but it's getting that way.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    DREW!!!Really good to see you posting too!

Hope things are on the up for you and you are able to join us more often.:o)
  • Nice to see postings from not one but two of the "old school" - Paula (ex Laura) AND Drew!

Hope you're still at least getting some mileage in Paula, and Drew - look forward to seeing you posting more often once your virus has gone and you can pick up your training once more.
  • Hi again,

Thanks for posting, I've really enjoyed hearing what you've been up to and Drew, that's weird you logged on the same day. Hope your infection is well and truly sorted and that you're enjoying your job.

Will try to reciprocate round robin style so here goes...
    BR, fantastic time at the flm, hope you had a smile on your face afterwards.
    LizzyB, you're the queen of forum coincidences so it will probably turn out that you once went to school with my next door neighbour's brother or something. How did flm go? Glad you've survived the skiing/ice climbing season intact!
    Minks, congrats on fantastic 1st marathon time, you obviously paced yourself really well.
    MikeS, are you still a lone voice in the wilderness outside of base training??
    Vrap, glad you're still doing marathons on the back of minimal preparation and getting away with it, good luck with your sub4.15.
    Hippo, how did your ultra go? Stickless, China sounds amazing, enjoy it.
    Hilly, we've swapped hair colours it seems! Keep going for that 3.15 and sod the OU course - if you don't want to do it, don't waste your time on it, you could be relaxing!
    LynneW well done on flm and good luck with next races.
    Sfh legs, got lost on any orienteering courses recently?
    Fellrunning, your sheep references completely allude me, is it me or you that's confused?? Ennerdale clashes with Swaledale but tempted by Wasdale if I can get some long runs in first.
    DavidB, plus ca change...
    Running update from me on Training thread, not much to say.
  • Hiya paula
    the ultra was a laugh
    7 laps of a reservoir(35 miles)
    did a marathjon pb, and walked the last lap with vrap, wabbit and bear
    even had a gin en route
  • Oh, Wardi, your running seems to be going really well, obviously not that old then.
    The very phrase '10kpb sends fear down my spine at the moment.
    Monique, why am I not surprised to read you're doing an Ironman in Austria! Sod sub 3 marathons, you've got your sights set on other things it seems. Let me know when you next do something extreme I can join in on the usual basis of maximum enthusiasm/minimum competence.
  • Good for you hippo!
  • Paula - your old house wasn´t number. 6, was it.....? with a very odd name....? Prob´ly not odd if you lived there, though.

We´re noming back to the UK for good(?) this time next year, not looking foward to the traffic, crowds and crime, but - oh! Consumer choice! Food with taste! Bike races! Drivers who use their indicators! Solid rock!

So, when are you coming to Iceland - and are you staying in the murky capital, or travelling into the far superior north...?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Paula-I wish my hubby would say the same, instead of "I knew this would happen and look how much money you'll waste!" Oh, but relaxing sounds so good!

What colour hair have you got then? I'm not back to blonde though.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry that should say I'm now back to being blonde!
  • Oh Paula, btw FLM was a disaster, hardly ran in the month before after straining my knee carrying two snowboards down some steps (my worst snowboarding accident of the year!) and then had a virus on race day which hit me at mile 6. I spent the next 20 miles actively wanting to die, still managed 3.57, but that's half an hour slower than target so I was a bit peeved. But - met lots of forumites for the first time over the marathon weekend, and managed to prove that I existed. I think. Or managed to prove that I was tall and never stopped talking. Which may be the same thing.
  • Hi Paula

Hope all is well, nice to see you back.

Training seems to be going very well this year all races taken part in this year have resulted in PBs.

Now aiming to get into 35s for 10k and trying to break 80 mins for 1/2 marathon.

Have London triathlon in August with 1/2 Ironman 3 weeks later and 6 weeks after that the Cardiff marathon.

Again nice to see you back, hope to see you back on the training thread soon x