Asthma

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I have just found out from my doctor that I have asthma and have had to start using a enhaler.
I know obviously it will not stop me running as I have seen people at races running with a enhaler in their hand.
But it was just to check with any asthma sufferes out there. If there is anything I should be doing or avoiding as I do not know what affect it may have on my trainning.

Thanks Kenneth

Comments

• Kenneth....

Firstly, don't worry about the diagnosis...asthma is easy to live with if you follow your doctor's orders properly and take any pills or inhalers as prescribed...

I've had the condition since I was little, but it's never stopped me doing anything I've really wanted to do. In fact, since I started running 'properly' six or so years ago, the asthma has come under much better control - the fitter you are, the easier you will be able to cope with the wheezing...

It sounds as if you're already a regular runner - and just because you've just been diagnosed, it doesn't mean you'll suddenly not be able to do what you were doing the day be fore you 'found out'. Keep training as you have done - your lungs will let you know when you're pushing it too hard.

I always take my ventolin with me on every run (in addition - it's a great place to stick your house/car key safely), and I know I need to be a little more circumspect about how hard I push it or how far I go if it's especially cold outside - the worse the weather is, the tighter my chest can get. But, as ever, listen to your body, and you'll not go far wrong. A quick burst on the ventolin before a race or training session is always useful to widen the tubes, as well...

You'll be having regular check ups with your GP now anyway, so listen to his/her advice, and ask if you're planning to start training for a marathon (or ultra marathon!) - they might have some more clinical advice for you.

Anyway - as I said - it's never stopped me. I'm currently a 1' 27" half marathon and 38 minute 10 km-er - and looking to go faster next year, so it's not barrier to moderate speed. Good god - even Paula Radcliffe's a fellow asthmatic - so roll on those 2.17 marathon times!

Obviously it can be a debilitating condition...but the fitter you can keep yourself, the easier you'll find it when you have to handle bad attacks. Most importantly, don't start thinking along the lines of how it will hamper your training - try not to treat it like an impediment.

The National Asthma Campaign has got loads of info too - and now you've got a genuine reason to get a golden bond FLM place from them! Their purple vests are especailly attractive!

Good luck.

Robert.
  • Thanks mate.
    Have helped give me a boost
    Although I don't think Paula has too much to worry about with me just yet.

Kenneth