As another year comes to a end....

I thought it would be interesting to look back through my training log and calculate my yearly mileage. Here it is:
1,926 miles
weekly average=37 miles
number of races=25

Take a look at your own, it's surprising how much pounding our feet take.

Comments

• Yikes! Those are impessive stats Hilly.

I guess my weekly mileage often drops quite low - it got up to about 50 max, and was quite often around 15, and sometimes even lower.

Even so - I must end up doing around 1000 miles a year, which is still a lo tof pounding!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    lain, my mileage has sometimes dropped to about 26 on the odd occasion and max was A few weeks at about 57 when marathon training.

I suppose for competitive runners (racing regularly, whether against your own times or racing others)30-40 miles a week is average. I know so many who do so much more and then again many who do a lot less.

Here's hoping for another year of good running!

Happy running :)
  • Hi Hilly,
    I tend to add up my mileage and races at the end of the year too. It's increased every year of the four I've been running so far. This year 1600 miles and 18 races, including debut 20 milers on my way to training for my debut marathon - that one wheere you run under a big Flora sign at the end!

Just worked out that that averages out at just over 30 miles per week - wow, didn't know I averaged that many. I'd settle for the same again next year.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Llama man-I know what you mean about mileage and races increasing. Mine are more this year than the previous 5 years. It's just so good to run though, isn't it and I love to enter different events.

I too would settle for the same next year, I'm not really looking to run more as I'm happy with what I get out of my training.
  • Before we get into a macho comparison of stats, may I point out that I used to run 2000+ miles a year. I now run half of that, get injured less, and run just as fast. I do a lot of miles on my bike, however, which probably helps.
  • I've never done this before & have just had a count up & it's,
    3277 miles.
    I know I will have done more in other years because I did not train for a marathon this year.
    weekly average 63 miles
    number of races 29

I don't get injured I just run faster the more miles I put in.

Tim
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    greyhound, the intention was not to start up "a macho comparison of stats" as you put it. I always count up my yearly mileage and find it interesting to share with others and see what they do too.

Running is very individual and it's very interesting to see what one runnner does without incurring injury compared to another runner.

You are quite entitled to point out that you ran 2000+ miles per week and I'm sorry that this amount of miles caused you injury and glad that your present training suits you better. It is however a shame that you feel the need to make more of my intention of sharing stats information!

outrunningalongwaytoday-how do you manage to keep injury at bay and fit in so many miles. I've managed to do a few weeks at 57 miles and it did improve my running for a short while, but then tiredness was a problem and I suffered with overtraining.
  • Good idea Hilly! You obviously enjoy your racing,as noted this autumn.

I've never kept a training log before this year so my first stats are
    Miles: 1430
    Av per week: 27.5 (looks too low!)
    No of races: 15

I already knew lots of runners do far more miles than I do, but I still find it of interest to see what other people do, and find it inspiring to read about.
  • I suspect part of being able to put in the miles is how biomechanically good your body is - any slight default will put a strain on the body.

Apart from my right foot I never have any problems with my right leg - it's always my left.
  • Glad to see folks enjoying their running so much. Now is a good time to draw attention to it, think I'll keep a log for 2003. Might be inspirational to me this time next year.

First race next Wednesday, of 9 already enetered for 2003.
  • I do lots of different things so one affects the other. Anyway. as you asked . . .

Running: 1,980 miles (best ever)
    Bike: 1,200 miles (worst in a long while)
    Gym: 98 visits (better than last year)
    Rowing machine: 500,000 metres (crap)
    Races: About 12 (quality not quantity)

But best of all injuries: none.

Racing tomorrow and if I can hold off a threatening cold I'm hoping to run a blinder
  • Erm, just to encourage those lesser beings amongst us, I'll have clocked up just over 800 running miles by the end of this year (my first full year running) and done 15 races.

As long as I keep on running and stay injury free, I'm happy
  • Good philosophy Murf !!! Whats the point if we dont enjoy it
  • Thanks Murf, good to keep life in perspective :-)
  • Don't assume that those who bang in loads of miles don't enjoy it
  • Agreed! I do a relatively good mileage (just short of 2000 this year)and enjoy it, and I think that thats my point.
  • tafkate - I can't imagine anyone doing loads of miles unless they DO enjoy it. Makes my 800 or so look pretty pathetic though and I almost didn't post because of that but then I thought, what the hell, it's better than nothing at all.
  • Agreeing with 'keep on running and stay injury free', is not a judgement of anyone else.

I've been guilty of over-training in the past and hurting myself, because my goals did not include enjoying the journey. Hopefully my perspective has changed, so I now enjoy the (very few) miles I run compared to some of you.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Laura, some of your runs are really inspirational. I still remember your 2 marathons this year and that very long off roader. All excellent runs including sticking at it in your 2nd marathon. Happy running :) is what it's all about.

Iain, I agree that biomechanics play a huge part in staying injury free. I have a shorter left leg, the reason I wear one heel raise, which was never evident until taking up running. I also have a lower back problem, a genetic problem + wear & tear, that I have a maintainace programme for to stay injury free. My right calf is is always the first place I feel it when doing too much and if I ignore the signs not long after my back will seize up. It's amazing how in tune we become to our bodies little flaws, that ordinarily wouldn't cause a problem, but for this sport called running!

Helen-good luck in your race and welcome to world of logging miles!

Murf-15 races in your first full year of running is some going! Well done, you obviously enjoy racing. I love to race/run in races! I think staying injury free and enjoying running is a goal we all share, here's to many more happy running days!

Sad isn't it but even on days when I struggle with a run, I still wouldn't say I don't enjoy my running. Have to take the good with the bad.

Happy running all!!
  • Murf, Glad you did post your mileage and it isn't pathetic, if it's right for you then that's all that matters - so stop that! I was at the Ashby 20 (my first race over 13.1) earlier in the year and heard guys talking about running 100 or 120miles a week. I briefly felt inferior but then proudly announced that I don't run over 50 (and than only wnen training for a marathon). When I've done more I've got injured.

And yours is a good point too, often running will have a 'shelf life' so if we don't enjoy what we do, what's the point.
  • Interesting Hilly - my left leg is shorter and I've had very similar problems. my back used to lock up, but now the problem's moved to the top of my hamstring. I'd prefer it in the back - at least I could keep running then!

My heel raise (got it not long ago) is quite spongey, and since I've had it my left calf has been playing up. My theory is that as it's spongey, it gives more chance for over-pronation, hence twist on the calf. What's your heel raise like?

Cheers, Iain
  • Wow, just added it up
    700 miles
    ME
    And One marathon, one half, 3 10 k, and 1 5k
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Iain-I used to wear a sorbothane heel raise, but now I change my insoles in my trainers to sorbothane double strike, which have a slight rise on the heal.

For a heel raise I do actually cut up old trainer insoles or the ones I've taken out to be replaced with sorbothanes.

I used the sorbothane heel raise as a template so to speak. I find that this works for me, the raise of the insole heel being just enough to even out the discrepancy.

When I start to get any sign of tightness, I know it's time to change my raise for a new one. If it continues then it's normally time to change my trainers.

I buy new sorbothane insoles every time I buy new trainers. I swear they have helped to reduce the amount of shock to my lower back.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry reading what I wrote seems a bit confusing. One of those days!

I wear sorbothane insoles with an added heel raise (cut out of my replaced trainer insoles)to even out the discrepancy.

Hope that's clearer.
  • I run about 30 miles a week - one football training session and one match (when not cancelled). I'm knocking playing football on the head to concentrate on running though. It's only really since the Autumn that I have been doing more than 15-20 miles a week and only since the Spring I started running again (and I didn't run much or for long before).

For 2003 I really want to get a consistent 40 miles a week in which will consist of:

Long run (currently 12 -14 miles - will up this when I decide on a marathon) OR race.

Cross Country run - I've got a wickedly hard circuit at Allestree Park in Derby I like to run - each lap takes about 18 minutes and has one particularly punishing hill. I want to train off road more and do some hills so this run does both. I aim to do between 2-3 working up to 4 laps.

Club run - go out once/twice a week for a 6-7 mile run with my club at a decent pace - on a good night the finish is competitive.

Then depending on mileage/what I've got on I will run late in the evening one day OR get down the local university cinder track and do some intervals.

If I can't get some decent improvement in times off the back of that I'll be very pi55ed off!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck popsider, I'm sure you'll see improvements.
  • Thanks Hilly - will give that a try - think the physio provided raises may be too soft.

A forefoot bit would be good for my right foot too. When you say double strike do you mean the ones that are pretty much flat, rather than the ones with loads of support under the arch?
  • Only returned to running in the last week of May after ca 14 years off and since then have clocked 920 miles. Only took part in 2 races the Martin Holroyd (a hilly 10km) and the Amsterdam half. Based in Turkey for work and very few races out here But have entered the Rotterdam marathon and hoping to do the Lisobon half as part of the build up. It is amazing how much you miss the possibility of racing when it is not there.

Simon
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    The double strike insoles aren't completely flat, but mine haven't got any arch support.

You can buy single strike that are completely flat and can be placed under your trainers original insoles.

I find it easier to use the double strike, ones because they take up less room. Having 2 insoles plus a heel raise is a bit much and weighs more! Also, I think they are better for distance running.

• I've been thinking some more about this today & ok it looks as if I've run a lot of miles.
    But lets say I run a hard 5M in about an 30min. Someone else running a hard 5M might take 45min. So in a way I may have run more miles but someone else might have spent more time training than me.
    I once did a marathon as a training run in 3hrs:26min, the longest I've ever spent running. Yet there are lots of runners that run for 4-5 hrs & I'm not sure I could do that!

I agree enjoyment is very important & I find running so natural. I don't know how I stay injury free but I do take good care of what I eat & that helps. I also change my shoes regularly & may have 4 - 5 pairs of road shoes on the go at once.
    I haven't even been ill or had a cold in in the last 4 years.

My mums milelage for the year will be less than 10miles, as she started running again yesterday after a long time off. She was motivated by the race I organised on boxing day & wants to run it next year. This will be fantastic & if she does It will make me very proud of her.

Keep on running Tim