Tim Don to represent UK at Olympics

Comments

• So does this mean we'll actually be represented by a home-grown triathlete?
  • Tim used to work for me years ago. He is one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. Dead chuffed for him!
  • Its about time we had someone from england representing england.
  • Yes its good to see Tim there as he aint an
    Australian looking for an easier?? path to the Olympics.

Come on jodie!

Anyone know if she is going to make the next qualifier?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Tim Don trod on my toe once.

He was very nice about it.
  • He probably could'nt see you as his hair got into his eyes!
  • It couldn't have hurt anyway theres nothing of him (not jealous)
  • Andrew
    whilst he may be from england- doesnt he live in africa now?

so we are only half way there!
  • To be quite honest I find the whole thing about nationality ridiculus. Pitting nation against nation to see who is best is a bit rascist. Its saying we are better than you or they are better than them. It shouldn't matter who you are or where you come from. The olympics and other events should be about individuals not the countries they come from or adopt. As much as I dislike football, I think they have the right idea with teams having players from all over the world playing together. That is the sort of thing we should be striving for in all sports. It can only lead to more intergration and friendship.
  • absolutely

because club v club football leads to much needed integration and friendship

and clearly there is nothing good at all about a country coming together to support its elite athletes when they are competing against the rest of the world....

i think pitting nation v nation is brilliant and brings out the best in individuals as they strive not for personal glory but for their country. does that make me racist? i doubt it.
  • Sorry, I know that they fill up with tears when the national anthem plays but they are
    out there for personal glory first.And profit.
  • personal glory and potential future profit too perhaps? but IMO the vast majority will see representing their country as the highlight of an athletics career.

and even if personal goals were the most important thing i don't see how that makes it racist? or how that makes club football an ideal to be reached towards?

the olympics don't say one country is better than another - its healthy competition between nations.
  • I am not saying club football is an ideal to be aimed for. I am saying its good that people from different races compete together against people from different races. I didn't say that the personal goals make it racist. It is the personal goals that make it non racist. Its the competing for your nation to show your nation is better than another nation part I have a problem with. If it was war we would say its wrong but because its sport its 'healthy competition'. Conflict is conflict whether on the battlefield or sportsfield. And conflict only breeds or encourages problems
  • or competition encourages excellence

just an alternative view
  • conflict?!?!?

Racing is not conflict!

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    Why do people always confuse nationalism with racism?
  • and is he the chap whose Dad was the soccor ref?
  • gutted for Richard Standard as it looks like he has missed out on a place by coming 4th British man...

(ignoring club v country debate above as I got confused as to its releavnce to Tim Don getting to Athens...)
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    Ivan Rana (Spanish guy) was second for a fraction of a second, he didn't look very happy in the photo at the podium.

a fraction of a second after 1.5/40/10, what a race. is it gonna be broadcasted in channel 5?

• they are going to show some of it on grandstand this weekend
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    As regarding the country and nationalities stuff, we had a German skier sliing for Spain and he won 3 gold medals at the olympics (which he had to return for dopping), I never saw him as a Spanish guy.

I've seen Brazilians playing football for Spain or an Ukranian playing rugby for Spain. I see them as Spanish because they are part of the national team whereas at individual competitions, I always see the athletes as individuals regardless the nationality.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    so is this right - amey, aj and tim don are definites? havnt really been paying much attention but though the others (allen, stannard etc) have one more race to prove themselves?

and so women are dillon, dibens and.......?

whats happened to young jodie?
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    hope Swallow make it
  • AJ has'nt qualified yet, its just don and amey. For the women its just dillon as dibiens did'nt get in the top 5 though it will help that she was first brit home.

Not sure where the next qualifiers are? but i hope young jodie does it. She will rise to the occasion.
  • From the BTA website:

May 12th: The British Olympic Association (BOA) today announced that the
    following athletes would compete for Team GB at the Athens 2004 Olympic
    Games, which begin on August 13:

Men’s Event
    Tim Don
    Andrew Johns
    Paul Amey

Women’s Event
    Michelle Dillon
    Jodie Swallow
    Julie Dibens

Simon Clegg, the Chief Executive of the BOA and Chef de Mission for Team GB
    at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games, said: “I am delighted to welcome these
    athletes into Team GB. Triathlon debuted very successfully in Sydney and the
    performances of our triathlon squad over the past couple of years suggest
    that we can be successful in Athens later this year. We wish the triathlon
    squad all the best as they make their final preparations.”

Graeme Maw, Team Leader for Triathlon at the Athens Games, said: “We are
    very confident in the Team now selected, with all six athletes having
    previously demonstrated their ability to win medals in major international
    races. The nature of the sport allows for many different scenarios on race
    day, and with proven medallists across the board we should be competitive in
    many of these. With four of the six - Don, Johns, Dibens, and Dillon –
    having been through triathlon's Olympic debut in Sydney, we will also be
    carrying experience to deal with the unique environment.”
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    is Bella Comerford only doing long distance and not olympic?
  • Not sure I agree with the successful debut. It was just another boring draft legal race. It was so successful there is already talk of it going.