Aero bars...

BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
...following on from huge success of me other bike thread.. is there any point buying aeor bars and or turbo trainer, or do I just get out there and go for it?

. bear in mind I am a bloke and therefore love gadgets..

Comments

• Barkles, Barkles Barkles

Until you get a bit fast, there is no point in having aero bars. It just looks silly.

There are things you can spend your money on which will help you go faster. And qualify as 'gadgets'

track pump
    Clipless pedals (and the shoes)
    track pump
    Combined HRM/bike computer (I've got a Polar one)
    track pump
    decent pair of wheels (OK, technically not gadgets but v. pretty)
    track pump
    Nice Campagnolo Record or Chorus chainset
    track pump

... er, have I made my point about the track pump?

Oh yes, and a turbo trainer can be useful in the winter, but this is the summer!
  • Are you confident on the bike and able to whizz round corners without a care ?

I'd say that aero bars are best when you feel comfortable with the bike - the weight is farther forwards, and it's a wee bit trickier than normal cycling.

They do make a big difference in speed though - typically about 1 or 2mph for the same effort.

Turbos are good - but more of a winter thing. IN the light evenings - try and get out on the bike more.
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    Barkles, stop looking for excuses and start training
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    barkles - problem for us bigger guys and aero bars - the gut tends to get in the way and it gets a huge pounding as you are right down on the top tube.

so unless you want to cycle with your knees way out like an old crock who has shat himself, lay off until you get confident on the riding position - practice using the drops instead!
  • You can spend £1000 on gadgets but would get the same speed/power return from loosing a few KG in weight.

Dont forget to buy 5 Track pumps, this is so you can be sure you have the optimum pressure in your tubes and in case one or two of the presure readers in your pumps are faulty you should check it with 5 different ones like... eh Lizzy.

Seriously good pressure in tyres e.g. 110 PSI makes you go faster, less rolling resistance. Deflate to maybe 900-100 in the wet for better grip though.

• hum,
    I disagree... For a fast flat course... areo will knock alot of time off.. but yes Fb's right about actual 'tuck position'.. but the only way to do it confidently is practice!

go buy some!!!
  • Ive a set odd stubby little Profile Jammer bars and had them fitted from when I got my bike (against the advice I got from some).

They definatly make you quicker, as said maybe 1-2mph (even more down hill).

Id say go for the Bars. you dont have to use them from the start but be careful its a bit trickier riding with them and steering a little more unstable.
  • Forget the bars and get one of those pointy helmets, you'll go much faster.

Obviously all these people only using turbos in winter don't live in London. Can't beat an hour on the turbo for a good, hard session (so to speak) which is impossible on city roads with traffic lights and stuff.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    LOL

so it's a track pump for me then....

my machine is a fairly heavy peugeot thing... with sharp saddle and sti gears, sdi?? pedals and have cheap but effective shoes with clips, and a decent pump.. wheels have narrow rims and the tyres are slim... in short the machine is ok for now, and I am getting better in terms of balance

just about used to the pedals now.... ish...and at speed am ok in terms of balance but still hate right turns in heavy traffic!!!nearly fell over the other day as I left it to the last second to put me feet down and them remembered that they were nailed to the pedals..
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Richard... interesting point. would have thought that you can go for it on the turbo and also concentrate on form...??
  • Turbos are great for speed sessions - like intervals - that you can't safely do on the roads.

As it's your first year though - I'd concentrate on getting some miles in and racing au naturel.

Next winter - do some turbo sessions and get tri bars, and PB's all round !
  • I used the turbo a lot in the winter for practicing the ancient art of "getting your bottle out of the bottle cage, drinking and putting it back without losing speed"...

Kept getting dropped off the back every time I had a drink last year, which meant that I wasn't drinking, got dehydrated, and got dropped anyway.

Got it sorted now ...
  • Cougie has got a point. Obviously all these things help you go faster, but it is important to get really comfortable at handling the bike first. Once you feel confident getting your bottle out of the cage or putting something in your back pocket or even sitting up and taking your hands of the bars then it is time to start really looking at increasing the power and speed.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Get the Magura hyper mag trainer (or something like that). I think they are about £110 if you look around. Basically they are quiet and have variable resistance which is all you need - then just train to heart rate on it.
  • Definitely good for the speed session thing. It is so hard to see what you are doing when you are b*ll*xed.

Example: MrLizzyB had a shiny new first cat licence in his pocket and before he'd raced at that level did an interval session along a residential street. Hello parked car! hello hospital! Goodbye fledging bike racing career!
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    there is a theme forming here.....

so I get out on bike and make my bum very sore indeed, lose weight.. get bars when I have some talent..try not to crash into cars and then get turbo trainer for speed sessions....

sorted

thanks folks..
  • Oh and find a course with only left turns - I do, its much safer, just a bif loop only turning left or the odd straight on.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    sounds like my training there barkles

you sure about running at Ironbridge??
  • Agree with all the expert tips above Barkles especially about getting confident with bike handling skills - but I'd add that the only way to feel comfortable/safe on tri bars is to get out there and ride'em.
    I always find I've got a great big grin plastered on my face once I get down on the bars, I really love riding with them on long rides, the aero position is so much more comfortable for my back.

• Barkles

If this is your first season, sod the aero bars, get some miles big in, do some hills, and do some turbo work.

Check out http://www.jbst.com/i-Coaching-2002.html for some turbo sessions.

Before you consider splashing out on some aero bars might be worth also checking that you do have the right size bike for yourself (if you haven't already!). Aero bars on a bike too big/long for you is a nightmare. You'd end up cycling like Graeme Obree!

Good luck me old china!
  • I haven't got any on my bike, it's a normal road one not a tri specific bike, but have been thinking about it just to give me a fourth position to change to during this Ironman to avoid stiffness. What sort should I be getting, I am not tall and don't want to be thrown way forward.
    Do I really need them though as I like being down on the "drops" (is that the right term) most of the time.
  • My view is that you have to really earn those gadgets :) After your first few tri's you may be ready for it! Wouldn't worry about it. You can go 25mph without aeros.

It's much more fun on the bike leg to pass people with a spoke, a disc or a super expensive bike. Makes me think: "Dude you got the equipment but I have the better legs" :)

• Monique, I would defo recommend tri bars for Austria. On a flat course they will a. really help with streamlining and b. be much more comfortable. Once you get used to the position you can really relax on the tri bars, its a very comfortable position, much less aggressive than being on the drops. Take a bit of getting used to though but you've got seven weeks or so, you'll be fine.

A good shop will guide you on the best ones to get, most are pretty adjustable, my bike is road geometry and the Profile Airstrykes are fine on it.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    So basically it's a choice between:
    a) get some tri bars
    b) get up at 5am and do hundreds of miles a week so you don't need them.

Hmmm....5am everyday or £50...difficult one...
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys

much appreciated!

I'll give em a miss for now!
  • Cheers Richard, I will get some soon, maybe give them a bash at Geel if I am used to them in time. The trouble is the "good" tri shop nearest to us is full of triathlon snobs who are really sniffy with rank amatuers (maybe our money is the wrong colour), the place were I bought my bike from are proper cyclists don't know if they have tri bars. I know I will go to tri cycling near to work they are very knowledgeable
  • Monique...
    tri bars also used in racing time trialing... 'proper' bike shop should still be able to help ya'...
  • Shows how much I know UT
  • Forget the aero bars and lose a pound or two - that'll make you go faster. No point in making the bike heavier than it already is.