Oxford Mail Town & Gown 10K

Glad to hear that the route has been changed as, after running this race three times, it was getting a little tedious. Lovely atmosphere though and good reporting of the event on the internet afterwards - with lots of photos.

Comments

• Just enterd online, never got around to doing this before so this will be my first year :-)
  • Have recently taken part in the Reading Half and although knocked 12 mins of my last half I was still a bit dissapointed with my time of 2.22 - Does anyone know whether this race is for the more serious runner or ok for those who want to improve on a bit of a naff time?
  • It's for everybody to try there best, fast or slow.
    I think this should have a good atmosphere :-)
  • I'm also doing this.

Anne-Marie, you'll be absolutely fine, and you won't be last! you'd prob finish the 10k in around an hour to 70 mins, there'll be lots of people finishing slower than that.
  • I would like to run as fast as I can, is this race a good choice to try to set a PB?
    Many thanks
    pancho
  • Francisco, I'm racing this for a fast time also, I've never thought of Oxford as being hilly.
  • The course is completely flat on really good surfaces. Can't speak for organisation / congestion having not run the race before, but it seems to have a good reputation and good course records.
  • Thanks Snail for your feedback! Will look out for you on the day, will you be the one with a shell on your back?
  • I reckon the Town and Gown is not the best race for a pb especially if you are in the middle of the pack. There are generally a lot of twists and turns and the course can get congested.

If you want a pb run the T&G for pleasure and the Bourton 10k for speed.

BO
  • I think the new route should be less congested and therefore faster than the previous one. It looks like there will be less corners.
    I'm looking forward to it - my fourth year.
  • Just applied on line with no probs. In at the deep end to get back into running, and train for the London 10K. All the feedback on the race has made me really look forward to it.
    Anne-Marie I'm hoping to beat a pb of 66mins so not whirlwind fast by anymeans. We'll be fine and have a laugh at the same time. See you all there!
    Lu
  • Also have just applied online. I am looking forward to this after a great debut experience in the Flora London Marathon. Look forward to finding out about the route.
  • Have most of the mad family running this as well as many people from the street. Hoping to go for the magic sub 40 after unexpectedly coming close to it at Shinfield. If it's flat (and the weather is okay) then am looking forward to it. Didn't expect that many people running (biggest field I've ever been in).
  • hi all.my first time doing this one.did silverstone on tuesady in 52.17 so aiming for sub 50mins on this one.wud b nice to maybe meet a few forumites here as i'm a bit shy so i don't really have the nerve to go up to sum1 and just start chatting.not sure what i'll b wearing yet.will prob not decide til the actual morning
  • I'll be running in club colours (Green and White). But from 3000 people it may be hard to spot someone.
  • Hi, i've only just started running, and this will be my first ever race - i was just wondering if anyone who has done it before can advise me on how hard this race is, and how serious!? I just did a 5K run on tarmac in 25:47, so i'm hoping to do it in under a hour. Anyone know what the weather is set to be like?
  • Hi Rozi. This will be my 4th time, I keep coming back so it must be good!
    There's about 3000 runners and it is well organized to cope with them all. There are some seriously fast people at the front but they are a minority. Most are out to have a good time, there are a few in fancy dress. One year I noticed some students had their friends set up a refuelling station, with beer! There are some who walk round with collecting buckets for charity. But most people are ordinary runners finishing in between about 40 - 75 minutes. So you should be fine.
    Good Luck.
  • I wish everybody best of like, I won't be racing this year but will be cheering on my boyfriend and my friend who is doing it. I just started to run but I hope to do some others races in the near future. Good luck to all.
  • Whats this about not getting a momento automatically? I got the impression it was a medal (or similar) for all finishers.
  • If you pay £10 you get a medal!
    Otherwise it looks like a certificate.

Another event where they use running to make money!
  • They make money for a good cause. If you want a medal I think it's reasonable to ask you to pay for it. Or I could send you one of mine I've got loads here in my drawer.
  • As a late entrant, i have not been sent my pack, and i have to pick it up on the day at the help desk. Could anyone who has done this race before tell me where it starts and where i ought to look for the help desk?! Thanx!
  • As a race director of a good cause event, we still managed to raise money & give out medals.
    A lot of those running this event will be first time runner's.
    My view is why not encourage them to look after their health & be less of a drain on the system.
    I've more medals than you I'm sure of that & I definetly don't need any more.
  • As a 10k virgin I'd just like your advice about whether its best to run at a decent pace and rely on your stamina training, go steady and have plenty in the tank for a quicker second half, or to run at even speed throughout.

Pretty basic stuff I know especially for a not particularly long race but, as I say, this is my first proper run. Am hoping to go round in about 45mins.

See you all there!
  • Rozi,

The Race starts in Parks Road, which is next to the University Parks. The help desk/race HQ is close to the finish inside the University Parks. Aim for the cricket pavilion and you should be close. Give yourself plenty of time if you're parking in Oxford - it can be a nightmare and you're charged for the privelege. I live in Oxford - let me know if you need more info.

Gareth
  • I don't know how much medals cost, I guess about 50p each. So by not giving medals Muscular Dystrophy get an extra £1500 which I'm sure they can do a lot with.

The memento is really a reward for raising at least £10 in sponsorship.

• Danny,
    Being your first race, I'd suggest you go steady & put what you feel you have left into the last 1-2km.
    With 3000 runners I'm sure you'll find it hard to start too fast anyway.
    Better to enjoy this one & look for another 10K in a few weeks time.

See you there.
  • Thanks Tim. 3000 does sound rather a lot for a race round what are quite tight city streets. I agree it does not sound ideal for being quick out of the blocks!
  • Thr race pack says the race starts in Parks Road, where it always has but the Oxford Mail (who are sponsors and should know!) says it starts in Crick Road.......anyone know for sure?
  • Go with the race pack. Never believe what you read in the papers...