RIP Ed Prickett

Evening all - yet more tragic news this week as another young British athlete is killed in an accident, aged only 21.

Ed Prickett (Crawley AC & Reigate Priory) was knocked down in Newcastle where he was for the British Universities Sports Association (BUSA) Champs being held at Gateshead this weekend.

I remember Ed as a 14 or 15 year old at inter county schools matches, and then in the last couple of years on the university running scene, just as I was finishing studying.

Ed was so talented, and I often saw him at races whether it be on the track, or in the Surrey Leagues over the country. My thoughts go out to his family and close friends.

Comments

• sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Its quite unbelievable.

Britain is being robbed of all of its young talent.

My best wishes to all that knew him.
  • I used to go to school with Ed from 1996-99 and we used to be very good friends before going to University. I only received the news this afternoon and am still in a bit of shock. Ed was one of those guys who everyone liked and no-one had a bad word to say about him. If i'm honest he inspired me to start running as i had so much admiration for his fitness and outlook. He will stay long in my memory and will be sorely missed. My thoughts go out to his family.

• Watched him win the 5k heat the same day. He did brilliantly. I hav alot of respect for people like him. Who would have thought what was about to happen. These are the sort of stories that really should not be true.

Again my thoughts lie with his family.
  • I'm lucky enough to say that Ed was one of my best friends, both in and outside of running. I knew him since he was about 13 running in the Surrey league U15 races. There was always a group of us on the coach going to Inter-County races, and he would always be there in the middle, giving us all stick, but taking it as well. I don't think I will ever meet another person so in love with and determined about his running- it was his life. I still can't believe that he has gone. Ed, you will always be with me in my heart and in my running.
    You will never be forgotten.
  • very sad

sincere condolences to his family and friends
  • As a member of RPAC can honestly say am absolutely numb having heard the news just few mins ago. When he was able to come to club nights he would always ask about your running, not blow his own trumpet, a decent, honest, quiet, modest young man. He will be greatly missed by all friends at Reigate Priory.
  • I've raced against Ed in Surrey League events - and lost by a long way - and he was a great talent. A huge loss. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
  • I met Ed in South Africa recently & found him very friendly & easy to get on with, I can't belive this has happen.
    Quite shocked!
  • Awful tragic news, my sincere condolences to all of his family and friends.

try to think of your good memories of him.
  • A life cut short is always tragic, but to lose a budding talent is doubly so.

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and collegues.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Awful news. He won our club's 10k in February last year. So young. My thoughts go out to all those who knew him.
  • Mike B, Cardinal - tried to email you but unable to - Ed's funeral is to take place later this week, feel free to email me direct for information if required.
  • Cheers, I've had the details already.
  • Good - i didn't know how exactly to put it on the web without appearing tactless.
  • I have only recently found out about Ed's tragic accident. He was a really great guy, and although I didn't know him very well, will miss him greatly.
    I ran with him at Nottingham University club runs, and although he was streaks ahead of me, he was never anything but supportive.
    We're all going to miss him so much, my heart is with his family and friends. Such a tragic loss, that couldn't have come at a worse time.
  • Some of Ed's friends from Nottingham University are running the London Marathon this year in memory of Ed. His parents want to associate his memory with the Ron Pickering Memorial Fund, who give grants to talented young athletes who are still in education, in the hope it will keep them in sport and to realise their potential.

http://www.justgiving.com/nuacfored