My first 10km

Decided to do a 10km run spur of the moment as a practise for another one in September and am so chuffed that I was able to run the whole distance. I am even more chuffed that although I obtained last place my time was 1hr 1min and 50 odd secs.
I am now feeling alot more confident about the race in September. One thing that did get me was my inability to catch a man who was about 30 secs in front of me. My mind wanted to catch him but the body wasn't willing. Is this down to lack of experience or could I do something in my training that would give me a little speed in the last mile?

Comments

• Well done Clarey

Don't worry about where you came you just did it. As you train more regularly you will find that the speed will improve. Don't rush into speed training though you need at least 3 months of distance training before you start that otherwise you will lay yourself open to injury.

Just remember there will always be someone 30 seconds in front you can't catch.

If you come down Bristol way I will be the one 30 secs behind you.

Well done and good luck
  • Hi anyone....
    I took up running in May, and did the Flora Light Ch 5k in 38mins. Would like to do a 10k in mid Nov(poss the Brighton 10k) but have been told that 90% of the field wouldn't be seen for dust at start and that on a 'there and back' basis it can be very daunting as most of the runners are on the way back when I wouldn't have reached half way - I wouldn't mind that too much - but dont want to be a lone figure coming out of the mist (or dust!)........ I have entered the FLM 03 and want to get some experience of racing, I presently train three times a week each time doing 5k in 30mins, have started interval also do some cross training.
    what do you think?
    Jen
  • Hi Jen,
    Well I started running in April and if I can do a 10K then anyone can. The race I did post their results on a website so I knew from previous year times that I would be near the end. There was just over a 100 runners and it was in a town in the middle of nowhere so I knew that it would only be done by good dedicated runners. The thing is you've got to start somewhere so just set a goal and try and achieve it. Mines was to run the whole race and if it took me an hour and a half then that was fine. I probably had the biggest smile of everyone when I crossed the line because I did what I set out to do and hey being last - who cares!
    I had only ever done the 10km distance once the week before and it was done by running 1.5 miles then walk a couple of mins, run 1.5 miles then walk etc till I reached 6 mile/10km distance.
    Give the longer distance a go, I'm sure you'll surprise yourself like I did.
    Give Brighton a go.
    Clare
  • Hi, just wanted to say well done Clare. Ive entered into the Nike 10k on the 22nd but havent done a lot of the training. I was going to drop out as Im going to find it very difficult to get there in time and wasnt sure that I could do the distance.

But thanks to your inspiration Im going to go for it...

PS your very brave to enter a race where there were so few people. I dont think my pride could cope with being last..

• Clarey, well done. That's good running!

I've entered a local 10K on 22nd September. It's said to be hilly, it's my first race over the distance, it will be a small field, mostly of club runners - and I don't care if I'm last, or if I have to rake the odd walking break, so long as I can say that I've done my best. And hey, because it's my first 10K I'm definitely going to set a 10K PB that day.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • That's exactly what I say V-Rap. I'm doing my first 10K on 6th October (Southend) and I just want to finish..!! Like you say, whatever I do will be a PB! There is another 10K this weekend locally to me, but it says on RW 'Events' that it's rural, which I'm a bit scared of (does that mean it's cross-country? Sorry to be thick!!!, but I've only really done road-running). I don't know whether to enter it or not... Well done to you Clarey...!! You should be very proud of yourself.
    Michelle x
  • Michelle, if it's cross-country it will say cross-country or XC. Rural usually just means out of town on roads or footpaths. So you should be safe to have a go this weekend if that's the only thing that's deterring you.

Good luck!
  • I'm running my first 10K on 15th (national 10K, Moreton). I've been a bit ill recently and was also thinking of backing out. That was until I went for a run last night in the dark and pouring rain and I felt really good. I did about 4.5miles in 41mins so now I'm looking to complete the 10K in under 60 minutes - is this realistic?
  • Well done to all of you - I find reading these messages such an inspiration!

I don't usually post on these boards... but am feeling especially proud of myself today, so thought why not!?

I have entered the Nike 10k, have never run such a distance, but usually do about 5km at the gym or outside in the weekends. Last night I went to the gym determined to run around 4 miles... but once I got going I felt great and ended up doing 6.2 (which I'm told is 10km). I felt so good afterwards, and am now confident that I will be able to run the entire 10km in just over a week's time.

If I can do it, anyone can!
  • Thanks V-Rap - that's put my mind at rest.. I think I will give it a go as it will give me something to aim for at the Southend 10K on 6th October. I'll let you know how I get on. I've just got back from a 6 mile run.. did it in 53.36, which I was really pleased about.. roll on Sunday!!!
    Michelle x
  • Well done all.
    Its all a bit scary, youre all faster than me!!
    To RW to read about speedwork
  • Scooby, well done. Phillipa, welcome. Please stick around - we have some great virtual parties on here.

Great time today, Michelle. I wasn't up to your standard - decided to challenge myself with a 7-mile run (approximately) which included a sustained climb towards the end. It took me about 70 minutes. There will probably be more and bigger hills on race day.

Benz, you're bound not to be the slowest. What was your Cardiff marathon time? I'll but you a pint of gin next time we meet if it was slower than my time for London this year.
  • Sorry, benz, I meant to say that I'll BUY you a pint of gin rather than hinting that you'd get it in the form of a Glasgow kiss.
  • Five hours, fifty nine miutes and eight seconds
    Wheres my gin???
    Whats Dunfermline like, thinking of applying for a consultant job there
  • Well good luck to Phillippa, Scooby Loo and Michelle in your respective 10km. Just focus on yourself and don't worry about what other people are doing. I'm doing the Edinburgh City Challenge a week on Sunday but training is going terrible at moment. Any excuse and I don't do it.
    To Benz, I moved to Dunfermline area 2 years ago and I'll say only one word that sums up Dunfermline - RAIN!!
  • Are there any nice pubs??
    Used to rain, I live in WALES
  • You'll get your gin, benz. But only just! Mine was 5:57:56.

Now we need to find a race to meet at. Unless you apply for a job in Birmingham, of course.

Dunfermline...don't know it well, but parts of Fife are quite scenic. Cold, less wet than the west coast, windy. Impenetrable accent. Easy to get to Edinburgh. Pop into St Andrews and grab yourself a prince.
  • Be VERY afraid vrap!!
    Theres a job in stourbridge Im looking at which isnt far away
    And my sister lives in Balsall Common.
    Actually, a pint of gin isnt even half a litre is it?
    If I eat before my next marathon i might just beat your time
    see you(Ha Ha) at the GNR
  • I know my time wasn't bad at all for me - but I'm such a lightweight - it's all flat - no hills or anything!!! Think I'd better try and vary my runs a bit instead of sticking to the flat road - need some hills to boost my stamina I think! I'm scared now about that 10K on Sunday - I've looked it up and apparently there were only 200 runners entered for last year.. oh god, I know I'm gonna come last, I bet they're all proper runners with long, lean, toned legs..!!! Might put a bandage on my knee - try & make people feel sorry for me when I trail in last....!!
    Michelle x
  • Michelle, don't worry. Please!

I did a race just like that at the weekend. Lots of strong silent long-legged types in club regalia. Don't let them intimidate you. They're probably nervous as can be too.

The person who came in last got the biggest cheer (I think - but then I wasn't around when the first person came in).

Ruth, I shall bring that pint of gin to the GNR and you'd better be there to relieve me of it because otherwise it will meet its doom. Gin is one of the few alcoholic drinks I feed surreptitiously to people's pot plants rather than swallowing it myself.

I didn't realise they HAD kidneys in Stourbridge...different species, these Black Country people. Hope you like the look of it - the West Midlands isn't such a bad place. Balsall Common, eh? Posh family, then? I'm sure I got my first job in Birmingham on the strength of the fact that, when asked at interview about my travel arrangement, I said I was staying with fmily friends in Knowle.
  • Thanks V-Rap..! Still might put a bandage on my leg though - go for the sympathy vote.. might even limp when (if!), I cross the finishing line...!!!! 'Aaaw, look at her, she's got an injured knee, but has still managed to finish....'
    Michelle x
  • Careful, Michelle - they're more likely to think, "Hah, stupid girl, she should know better than to try to run a race when she's injured". Unless you put on a logo'd vest and pretend you're running for charity. Or pretend you pulled a muscle during the warm-up (in which case you need a very convincing limp but no Tubigrip).
  • Ok thanks for the tip V-rap!!!
    Michelle x
  • Hi all,
    Just to let you know, I did my first 10K race today, at Hadleigh in Essex. I got round in 54.40 - which I was quite pleased with for my first attempt!! Looking forward to the next 10K now - try & improve on my time!
    Michelle x
  • Well done , excellent time for a debut!
  • Thanks Dustin! Just printed off a 10k Schedule from RW to try & improve my time.. mind you, my next one is on 6th October at Southend (Essex), so not a lot of time to improve!
    Michelle x
  • well done lass!!
    id be pleased just to do it in under an hour
  • MM ✭✭✭
    My big sister and I are doing our first 10K race on Sunday in Edinburgh and up until now I was not in a panic about it - not like my sister, who thinks the roadsweeper that follows the field will overtake us and we will be last!!!(why did they have to include that part in the race pack??!!) Having read through these threads and seen the times people have achieved i'm beginning to believe the roadsweeper WILL overtake us!! We are estimating 1hr 15 mins - is this rubbish for a first 10K??? Anyone else running on Sunday who is not elite??!! Anyone else run in previous Edinburgh City Challenges?? What is the course and atmosphere like??

Can anyone calm my nerves?!!
  • Well done Michelle!

I ran my first 10K yesterday - National 10K fun run at Moreton, did it in 53:16 - very very pleased with this! Bloody hard work though!
    Not sure if I will enter another in a hurry - can hardly walk today !!!
  • Hey M,

It will be fine - whatever time you do it in! I did my first 10k last sunday (8 sept) and my time was 67:29. Not setting the world on fire with the time, but I was chuffed to bits at that!

I finished and I did it - that was all that mattered. Felt incredibly virtuous for the rest of the day!!

Got another on sunday, up here in Leeds.. hope to slightly better my time, but at the end of the day, it is exercise and I am getting fitter!

Good luck and go for it!

go-slow