Longest long run

I have been reeding through some of the current threads and it seems to be if you are training for a half marathon you should aim for your longest long run to be ideally about 15 miles. Looking at marathon training schedules the longest seems to be 21 miles. I personally would like to complete 26 miles in training before taking part in a marathon, what are your views?!

Comments

• Common wisdom seems to be that it's not a good idea once you get to the marathon distance, although it is for things like half marathons.

I think it's partly because running that far puts too much strain on your body to do it just before doing it "for real".

Paula Radcliffe was interviewed, and I can't remember the precise distance of her longest run, but it wasn't over 22 miles, and it may well have "only" been 20.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    I would tend to agree with Iain. Unless you do 26 miles + on a regular basis it would probably be counter productive to run this far. If you can do 22 or 23 miles when you are in the middle of a heavy training programme then doing 26.2 miles should be a doddle when you've tapered for 2 or 3 weeks!
  • Thanks guys, if its good enough for Paula its good enough for me!