Disappointing start

I started the beginners running schedule today and can't believe how unfit I am. I could only do half of the 8 sets of run 1min walk 90secs before I started feeling sick and a bit dizzy. Did anyone else have problems just doing the east stuff? I think the problem might have been that I was going downhill and I didn't realise how steep it was until I turned round to go uphill. I will try a flatter area on Wednesday.

Comments

• Hi Seonaid

I only started running in February to train for the Women's 10k in Glasgow in the May. The first night my friend and I went out we honestly nearly died - we were knackered. We found out that we were trying to run too fast. My husband, who has been running since he was 12, took us out a few times and kept us to a slower pace until we gradually picked up. We are still running and ran 10k in 54 mins last weekend which we were chuffed to bits about.

My advice would be to run with someone else - it is much more fun and you have someone to keep you going.

Cheers for now,

June
  • Hi Seonaid,

Well done for making a start. The first time I tried running I managed 2 minutes and then had to walk. That was at the end of January this year and yesterday I ran the Great South Run which is 10 miles. My point is that if I can do it then anyone can.

Don't be hard on yourself, don't expect miracles to happen overnight and certainly don't give up. It takes time to establish a good level of fitness and then perseverence and sheer hard slog/sweat to build speed and stamina.

Please keep trying and let us know how you get on. You've done the hardest bit already - you've made a start.

Good luck

Susie
    ps definitely try somewhere flat to begin with.

• Seonaid, there would be no harm in going back to pre-beginner level for a couple of weeks and making each session a brisk walk to bring your aerobic fitness base up a little.

And RUN SLOW. Don't try to sprint. Do the runs at only a little faster than the fastest pace at which you can comfortably walk. It takes practice, but the speed and the distance will come, and one day you'll look at that hill and think, "Only a few months ago I got dizzy just trying to run on that". Honestly.

And yes, FWIW, I had a very slow start.

Keep posting!

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Hi Seonaid - I think the easy stuff is actually the hard stuff...my first time out (only a month or so ago) I was a quivering wreck after two minutes running. Not so much unfit as catatonic. But I'm finding that it does get a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable. And finding this forum helps keep me motivated. So, as V-rap says, keep posting!
  • Seonaid; I started in June after a gap of thirteen years, and on the first morning I seriously could not run across the road! Now, nearly three months later, having run three times each week since, I can run 1.5 miles and hit a personal best this morning of 14 minutes, just slightly more than a 9 minute mile. I've discovered there aren't any easy answers - some mornings it feels really easy, and other times (like today), I truly feel like I am going to collapse. Some things that have helped me are:-
    singing a song in my head to keep my rhythm going....... counting my breathing; breath in for two strides, breath out for two....... not looking ahead (it can be too daunting), but concentrating on the small are of road in front of me.......... drinking less alcohol! And do keep in touch with everyone here - they are SO motivating, and I'm sure will have much better help for you than I do. Good luck! Just keep doing it!
  • Hey, Senoaid!

I'd just like to say that I agree with all the comments from the others!

The main thing is that you've made the decision to give it a go. I started shambling (what I do could never be called running) 3 years ago in an attempt to lose some weight - it worked! I now have the added bonus that I really enjoy my shambles, so much so that I have entered my first "evnent" - the Nike RunLondon on September 22nd.

If it can happen to me - it can happen to anyone!

Happy Shambling!
  • Hi Seonaid,

When I first went out running, back in April, I did 1 minute running followed by 4 minutes walking and repeated this 4 times. Now I can run for 30 minutes straight. It doesn't matter where you start, what matters is that you go at a pace that suits you and make your 'runs' achievable, otherwise you'll end up feeling demotivated. I never expected to make so much progress over 5 months and even though it was hard at first I'm really glad I persevered. Good luck!
  • My suggestion is study slow. run slow for ten steps, and then run even slower, for ten steps, and then even slower than that. And of course, walk in between.

The next stage is, make yourself run really slowly, and then allow yourself just a short turn of speed, (which used to be what you thought was slow) and then slow down again.

What is lovely is when you find yourself wanting to go faster!