RW pace calculator tables

I've just clicked on a new link to these tables, and to my dismay, the target time table only goes up in 10-second increments (for 1 mile) up to 8 minutes. Then it leaps to 9 minutes, then to 10 minutes.
What about all those of us who run between those speeds? We're just as interested to know what our target time could be as our faster running friends.
What does anyone else think?

Comments

• Hey, it could be worse Sue! I clicked on this and my pb at 10k is so slow it's not even on the scale! ooooh dear, and only 5 weeks to my 1st half marathon too, not what I wanted to know! I will not panic, I will not panic.....

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • As someone who measures their speed in KMs not in Miles, the table is also a bit frustrating. I understand my km/h pace and could then, make comparisons, but never think about my mile splits. Am I the only ones who is fully metric?
  • you should be able to work out the time. Work out the difference between the times. Divide the difference by ten (if the gap is 10s), and multiply it by the amount of seconds you want to work out. Then take that number and add it onto the time before it.
    It's like using statistical tables, if you've ever had to use them.
  • Andy! Hooray! Another person who learned what they were taught in school! Fully metric, I assure you. Wouldn't know an inch or a pound if they came up and bit me. I assume everyone born within oooooh, the last 30 years or so only know metric too and just learn the rest in bits and pieces. Metric every time....
  • It's an American calculator and they've yet to see the light.
  • I'm a mile man every time. A bit of simple mental maths should suffice to convert them to kms.

If I had my way we'd go back to 440 yard tracks and destroy those weaving machines in the mills:)
  • DIY shops have caught on, but go to a timber merchants and you can buy 3m lengths of 3" X 2". Go figure!!

Personally I am 6' tall and 83 kilos!!

Mixing up weights and measures makes for an interesting life - and confuses the tourists :-)
  • yes, but why are road signs still in miles? I really have no idea what a mile is made up of - I can judge kilometres, did it in school, but aren't miles made up of furlongs or something weird?? Petrol is in litres, no? Litres per mile ratios anyone?
  • Ah, petrol in litres is our government messing with us; we used to know the value of petrol when expressed in gallons, to make it 'appear' cheaper the sale unit suddenly changed to litres. Convert it back to gallons and scare yourself!!

Look on your speedo, how fast are you going?? How much pressure do you put in your tures?? What do you drink in pubs???

Cool eh? :-)
  • I want to know why they're replacing the signs denoting the gradiants of hills from 1:8 to a %age. They only seem to be replacing odd ones too rather than a universal change.
    I get soooo confused and have to get my hubby to convert them for me. I mean what are they a %age of? It just doesn't make any sense... I might have to start an aerosol campaign and add the proper figures to all those nasty new signs!

... rant.. rant..

• I believe they are the sine of the angle between the plane of the earth's surface and the road (i.e. the percentage of climb per distance travelled along the hypotenuse - road surface). This is different from the tangent (climb per distance travelled along) however at the angles of most roads is a close enough approximation.
  • AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    Just for Donalda Bint

12 inch = 1 foot
    3 feet = 1 yard
    5.5 yards = 1 rod/pole/perch
    4 perch = 1 chain
    10 chains = 1 furlong
    8 furlongs = 1 mile

Much easier than using multiples of 10 all the time!!!
  • Here's a great unit converter. OK, it's in Danish, but it's intuitive:
    http://www.motion-online.dk/unitconverter.htm
    And here is a split converter from a ruval mag:
    http://www.runningtimes.com/pace/splits/splits.htm
    And here is a running pace calculator (not quite so intuitive but v useable):
    http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~snsgrubb/athletics/pacecalc.html