Drinking while running

I have only been running for about 4 months and can run 5km in about 30 - 35 minutes, which I am quite happy about.

I always have to have a bottle of water with me as I constantly need to drink whilst running. The only problem is my hand and arm feel weird and sore after running for a while while holding the bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions on any other ways to carry water while running?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Annette,

I've just started doing long runs for which I need to take water and I've found a belt with a bottle holder and pockets works for me. You have to get used to getting the bottle out of the holder whilst running but once you've got the hang of it then it's easy. Also you've got somewhere to put your keys, emergency money, plasters etc. Mine only cost £8.99 from Sweatshop.

Susie

• The water bottles with a hole through the middle, that you slot your hand through are quite good. They are only about £3 and are not too heavy (i think the largest one holds a pint...of water that is). you can get quite a good grip on the bottle,so is easier to carry. Also it sounds obvious but try swapping hands every so often.
    ajb.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    If you do weight training for your upper body this will also help.

You could also try using something like lucozade sport as the pouches are very easy to carry, although the drink leaves a lot to desire. They are also very easy to refill with water.
  • The only solution I have found is to use a backpack. The only problem is that you need to stop to retrieve water, but this is not too bad.

It incorporates weight training as well. I also carry a sweatshirt to wear during the warm down to stop getting cold, and a waterproof as you cacn never tell over here
  • I use the 'bottles with a hole in the middle' because they are very comfortable to run with & very cheap.

They are alos fairly easy to drink out of on the move, although I'd prefer a bigger nozzle because there you do have to suck to draw water through (maybe it's just because I've got a big gob!)
  • you could also drop off a water bottle half way around the run (in the car) so at least you dont have to carry it for the first half of your run. ie hide it behind a hedge or gate post etc...etc..
  • Hi Annette

I'm new to running but have done a lot of cross country cycling. We use something called a camel pak - you strap them to your back and use a tube located near the shoulder strap. youll find them in most decent cycle shops.