Scottish Runners

Comments

• Thanks Jane for your reply, i have tried looking for the perth roadrunners site, looking at links from SAF and BAF but i don't think one exists.
    I'll certainly look to get out and run in the local area soon, for now though i'll stick to running around the west end of town, very quiet and well lit.
  • Anybody doing the Jack Crawford race on 18th Jan at Bishopbrigs, done it last year and would thourghly recomend it. Good flat course, good turn out and plenty of spot prizes(if thats your thing), also it's a Saturday race(2.30)ahh sheer bliss! should'nt every race be on a Saturday. If you fancy a break from the monotony of your winter training give it a go.
  • Hi all
    I am also from Scotland. Auchtermuchty in Fife. Haven't run now for 9 weeks as recovering from a DVT but have started back today. Was always very slow anyway. I have done the Smokies 10 several times. Great race and great feed afterwards. Good prize list.
    Matthew I don't know if they have a web site but I think they come under Perth and Strathtay Harriers. Try phoning the Bell Sports Centre they might have some info on them.
  • Hi Running Tim, what distance is the Jack Crawford Race on 18th January as Bishopbriggs is reasonably local?

P.S. Belated Christmas wish to all race organisers would it be too much trouble to add the distance to your race name! (or am I the only runner without psychic powers)

i.e. Gauldry Gallop, Hugh Wilson Memorial RR, Pitmedden Forest Race

• I'm a Scot (from new Stevenston, near Motherwell) living and working in Lancashire. I still get back home half a dozen times a year and enjoy running there in Strathclyde Park.
  • TicketyBoo

The Gauldry Gallop and Pitmedden race distances and courses vary from year to year. Being rural farming communities we have to arrange with the farmers and landowners as to what land will be available for us. They are usually between 5 and 7 miles. The gauldry gallop course had to be changed a week or two before the race day itself due to pheasant shooting in the woods not being compatible with cross country running. Doesn't this make the race a little more interesting?????!
    If you are desperate to know the distances involved then just give the race organisers a phone or check out Fife acs website.
  • Matthew
    For Perth road runners contact Jean Wainwight, 23 Gannochy road, Perth, im not sure of the phone number sorry!
    Fife AC are also local to you (contact no. 01337 830306.)

• what distance is the Jack Crawford race ot Bishopbriggs on sat 18th. may take part as it is just up the road.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Since there's all you Scots here in one place, perhaps I can ask you something -

Do energy bars taste better deep fried in batter?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Yes. Even better with a side portion of chips and brown sauce.
  • and washed down with a can of irn bru!
  • Matt,

I believe the Jack Crawford is a 10k. The contact no for further info is 0141 775 2672.
  • Hi Matthew
    if you manage to find out anything about the Perth club let me know on this site as when I am a bit fitter and can run further I would be interested to see if they have a slow group that I could join up with as I start a new job in Perth next week so maybe in a few months I could join them.
    Ta
  • Speedy G

I have searched the web but Perth Roadrunners don't have a website. The best they have is a link on the Scottish Athletics site which gives the name and address below.

Jean Wainwight, 23 Gannochy road, Perth

Gannochy road is on the east side of town, not far from the Tay.
    I'll probably get in touch with them in a month or two when i've got my times down and worked off the Christmas beer and cakes.
    They must be a reasonable size as looking at the results from many of the local races in 2002, there were a number of racers attached to them.

Matt
  • Another one from Inverness, training for the Lochaber marathon at the end of April. Assuming I haven't lost some toes to frostbite by then of course.
  • Hope I don't get chucked out of here but do I count as a "Scottish Runner" as an Englishman living in Dundee who has only participated in Scottish races and in training for the Edinburgh Marathon?!?

Also, where is bishopbriggs and what's the Inverness half like?

Cheers

S
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Ok, you can be an adopted Scot, Steve. But you have to eat a whole haggis to yourself to prove you are worthy!

Bishopbriggs is near Glasgow (I'll probably get corrected for that - maybe actually IN Glasgow).

The Inverness Half is flat, scenic and well organised, with a pretty good quality t-shirt, medal and goody bag. The entry limit has been raised to 1200 this year, although there were about 800 finishers last year. There are NO entries on the day, so if you fancy it, you have to pre-enter. It's pretty reasonable too, only £11 entry last year.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Dougal - it is a bit nippy here this morning isn't it. I passed 2 runners this morning while driving to work in my nice warm car, and actually felt quite glad I didn't get into London. I'll stick with the Loch Ness marathon in September - so I can train over the summer!
  • To all those enquiring; Bishopbrigs is to the north of Glasgow up Springburn road and to those located locally the race headquarters are in a leisure centre(forget it's name)on Balmuildy Rd. The race itself is a flat run up one side of the forth and clyde canal over a bridge and return other side of canal to the finish, with good facilities at finish.
    To all those hoping to be there I shall be wearing black woolly bunnet with Fila logo on front, in my forties and due to injuries hoping for a time of 45mins or less, give me a dunt should there not be too many of us dressed accordingly.
    To all runners new to scotland and/or the race scene please feel free to contribute, directions and contact numbers I hope will be freely availiable, as indeed the same with ex-pats, hoping eventually to turn this thread into a forum so the more postings it gets the more realistic the chances of obtaining that goal.
  • Forgot to mention it is indeed a 10k and entry on the day is 6 or 7 pounds
  • Mr SG was talking about going up to do the Inverness 1/2 this year. We both did it several years ago and really enjoyed it. Can't remember much about the course except the wind coming along the last mile to the finish!!
    Might see those of you who are running it if we make it.
  • the inverness half is a great day out. i usually take the other half and my daughter and stay in a B+B the night before and avoid the 3 hour travel from glasgow. the course has some great scenery and some hills but nothing too severe. i have yet to talk to anyone who didn't enjoy the race or inverness itself.

you can get all the info you need at

www.invernesshalfmarathon.co.uk

p.s. can anyone tell me how to do a hyperlink.
  • running tim.

hope to be there. if i make it i'll introduce myself and put a face to the name.

matt.
  • Hello again, I am hoping to do Inverness and the Loch Ness this year and am training for my second marathon this one over at Connemara, Ireland.

Is there any of you Invernesians in a running club up here?

I have found that Running Fitness magazine lists the runs well, colour coding on each of the dates so finding your area runs is easy.
  • Hi Folks, really pleased to see that people are still posting messages here. We all need to keep this going to encourage RW to give us our own forum.
    Interesting that most of you are living up North. I expected to hear from more people in Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Robert
  • Think I may also give the Bishopbriggs run a try. Also looking to do the Grangemouth Round the Houses Run on the 16th Feb.
    Hope to see some of u at either of these.

Robert
  • here's a glasgow boy!

can walk to the bishopbriggs race from my house.

done the round the houses race last year, 99% flat with the finish in the stadium.

go for it.
  • Another cold one this morning too - at least the snow hasn't come to much. Sarcy, I'm in Inverness Harriers, joined recently as we've just moved here, www.invernessharriers.ork.uk if you need to know more, or are you already running with them?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've been to the Harriers Wednesday night run a couple of times, but found it difficult to make it on time, as I worked out of town at the time. Now I am working back in Inverness, I may just be tempted to go along again - once the snow disappears!
  • The snow is half the fun;) I've found the Tuesday track sessions useful, quite a few groups of varying speeds and at least confines the pain to a relatively short time span.