Pacing

I'm totally reliant upon my HRM to get my pacing right, but I'm not too sure what 'threshold' and 'marathon pace' actually means.

I do all my long runs in the aerobic zone (70-80% max) and tempo runs in the anaerobic zone (80-90% max), but dunno where these fit into the scheme of things when I see 'threshold' or 'marathon pace' on a training schedule.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Multi, I used to be reliant on my HRM also but like you got a big headache trying to keep up with all the zones, so I got rid of HRM and train by sessions and your watch i.e. speed work timed reps of 400, 800 1000m and so on, tempo runs pick a route were you know the mileage and set yourself a time window to compete it in, same principal for slow runs. Long runs either decide on a known route and build up the miles or an amount of time you wish to run for.

But if you want answer to your actual question, Marathon pace is what it says i.e. if your marathon time is 3.30 then your pace is 8mm.

Threshold training bit more tricky so I recommend you visit the link below which may give you a better idea.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=726

Hope this helps

CA

• Thanks CA. Much appreciated!
  • Multi - I can lend you a book on how to use your HRM if you like, which explains all those terms and more - it's quite useful, if a bit techy for me. I had to get Mr Snail to read it, set my HRM for me and then tell me what to do, but that's because I find all of that stuff really boring. He, on the other hand, found it fascinating, but then, he did buy it for me for Xmas, along with my Garmin Forerunner. Blokes and gadgets, eh?

Email me if you want to read it and I'll bring it along tomorrow night. If you ever turn up... ;-)