waterproof gear - suggestions?

I really hate gyms and would rather carry on training outside year round. Can anyone advise on good waterproof gear or simply on the feasibility of continuing to train outside?

Thanks

Comments

• I find that my skin is quite naturally waterproof :-)

seriously though, I do get too hot in proper waterproof stuff, doesn't let me breathe enough. I prefer to run in the dri-fit type stuff which doesn't get too soggy, and dries out fairly quick when the showers stop. Also a baseball cap keeps most of it out of your face.

I've just come back from a 50 min run in the rain and it was lurvely (though I'm sure I wouldn't be so keen in the middle of winter!)
  • I started running a year ago and I ran all through winter. As it got colder, I bought new kit - a pair of long-leg Ronhill tracksters, various long sleeve wicking T-shirts and the odd thicker fleecy type top together with a lightweight rain proof running jacket (£8 from Aldi!!!) and Ronhill high-viz vest (I run early mornings)...
    When it got too cold I wore wicking gloves and a woollen hat. I thoroughly enjoyed running through winter and I was never too cold - if anything I got too hot for wearing too many layers...
  • Running in the rain is great :-) - I don't bother with waterproofs ( although I probably would if I was going out for several hours). A decent "wicking" top won't get heavy/cold/chafe.

In the winter, I just wear slightly thicker tops and gloves.- Running in NewYork last January (0 degrees FARENHEIT!) is the only time when this hasn't been enough(brr)
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I'd second fraggles cap suggestion - even if the rest of you is getting wet, it makes a big psychological difference if your eyes are clear. I use a lightweight "Hilly" one that wicks quite well and doesn't absorb rain. (cotton ones would be uncomfortable)
  • Now I know why they say "only mad dogs and englishman"!!!!!
  • If it's really tipping down then a lightweight shell jacket won't keep the rain out but it will at least stop you getting wind chill in your wet clothes.
  • Don't spend a fortune on a waterproof jacket. RW themselves said in a review that running produces too much sweat for the idea of clothing letting sweat out but not letting rain in. A £15-20 rip stop jacket and wicking t shirt, shorts in summer even in the rain.