3 halfs in a month....

In March I'm running 3 Half marathons.
Warminster on the 2nd, Bath the 16th and Forest of Dean the following week.
Do you think this is too much?
I've done 2 half marathon's before and my PB is 1hr 41mins.
I would like to better this but I'm not sure whether 3 in a month will help.

Comments

• If you want to run at maximum and get a good new PB in the half marathon then you should really aim for one race only over the month. However, there is no reason why you can't run Warminster at training pace as a practice long run and then try for the PB at Bath or better the Forest of Dean.
    There are more than enough races around throughout the year, don't overdo it and risk injury. Most of the top athletes such as Paula Radcliffe, race sparingly in order for peak performance on the day.
  • I think depending on your experience and fitness, running 3 halfs in a month is ok - but it really depends what you want out of them as mentioned above. I'd take the first one easy, then go for a PB on the second.
  • Agree with both comments above. I'm doing the Silverston, Reading and Bath 1/2s. I know of at least two others doing similar races so it depends on what you want out of them.

Signed up for Reading way back, then Silverston came along (wanted to rub my petrol head brothers nose in it) and Bath (late entry through RW which was one of my want to do races). Two have RW pacers in it, so they will be more of a training run for me.

Take it easy though.
  • I'm in agreement with Muzzer. I'm doing the Watford, Silverstone and Wokingham. I only intend to race Wokingham, the others are just training runs at slightly faster pace than if i were running 13 miles on my own.

It's part of my marathon training. I do one long run a week and a 90 min run, so this fits in nicely.
  • Bidders,
    Last Autumn I did three half marathons in three weeks.( actually 22 days between first an dlast)I had taken up running at the end of 2001 primarily to do FLM.During the summer I did some 5 and 10ks but maybe only one training run a week of about 5-8 miles. My first 1/2 was New Forest and I did my PB 1hr 47. then a multi terrain , which was 1h 50m then a road/flat course but in wind and rain , and matched my 1hr 47. I was aiming at 1hr 45. From memory I did not "train" at all in between the 1/2s and generally did not feel heavy legged or tired, though of course I didn't improve on my 1hr 47.
    In my mind I was "racing" each one , not being aware of taking it easy. 3 weeks later I tried my last 1/2 of 2002 in Salisbury hoping to break my 1hr45 target but did 1hr 48m.
    This was a personal challenge really , and probably a bit stupid as may have injured myself , but I may do again this year to see if I have improved!.
    B
  • I think you'll be fine if you listen to your body. We are not elite athletes and I don't think the pace we run at we need quite so much recovery. I think the only problem might be with the third if you want a pb and that is the fastest course - otherwise 2 weeks in between is more than enough.
  • Thanks for the help guys.
    Bath is the fastest course, I think I'll treat Warminster as a training run and go for a PB at Bath. Forest Of Dean is a trails run, so will be alot slower.