Energy Drinks - Flat Coca Cola or Pepsi

I remember a couple of years back watching a major championships Marathon where all the lead runners were coming up to a drink station. The commentators said that each runner had their own energy drinks and they had to identify which was their's (no surprises there).

They then went on to say that a lot of runners that year actually had flat coke in their bottles.

Can you anyone confirm whether that was the case, if it's any good and actually works as an energy drink?????

Comments

• ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I think the intense sugar/caffeine combo can help pick people up for the last few miles of a long race & there seems to be some evidence that caffeine may help kick in the fat-burning process earlier, however I can't see that it would be good too early in the race. You'd really want the slower release maltodextrin type carbs with electrolytes for the mid-race drinks.

And of course plenty of low-intensity long 120min+ runs in your build up so your body is learning to burn fat for itself without artificial aids! that'll help a lot more...
  • Thanks Chaos. Just wondering whether there was any merit to this as a "cheap" and "nice tasting" alternative to energy drinks.

As I'm not planning marathon training yet guess it doesn't matter!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    It's well known as a tummy-settler. Particularly after an open water swim in triathlon.

• ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Is it really much cheaper?

If you buy the powdered energy drinks such as SIS GO I'd be surprised if they are any more per litre (i'm ignoring bottles of lucozade sport).
  • Don't know to be honest, I'll look into it.
  • The company renamed itself as Monster Beverage in 2012 and then sold its Hansen's juices and sodas and other non-energy drink brands to The Coca-Cola Company in 2015. As of 2020, Monster held nearly 39% of the $57 billion US energy drink market.
    https://pepsicoworld.cabanova.com