Lyke Wake Race 42

Comments

• Good luck to everyone doing this years LW, I did the walk many many years ago when I was at college and all I can remember about it was the long curve of the rail track , the wet and that the finish never seemed to get any closer.
    I've still got the little coffin badge that we all got for completing the walk.
    Once again, good luck to you all and I'll be watching for the post race reports.
  • Is the Queen Katherine the main drinking establishment

Presumably we will all make our way there at some point

Loz- i'm in the YHA tommorrow
    may try and make it tonight - it depends on when I arrive - am supposed to be camping.

• Don't forget to look out for a blue Toyata people carrier with a roof box in the camp site next to a large green tent.
    We'll probably be too late to go visiting pub once we've got sorted.
  • ... and miss out on all that carbo loading tim?

• Life's just too hectic, we're going to be late as it is and probably get held up on the M62 mutter mutter.
    Still, I can send texts to the Hippo mobile.
  • Loz

I am booked into YHA tonight as well now as I can leave work a little earlier than thought

Leaving London at 5.30

see you all tonight or tomorrow
  • Bryan, just remembered-the team from Leeds, do they still need me? Am I registered with them now? I ought to meet up with some of them at the start!
  • Have a good one everybody, I wish I was coming.
  • Good luck everyone. Would love to do this, whilst at the same time probably glad I'm not!
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    good luck to everyone doing this - hope the weather is as good as forecast or better.
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    If two Americans have turned up at a pub on the North Yorks moors they have never watched American Werewolf in London.
  • Not long now till the first one arrives.
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Does everyone tend to arrive in a large group, Lestrade, or does it get strung out despite the handicapping?
  • any news of how everyone is doing?

i really hope the weather is better than here
  • Well, i'm in West Yorkshire and the weather has been pretty good today, not too cold or warm and only a bit of spitting rain earlier. The north of yorkshire can't be too much different! Hope everyone who did this had fun.
  • Well, how did you all get on?
  • Any sign of the first survivors yet?

• Blimey, I logged on especially to find out, how this race went, as if not for injury, I would have been doing it

Thought there would have been news by now!
  • LFVLFV ✭✭✭
    And me. Do you think they have been werewolfed?
  • Do we need to send out a search party? A tractor to pull them out of a bog?
  • I've survived!
    Shame you couldn't make it Liz, it would of suited you I think, hope the cats ok.
    Well it was a venture into the unknown for most of us distance wise and I don't think I particularly won't to ever run that far again, but at the same time I'm very glad I did it. For me it was one of those things in life that you have to do. Met up with Tim and NMP at the start and we were guided along by a very nice man called Alan, a veteran of this race, so no probs with navigation, plus NMP had his GPS, which was excellent. We also ran with Casper for a bit, but unfortunately he had to pull out injured. We were in the middle of the bogs, which Tim enjoyed immensely, when we passed Hippo. I must apologise for not realising it was you, Hippo, but to be honest I didn't even see you, you were on a different path! It was only when Tim shouted that we realised he was with you. Tim stayed with PH for a while and myself and NMP carried on. It was a great feeling to see the mast, not quite so great to have to carry on past it though. We finished in 9.07, very relieved and resisted to urge to race each other to the line. Thanks Bryan for a great race and the gin of course, very much appreciated, though it went straight to my head and thanks all for your company, you made the running easier. I'll let the rest tell their own stories when they get back. Oh and my legs are absolutely battered today.

• no search party needed then,.... well done all of you!
  • Well done Loz! I know what you mean about it being one of those things in life you just have to do. That is the only explanation I could give about contemplating doing such a thing. Should I do it next year?? How bad were the bogs? Would navigation be really tricky without someone who knows where they are going?

Hope your dog's OK. Crackers is doing fine and not picking at her stitches yet, so I haven't had to put the horrid collar on.

Looking forward to hearing from the others soon. WELL DONE AGAIN.
  • Thanks Liz, you'd be fine. The bogs were bad, but it has been raining for the last three weeks. It's obviously a lot easier if you know the way or have a GPS, there's quite a few places you can go wrong. Having said that, there seemed to there always be someone to spot in the distance. Whether they're in the race or not is another matter! You should definately do it next year.

My dogs ok thanks. He's still in the vets on kennel rest 'cos he had major spinal surgery. Hopefully I'll be picking him up tomorrow and I think he have one of those daft collars on as well. He'll look a right one. I'll be pleased to get him home, you know what it's like, it's not the same without them.

Btw, you need to ask Tim for a report on the bogs. He was quite vocal about them, not in a complimentary way!
  • wey hey

I really enjoyed that in a strange sort of way

definatly m sort of racer and Liz you have to do it next year as I have to as well.

I wasnt sure how I was going to go, my original estimation months ago was for 7.30-8 hours but with inuries and not being able to put ling distance training in I had no idea what I was going to do.

I started off well, and detoured a little at the beginning going over the Cringle Moor and clay bank. Evryone else was skirting round thr base but I was here to enjoy the courtryside so I went, which probably cost me about 20 minutes. Teh stopped to try and get some photos (10 mintues) of the Wain Stones (and resisted the urge for a quick scramble when I remebered I was supposed to be in a race)

Kept my pacing well and NMP, Tim and Loz caught me up at about 22 miles. NMP was really strong at this point and pulled us all through to the checkpoint.

GPS saves the day!

Tim was moaning about the bogs which didnt look remotely like a running track and everyone was was in high spirits.

At about 23-24 miles I started to feel a twinge in my knee (ITB) which I tried to shrug off.

We met up with Hippo, and Tim decidied to walk with her for a bit. I slowed to ease my knee for a bit and take some ibrprofen.

Loz and NMP still feeling strong continued on,.

After about 45 minutes of walking and staggering along the heath my knee was only getting worse and decided to pull out at 29 miles.

I didnt have another 10 or so without risking a serious injury I I need to do the same thing again next weeked at the 50 mile challenge.

However If I hadnt diverted at the begining or damaged my knee I feel I would have finished strongly

Had a great day and was good meeting everyone.

The only problem is I gotta go back next year!
  • Glad to see all pets are doing fine!
  • JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!

Enjoyed every minute of this unique event. The prerace worries about the weather were unfounded and we had a great day in every respect. Discovered hidden talent for bog running hence change of identity!

Loz: couldnt have done it without you, you were great company - so strong at the end.
    Our support team had some fun too by all accounts.

Bryan: great organisation, please thank all the marshalls for their hard work.
    Bottle of Gin - Nice touch, just hit the spot

Tim: Good to meet you and hear the tales of all your Ultra's - this was just a sprint for you! Some nice pacing along the railway track bought us some time later on.

Caspar: Shame about the ITB injury, you know you'll have to come back to this one -still you seemed to have had a good time, taking many photos along the way

Sluggie: Nice to meet you and Mr Sluggie albeit late in the day. Well done for getting inside the time.

Hippo: Sorry not to meet you. Didn' t realise till too late that the lone figure wandering alone on the moors was a hippo by which time there was no turning back - but we did all drink gin in your honour at Raven Hall

To all those who didn't make it, pencil this one in to you diaries for next year you'll love it!

• What an amzing day! Geat scenery, lucky with the weather and lots of nice people to talk to. Really enjoyed the race, despite the bogs. Very happy to make the cut-off with a bit of time to spare (11.27) and reckon I ran about a third (easy bits only).

Delighted to meet everyone in person (except Caspar - sorry about your knee but it sounds like you had a good time anyway). Enjoyed going to the pub on Friday night with Hippo - we met Loz too but didn't realise it til later!

Bryan - I have emailed you as well, but just want to say thanks to you and your fellow marshalls for everything and especially for the delicious bacon sandwich.

Spoke to Hippo last night on the phone - sounds like she had quite an 'adventure race' but as she's promised to post a race report I'll let her give you all the details.

Grateful to Hippo of course for starting the thread and getting me into this madhouse in the first place, and to Tim and everyone else who provided much-needed advice.

Hippo and I started out with about a dozen others at 4am and had the weird experience (for us) of leading the race for while. Then once I started running I was well and truly on my own at the front for a bit which was even more disconcerting!

After I got passed by a couple of 4.15 starters at least there was someone to follow - nice woman called Hilary from Bishop Aukland who showed the way around the bottom of Cringle and provided friendly chat until she sped away from me. Later on I met her husband Mark who also provided good company and pacing and a helping hand over the Jugger Beck.

Quite a learning experience for me as a beginner - one thing I would not bother to do again was to change my socks and shoes after the bogs were supposedly over (got just five blissful minutes of comfy feet, then back to squelching).

Special thanks to Mr Sluggie for crewing me at various checkpoints and replenishing sandwich supplies, not to mention listening to me banging on about the event for weeks before and no doubt for weeks afterwards. Actually his support duties have not finished yet as today my legs are so sore that stairs are a major expedition!

Liz and Loz - glad the cat and dog are OK. Our cat decided the only place he could possibly sleep last night was on top of my sore legs...
  • LFVLFV ✭✭✭
    But where is Hippo?