Scottish Runners

Comments

• I'm a new Scotish runner in Dundee, looking forward to running in the sidlaws once I get fit enough for it!

Daniel
  • Dougal, I have thought about going along this year to help with the motivation. Do I just turn up?

I am also thinking of doing the Kinloss to Lossie half marathon on 16 Feb, anyone else done this one?
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

I'm another Scot from the land of the sunny (Dun)dee. Any just to let you know the online entry for this years BUPA Great Caledonian Run 2003 (10K) is now up and running at www.greatrun.org their's a limit to 2000 places!! Just thought I'd give you the heads up since events are hard to come by up in these parts.

-Stu.
  • Mat. Hi there. U a member of any running club in Glasgow? I went back to Clydesdale Harriers last night. First time in months. Thought I was getting fitter but running with others made me realise just how much work I still have to do. Still it was good to run with some other people even if they were ahead of me.

Robert

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've never been to Scotland, but would love to do so this or next year.

Robert D-why do you want RW to give you your own forum? Isn't it good to have a mixture of nationalities to chat with, after all we all run!

• Hi Hilly. I agree it is great to be in touch with such a range of runners but there is so little info about running in Scotland that it would be really helpfull to have a dedicated forum. Even if that does happen will not stop me from accessing other forums.

Robert
  • robert,

not a member of a club at present but looking to join one asap.

does anyone know running clubs that are near bishopbriggs or surrounding areas.

matt
  • Sarcy, yes just turn up at the track at 7, a map is on the club web site.
  • MM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stu92 for the tip about the Great Caledonian Run. My running partner and I have now applied and are really looking forward to it - weather should be favourable then too!

Has anyone done the Grangemouth Round the Houses before??
  • Are there many Scottish hill races? I would like to have something to train for but as a beginner it would have to be a relativily short distance (10k?).

Danielb
  • DanielB,

Yes, there is a fairly large calendar of events and besides the listing on the SAF website the Scottish Hill Runners Association produce a comprehensive calendar that lists Highland Games races, bike/run races, etc. It's usually out in February and gets sent to you if you're a member, alternatively it can sometimes be found in Tiso's.

Hill Races are graded short, medium and long according to the winning time and A, B, or C according to steepness so races may be listed AS, BM, CS, etc. I'd stick with the short races at first to get a taster: 10km could be a pretty tough race and distance is not as relevant as time. A midweek evening race would be a good place to start

Plus points for hill racing are that it is much easier on the joints: no hard tarmac to contend with. I can't think of any downsides!
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    DanielB,

The Scottish Hill Runners also have a web page at...

http://www.hillrunning.co.uk/

-Stu.
  • I remember thinking I can't do Great Cal this year for some reason. Can someone tell me the date.
  • Sarcy, the hardest part of any run I find, is getting the gear/trainers on and getting out the front door.
    Motivation tip: summon up an image in the minds eye of a naked Dawn French scoffing herself with Cadburys Choclate Oranges, that will soon have you looking out the trainers, also if you can retain that image whilst out on the run you may find yourself doing a few miles more than originally intended. Works for me!
    Any other motivation tips greatly accepted.
  • SG,

Caledonian Run is a bit later this year - 10 May
  • When's the Pitmedden Forest Race?
  • Hi guys, I'm Scottish, born and bread Glaswegian (or a Glesga boy). I run for Springburn Harriers. There are many different races ranging from 5 K's to Ultra runs. But only a tiny number are advertised on this site.
  • Agree with you there Joe C but we are hoping that with more input from people like yourself and other club runners that people living in scotland can become more enlightened about the race scene and the quality of the races, because outside of this forum there is no public platform for scots runners to have a good rant or share an anecdote, or exchange information or tips.
  • Hi again Matt. Is Hardgate(Clydebank) too far away for you as far as running clubs go?

Robert
  • hi robert,

i am doing the balloch to cyldebank 1/2 marathon in march as well as the 4 polaroid 10k races down that neck of the woods. several of my friend run around that area and we all run them for a bit of good natured rivalry.

but it,s just that bit to far away for a regular running club. thanks anyway MATT.
  • Gillian - thanks. I knew I couldn't do it for some reason. I go on holiday that day.
    Steve. Pitmeddon is in December. You've just missed it. Its my local training ground.
  • Speedy.G thanks... i'll just have to be quicker in reading teh threads.. saw somewhere that it was on the 14th (or something) but didn't give the month!!!

As for races, why do they all seem to be generally on the west coast and I live on the east?!?! doesnae seem so many on this side... shall we set up another forum for the east-side scottish runners?!!
  • Steve, whereabouts do you live? I live in the east of scotland and don't really find theres a shortage of races. I find quite often theres almost too many to choose from! I can post info on up and coming races on this thread or on the events thread or email them to you if thats any help. Do you belong to a club?
  • Can anyone tell me more about the 4 Polaroid 10k races. Place, Date etc...
    cheers
  • Hi Hill Runner

Live in Dundee, but other than the Dundee 10, I've had to travel to take part in races.. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Aberdeen... but some a bit nearer to home including Forfar, Arbroath, etc.. It's just at this time of year, there doesnae appear to be that many around this neck of the woods... unless you know otherwise?? I do check out the SAF and RW websites for up and coming races...
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Stevieboy there are no races on the east coast, especially at this time of year. If they do exist they are poorly advertised. The next race in this neck of the woods is the Cupar 5 which isn't until March!

-Stu.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I thnk the organisers of races tend to plan them for spring/summer so that there is a reasonable chance they won't be snowed off. Most races are from March to October, with very few road races in the winter. There are a few hill/XC races, but as you say, they aren't well advertised.

The lists in RW are made up from races that have been notified by the organisers. I think the same goes for the lists on the SAF website. Maybe all the races attract enough runners and therefore don't need to advertise, but it seems a shame that so many of us seem to have trouble finding enough races within travelling distance when there probably are lots.

Maybe we should organise a mailshot to all clubs asking them for their race calendar, and compile a directory ourselves.
  • Here are some races during jan and feb on the east of scotland. The ones marked (c) are ones for club members only.

Jan 1st every year - 3.9 mile road race
    3/1 - Fife AC club champs xc but all welcome.
    11/1 - East districts xc Edinburgh (c)
    tbc - Pitmedden forest nightmare race contact fife ac

1/2 East Scotland xc league Alloa (c)
    2/2 Haddo House xc Aberdeen
    8/3 Devils burdens relay (c)
    9/2 Houe of Dun xc Montrose
    tbc- nightmare race Ladybank woods fife.contact fife ac for details
    15/2 Carnethy 5 hill race Peniciuk (you need to enter asap)
    15/2 Knigs buildings 5 mile road race Edinburgh
    16/2 Kinloss - Lossiemouth 1/2 marathon
    16/2 Round the houses 10k RR Grangemouth
    22/2 National xc Aberdeen (c)
  • Thanks for that hill runner... is there anybody from fife ac here that can answer some of these fife races... and what are nightmare races anyway - sounds like a stroll in the park?!?!!
  • Sorry that should read House of Dun and Kings buildings Edinburgh.

If you are interested in joining a club Fife ac are a friendly local club as are the Dundee road runners. Dundee Hawkhill Harriers tend to be a bit elitist.

I would recommend fife ac but i am biased!