Marathon Places Available

Just to let you all know there are still marathon places available with the charity I work for. If you're interested in running for CLIC - Cancer & Leukaemia in Childhood, (it's the charity that Lloyd Scott, Mr Diving Suit Marathon Man ran / walked for last year), then please call my colleague Melissa Stead on 0117 3112634, she'll be only to pleased to help you!

Comments

• how much do you have to raise ???
  • Hello formunties:

Have just called the above charity:And they are asking you to raise an amount of
    £1,250.And when they send your golden bond place through you also have to pledge
    another £100 pounds up front to enter.
    Don,t mind helping out any charity:But that is a bit much.I really think these charities
    have got a cheek on them stating the amount you have to raise.After all your the one thats
    doing all the training.
    I have tried now three times for a place:And I have been rejected:One with flm:Then
    one with anthony nolan trust:One with scottish huntington,s disease.I think I shall
    just give it a miss this year.As I think someone/something is trying to tell me I am
    not meant to do it.Although have started my training schedule.Very depressing!!

Anyway good luck to all who are in it.

Tearful daisybop!!!
  • I ran with VICTA (who help visually impaired children) in 2001 and they only wanted £500 then, with no deposit. They have an ad in the FLM rejection mag and there has also been a previous thread about them on this forum.
  • daisypop. Your training doesn't have to go to waste, there are loads of other marathons. Organisers who WANT you and dont expect slavish gratitude just because they've drawn your name out of a hat

If the FLM dont want you, tell 'em to stick it. Its the only language they understand.

Come and do Blackpool with me and benz!. Do you think you'll get decent fish and chimps at FLM?? Well I'm here to tell you you wont. It'll be all vege-burgers and alfalfa.

I mean, where's the fun in that??
  • Cant believe I wrote fish and chimps (self-obsessed or what??)

Its chips of course though I wouldnt put it above southerners in the FLM to eat chimps. Oh no.
  • Dont bother with GRIM daisypops. Its only 8 miles and if you've trained for a proper race now is no time to be lowering your standards.
  • You can have me on a plate any day Pix.

;-)
  • Daisybop - I think you're being a little harsh on the charities. They pay £300 for each GB place, and with people dropping out at the last minute, and people who SAY they'll raise x amount, then don't, they have to cover themselves.

At the end of the day, no one is forced to take a GB place. The places are for people who think they can raise a minimum amount, in return for something that is quite highly prized, it seems. To be quite honest, it's not that difficult to raise a reasonable amount for charity if you put your mind to it. If you don't have the time for instance, then obviously a GB place may not be for you. But a lot of people -- many thousands -- do manage to do it, and with a good attitude.

And the reason I'm suddenly so interested in this? I ran the Chicago Marathon for the UK Brain Tumour Society, and have just been asked by them if I know of anyone who is willing to take up a gold bond place for FLM 2003. I think they have 2 available. Yes, there will be a minimum amount required of £1000. If anyone is interested, they can mail the UKBTS organiser at this address .

Thanks, and good luck.

Andy
  • Hello One & All !!

I do realise that the charities do need to try and raise as much as possible! Fair enough:I was
    also told if you did,nt raise the specified amount then it would need to come out your own pocket!
    And the source this came from has already done a few marathons including flm.Maybe they
    all don,t do it.

Anyway to the rest of the replies thanks guys:I was feeling really down yesteraday:But after
    coming in this morning to work:And reading all your comments,has really cheered me up:
    Cheers again.Shall maybe go for another biggy.Somebody who wants me.

Bye for now
    Daisybop (Is now bopping around,and singing).