Scottish Runners

Comments

• What's the Cupar 5 (that Stu mentioned) like? It did actually catch my eye last night as I'm desperate to go in for an (organised) run... and that seems to be the first on my agenda.
  • Cupar 5 is an out and back course on a very quiet and pretty much traffic free route. Theres usually a good tea laid on afterwards. Its a fairly flat course, some small hills but nothing to worry about.

The nightmare races are all about 4 or 5 miles long and are run in the dark with a headtorch. There are 2 forest trail races, one hill race, 1 beach race and 1 cross country race in the series. The courses are usually marked with tape or flour (good in theory except for last year when there was snow on the ground....!). There isnt an entry fee but there are no prizes. Usually we end up in the pub afterwards.

• PS im a member of Fife AC as if you haven't guessed!!
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    hill runner, thanks for the list.

StevieBoy,
    I havent done the cupar 5 but I was thinking about doing it this year (1st March). I contacted the organiser a couple of weeks ago for info in which they said..

"Cupar 5. Five-mile road race on an out and back course, which has been accurately measured. Again, just turn up on the day at the YMCA hall in Cupar Main Street, but give yourself time to reach the start which is about a mile away. All races are suitable for mixed abilities, doesn't matter how good or bad you perceive yourself to be."

-Stu.

• I agree with Nessie that organisers tend to be reluctant to have races in the winter in Scotland because they might have to cancel due to ice and snow. Went out for a steady run today and roads and paths not too bad but I would be reluctant to "race" or do speed work on surfaces which may be slippery.

Thanks for info on races in Scotland and hope to meet some of you fellow Scottish forumites in Lossiemouth in Feb or Inverness in March.
  • Thanks for the info guys.. the missus is okay as there is the smokies 10 the day after the cupar 5 so unless i put on a wig and dress(!) accordingly, i'll have to consider the cupar 5....
  • Those nightmare races sound like fun, running with head torches etc. How far are they?

DanielB
  • Matthew Child, polaroid are my local races they are held usually on a thursday evening throughout may and june, always a good turn out(700+) and are well organised.
    They are held in Helensburgh(thurs), Clydebank(thurs), Dumbarton(thurs) and Alexandria(Sun morn). I don't know exact dates yet.
    For anybody not aware you can get a full fixture list of road races, xc races,hill races and contact phone numbers by sending a stamped addressed envolope to: Scottish Athletics
    Caledonia House
    South Gyle
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9DQ

Also to gain a summer list do the same come March/April

• Have done the Cupar 5 on a few occassions. Until last year I lived at a cottage just close to the turining point so it was my local training ground for many years. Really miss the routes around there now.
    Hill runner - have met up with you a few times as the Mr and I used to be with Fife AC as well.
  • If you fancy a longer race in March, my club, Lasswade AC, are staging their annual 10 Mile Road Race in Midlothian on 9th March this year and all runners are welcome, information and entry forms can be downloaded from www.lasswade-athletics-club.fsnet.co.uk/fixtures.htm (click on LAC 10mile RR) or e-mail me.

All races requiring a permit from Scottish Athletics are listed on their website, http://www.scottishathletics.org.uk/events.php although I’m not sure about all of the hill races – I think that the hill runners told SA to get stuffed and decided to hold races on their own without SA permits, maybe Hill Runner knows a bit more about this.

Membership of Scottish Athletics is currently about £12 per year which amongst other things entitles members to fixture lists and a £2 discount at all SA permitted events (SA charge the club staging the race £2 for every unaffiliated entrant and this always has to be passed on to the runners).

Check out the following results sites to get an idea of the size of field, fastest/slowest times etc. for previous events: www.runningresults.freeserve.co.uk and www.99condie.freeserve.co.uk

Hill Runner,
    I have heard rumours that the National XC is to be held at Linwood near Paisley though don’t know if this has been confirmed yet
  • Wee Col
    Gosh I did the Lsswade 10 years and years ago. I was last and a marshall came back and ran the last mile with me as did 3 of my club mates. Believe me it was great.
    Mr SG looking at doing it this year but not yet decided.
  • Hi everyone, is anyone aware of any longer races in Scotland (say 20 miles) in February or early March which could be used as a training run for London?

The nearest I have been able to find is Morecambe on 16th March.

• Hi All
    Just want to say that today was the type of day made for runners. Bright, dry and cold. Had an excellent 12mile run. Felt great.
    Robert
  • Well done RD, I done 5 miles and felt like s...e, still it in only get better.
  • Just back from East District XC champs - V hard course with brilliant winter conditions - well done to all who took part (only managed to stay for U13- U15&17 as frostbite began to kick in) lots of talent out there. Hope other districts dun good!!!
  • Wee Col

Hope you kept your long-johns on.

I enjoyed that wee 3 miler we did this morning.

I've updated our little website with some latest news and events we're getting involved in from our posse.

Everyone else is welcome to take a look at it also at http://clix.to/pieonears
  • Have any of us run under 40 mins for the 10K? If so, how long were you running for before you achieved it? What was your progression over time? I've been running reasonably seriously for 18 months or so, and i'm still a couple of minutes out. Hopefully this summer at one of the polaroid races (or anywhere really) i can crack it.
  • I am also chasing that elusive 39.9999 mins.
  • Whats your PB at the moment Robert?
    What training do you do?
    I usually run 4 times a week, 1 speed session, 1 long run (10-12 miles) and 2 6 milers, about 25-30 miles a week all in.
    I can't really do much more as the Missus starts to complain.
  • It took me about 4 years to break the 40, though I wasn't training too seriously; if I rememeber right (it was a while ago!) I did 51mins one year, 44 the next, 41 after that (I was only doing one race a year back then) and I think I hit 38 the following year, all on the same course, and went on to get a PB of 36:24. The top sort of mileage I was doing was 20-30 per week, but I generally ran them fairly hard, then I lost form (less running, more beer)for a few years before getting the magic 39:59 last year again. Having upped the training and spent the last 2 months at 40-50 mpw, and lost half a stone of excess baggage I easily cruised a 6 mile training run yesterday in 39 minutes. No beer, no crisps and train your nads off - easy really!
  • 36.24, respect is due. I'd struggle to do a single mile at that pace.
    Sounds like there is nothing special to it, just hard work and stay off the pies.
    What are your PB's at other distances?
  • It was a downhill finish;)My 39:59 last year was on a very twisty course which I'm sure must have cost about a minute or so - the moral here is pick the right race! What sort of speed work are you doing? About a month or so beforehand I was doing five 1 mile reps on the track at 6 minute miling; the longer reps (800m - 1 mile) are more relevant to 10k training than blasting round 200-400m imo. My other PB's - I once did a 28 minute 5 miler but I've never got close to that ever again! 1:29 for the half marathon and 3:49 for the full, which is under serious attack at the moment hence the mileage! You can probably guess I'm happier at shorter stuff.
  • So are you in training for a marathon? Which one? I've never run one but want to this year, i was thinking of the Blackpool one in June as we have family down that way and could make a long weekend of it. Have to up the mileage a bit though on the long run.
    As for speedwork, well last couple of weeks i've done 5x1kms at 3.55 mins pace (about 6.20 min miles), once a week.
    Your 28 minute 5 miler is impressive, you must have come near the front. One of those annoying people who have a pint of beer in their hands and tracksuits on when i stumble over the line.
  • I'll be doing Lochaber - and I won't be drawn on any wild time predictions. I'd like to be very annoying with lots of beer though;)
  • Hi Matthew. Trying to run min 5 times week. Building up milage for Paris Marathon in April. Been hard work because I was out of running for a year due to injuries. Just started back in October. Managed 43 miles last week. Also started back at club last week to focus on speed work.
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Can I join as a Highland lass now living in Northern Ireland and occasionally coming home for holidays??

By the way, you think there is a lack of info on races in Scotland in Runners World? Try looking for ANYTHING in Northern Ireland. :(
  • Fiona
    I don't think the qualification for posting in this forum means you have to live in Scotland. Just have an interest in the Scottish running scene.
    Sorry about the lack of races in N. Ireland, although you have the Belfast marathon in May. Or why not book one of those £5 easyjet flights to Edinburgh or Luton, find a race and make a weekend of it.
  • Robert and Dougal

Your both 40+ miles a week men, i hover around 25-30. An extra run (5 per week), would pull me up close, mustn't up the mileage drastically though as i always get injured. I was thinking of doing the round the houses 10K, in mid Feb, just to see how i'm doing. I've already got a place at Inverness for the half-marathon.
    Looking for sub 1.35/1.40 there.

• I've got to say I'm identical to Matthew in terms of mileage. Everytime I up a long run much past 11 miles or a weeks mileage to 35 or so, I seem to get injured. My body can handle 25-30 miles a week and that seems to be it. I may try for the Loch Ness Marathon in September as a "get you round" run just to prove to myself I can survive a marathon even if it's only a once in a lifetime thing.

I'm going to do a few 1/2 Marathons this year (Inverness is probably too soon for my knee to recover) as well as aim to beat my 10K best (45.39). My main focus will to avoid injuring myself and just keep plodding along.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Ping Pong Boy - remember to add a couple of hills into your training for Loch Ness.

Depending on where you are, the Mid Argyll half the first weekend in May is very flat and scenic. I'll post details if you are interested.