Saturday 11th Jan

Me First ?
The last of our 2 inches has gone
What : frantic house cleaning
and hopefully an hour steady run
Why : wine tasting party tonight and few staying over so best the house isn't a tip (not easy with two sprogs)
Last hard : Thursday
Last Rest : Tuesday

Enjoy your racing / weekend running

Comments

• Me second?!!!

What: 13.1 miles in 2hr 10mins
    Why: had to do long run today rather than tomorrow as Got to pick up bro from airport tomorrow.
    Last hard: yesterday speed intervals
    Last rest : Thursday

I know I don't often post on here but I am absolutly over the moon, Thats 20mins off my last 13.1 miles time and there were hills. I'm well on my way to my sub 2hr.
  • Yup, party night last night and a steady run in fresh, crisp clear air has cleared the head. Ice still about though, especially on the back roads !

What :- 8 miles steady
    Why :- Nice morning
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Well done Josie, really fantastic !! 20 mins off with hills - brilliant.

• Good effort, JJ, especially the day after a hard sesh.

What: Rest up.
    Why: Racing tomorrow.
    Hard: Thursday 5 mile flat out.
    Rest: Wednesday.

Had a cracking gentle 30 mins last night at HM pace. Loved every second (once I'd got warm!). So important to forget 'training' and run for fun once in a while!

Does that make me a "jogger"?
  • Bravo Josie!

What: 6 Miles. (1hr, 14min, but I don't mind that: I got out and did it). First post cold.

Absolutely gorgeous in the frost.

Legs still very numb, left foot pretty much not functioning, so there's lots to get back. Still, it's a start.
  • Well done on your pb Josie. A 2hr10 run and posting befoe 10-30. That in itself is worthy of praise.

As for me, by comparison a bit more leisurely.

what : easy 4m
    why : schedule says so and don't want too hard a session before tomorrow's club cross country.
    last hard : thursday
    last rest : tuesday

New HRM arrived in post today (Polar A3) so it'll be making it's first journey with me. Hopefully i can use it to help me run slow enough. May post update later.....
  • Top banana Josie.....

what 4m easy
    why cos schedual said so
    last hard-fri, swum for first time in years
    last rest-mon.

sunny but cold morning, still some ice on road.
    Was meant to be on a easy day, but after yesterdays 80lengths of the pool, decided to test myself, and eneded up doing it 26mins, with no effort at all........
  • I wouldn't mind taking 20 mins off my pb for the 1/2. Good stuff.

What: 40mins easy with 2 sets of 5x100m strides.

Why: XC race tomorrow.
    Last Hard: Thursday.
    Last rest: Wednesday.

Have a good one!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon people!

Well run Josie, sub 2hrs just round the corner!

Good luck all racers this weekend including me tomorrow. My calves are feeling a bit stiff so hoping today's rest will be enough to ease them.

So nothing for today, just total rest, well apart from birthday present shopping.
  • great stuff JJ

what: don't know definitely, but probably nothing
    why: tapering for Helsby; last long run tomorrow

last hard(ish) day: Fri
    last rest day: Thu
    last long day: Sun
  • well done, JJ - very impressive

what: 8 miles fartlek in 52:30, last mile @ target 6:15-6:11 marathon pace

why: needed a gentle speed session as legs starting to feel a bit weary after long time without rest and another 20+ miler scheduled for tomorrow

good luck to all racers this weekend, looking forward to your reports.
  • Well done Josie!

Short and sweet run today.

What: 2hr gym session with 3km speed work session 200m @ 18kph x 5 with recovery in between.

Why: Sat is hard workout day in gym and short run due to planned 18 miler tomorrow

Last Hard: Today for effort on weights but running is wednesday.

Last Rest: Tuesday

Have a good weekend peeps.
  • great stuff JJ - which half are you aiming for? And then the road to Dublin . .

what & why: 8½/9 ish from Bristol Airport to home (took car there for friends to drive home after ski hol) - took 65 mins - very cold - was in shade most of the way . .

last hard - 5k race Monday evening
    last rest - Wed, Thur, Fri, trying to rest a sore back and thigh

enjoy your races . .
  • what & why: 8.5 miles along Thames towpath

last hard - Friday intervals (8*4min hard, 2min recovery, plus warm up and down)

last rest - thursday

Tomorrow is long run; may try to do 20miles if my legs are OK!!
  • Hi all,

what : easy run, 34 min, ~ 4.8K
    Last hard: thursday

What a lovely sunny day!
  • Evening!!
    What-bugger all
    why-cos i've upped my mileage a bit quick and need a rest!!
    last hard- speed session on thursday
    next-long run tomorrow
  • Well done JJ

Hi everybody,

What: am 8M steady in the best sunshine I've seen in a long time!
    What: pm 8M hard pushed it up to around marathon pace. Felt comfortable, my achilles has been niggleing for a couple of days but seams fine now [I think it was a bruise].
    Why: On the winter of destruction. either me or my PB's!!!!

Last hard: Thurs
    Last rest: Fri due to achillies

Now! food & red wine.
  • Congrat's JJ - that's a lot to knock off! Sub 2 soon :)

What: XC race. It was horrible - I wasn't feeling v. well, and about half way through I was feeling dreadful. Still, I pushed on to the end. Didn't like being overtaken by a whole pile of people in the last third, though. Sniffle...
    Why: Running for the club.

Last hard: XC race last Wednesday

Off to lie down. Not feeling brilliant still.
  • Evening all! Well done JJ - I'm impressed, I've never knocked 10 mins off a PB before, that's fantastic!

What - nothing
    Why - long run tomorrow, plus been helping Mr FANY get ready for business trip and having full on hair colour and cut etc - pampering day!
    Last hard - yesterday
    Last rest - Thursday

• sorry top hear you're not too well piglet - put the troters up and have a rest.

JJ nice going - planning to do a 13.1 tomorrow myself - not going to be 2.10, but 2.20 would be great.

5 mile at 10k pace today wore shorts - silly boy - calf muscles froze up in last 500m and i had to limp/walk back.

not bad time overall - quite happy - had fun using the gym ball yesterday - much harder than it looks
  • Josie, that's a brilliant improvement, well done. You'd easily do sub2hr under race conditions I'm sure.
    Dustin, relieved to see not all forumites are on the wagon.
    Achilles, if you don't take a rest day soon I'll send Uncle Ron around.

What: Reebok Mid-Lancs xcountry,
    Why: was lucky to bag one of the club flm places and so felt obliged to turn up to make up the team!

Thanks for all your encouragement by the way, always makes a difference. I'm doing a quick report on here as the Events thread seems to have gone mad of late.
    This took place at Lancaster University which is where I spent my student years, though in those days I only knew the playing fields as a muddy area a long way from the bar. I reckon Xcountry racing is a bit like Platform 9 3/4: you only notice it if you know it's supposed to be there, and a lot of people are standing around wearing slightly strange clothing.

Found the ground surprisingly hard to run on, rutted frozen grass intersected with clumps of woods divided by mud trenches. Hadn't a clue whether this was a typical course or not, but it was undulating with one large and 2 smaller hills, twice as it was a 2 lap course, though talking to others it was judged to be fairly hard.
    Setting off was disoncerting to say the least since we started with the junior boys who needless to say shot off ahead effortlessly, leaving me muttering to myself 'bet you couldn't run a marathon'. The field quickly settled into a line of runners most of whom seemed to stay in the same relative position to each other. The initial relief at getting moving after standing around in near-freezing temperatures was quickly replaced by the too-familiar taste of blood at the back of my throat. It was all starting to make sense now - this is why we slaved away doing hill reps and 3 min reps at the club every Mon night, it wasn't just an exercise in sadism by the coach.
    I felt as though I was very near the back of the field, and that there was little I could do about it. All my usual race pacing tactics were useless since the terrain was so different and you never got into a comfortable pace at all, just tottered along the icy ridges of muddy grass like a teenager on her first stilettos. Eventually got the idea that you were meant to stop anyone overtaking you, and instead pick off the runners near in front. So got overtaken by 2 runners and went past a different two after a gargantuan effort uphill, leaving me with a net gain of zero.
    Eventually my prayers were heard and I found myself heading towards the finish, disappointed to see 31 mins on my watch over a 3 mile course, but subsequently found out it was 6000 mtrs which was marginally better. The front runners were coming in around 24 mins - how do they do that?? Came 33/59 plus we apparently got team points but fathoming out the league team scoring system is about as easy as following a cricket match in my eyes.
    There was the unexpected bonus of getting the chance to watch other runners run which of course you normally miss when you're racing. Watching the senior men thunder around 3 laps was pretty awesome, and with quite decent motive, honest.
    Take my hat off to those of you who do this regularly - my idea of xcountry running is ambling over the fells whilst talking to my friends, but you've got to try everything once, haven't you?
    Hope you all had good runs today and good luck on your long runs tomorrow - Mike, how far will your last long run be?
  • PS Initially felt surprisingly energetic having got my breath back, but after a bath and a cup of tea am now well shattered and about to open the last bottle of Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet.
  • Sorry missed your post piglet, very well done for taking part, sounds dead hard which after today I can totally empathise with! have a good rest and hope you feel better soon.
  • What: Hampshire League XC Race
    Why: Club representation, competition, XC practice for the Todays Runner national finals, etc
    Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: Monday

Placed 84th today! Thats my best finish in this league ever! Bear in mind its a damned high quality league, & I'll never do well in real terms in it, but mytarget for the start of my 1st XC season in this league was a top 100 finish, and now Ive done it. Yippee! Hopefully this'll bode well for my Todays Runner league/10k performances!

Long run tomoz, so Id better get some lazin' in...
  • PS. 3 laps today, first in 12:20, second in 10:40, last in 12:50. 9k total, killed off most of my 'targets' in my 2nd lap, so eased back on the last...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Laura, WP and KK.

Great placing KK!

WP-hope you feel better soon!

Great report Laura. Sounds a typical tough kind of x-country course. Don't you just love this kind of running!
  • Thanks for the incouragement :-)

I hope to break the 2hr at the New Forest Half When ever that is.
  • Laura - that was the XC I did too!!!! As I was driving home it occurred to me that you might have been there. What an absolute nightmare it was - your description is perfect :-) I'm really sorry we didn't meet up! Still, hopefully we will next Sunday @ Helsby :-)

Hilly - thank you for good wishes :-)

KK - great run! Congrat's :-)

Laura... think I'll go and read your report again!
  • What a day , well done JJ, Wee Piglet, Laura L & KK! All your hard work paid off.
    Thanks Laua L to post your report here. WP hope you feel better soon. well done again!
  • Great running everyone and sorry little piggy that you're not feeling so good - now it's my turn to comfort you!

What: 10km very easy slow run on snowy trails in the woods, temp still -6 but bright sunshine. Beautiful day.

Last rest: Friday
    Long run: planned for tomorrow.