1/2 stone that just won't shift!

Hi all,

I completed my first half marathon last year, six months after starting running and in doing so shifted 2.5 stones. I got round the Bristol Half in 2hrs 07mins and was over the moon. I'd got my weight down to 14stone 2lbs. For me that is good!
I had an injury over Xmas and the weight jumped to 14stone 12lbs. I've been back running for over a month and the mileage is back to about 5-6 miles, four times a week, longer run on a Sunday (7-9 miles) BUT, the weight won't shift and it's getting me down! I watch what I eat and cross train on non-running days. Any ideas folks?

Comments

• HI

try weightlossresources.co.uk

buy a set of electric food scales and measure your portions. Its working for my husband

fergal k
  • The most effective things I've found are: giving up drinking (not fun but it helps weight loss like you wouldn't believe), making sure you drink lots of water, writing down what you eat (it's easy to think you're 'watching' it but so much slips by unnoticed), checking whether you are losing inches rather than pounds (you could be firming up even if there's still some weight to go - especially if you are weight training) and making your runs harder, eg either faster or hillier courses. Hope this helps! I'm struggling after a race, then holiday, then bad cold, to get back into it - so you're not alone!
  • I agree drink 2-3 litres of water a day weigh everything and write it all down.Also watch your carbs as it turns too fat for example i am only allowed one tatties 4oz or 2 oz rice and the same if it is pasta and watch yout bread intake.

hope this helps

poppy
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • And if you want a bit of support, just keep posting here! I'll be struggling through the same process!
  • Also - if you divide your food up into 6 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones, that helps.

That last few pounds is a b@$$t@rd. It has been there the longest and it has been closest to your bones, so it's really unwilling to shift.

• Hi Peter

I was unwell for three months after the Great North Run last year and the weight piled on. I started running again just after Christmas but still the weight wouldn't shift. I joined Slimming World 2 weeks ago and have lost 5lb so far. The plans are really easy to keep to (honestly).
  • try weights/ strength training program
  • I've just shifted almost two stone with Slimming World. I have found it a very sensible (and quite easy!) way to lose weight. I've just joined this site, and am beginning to run again after a break of about 20 years. Having shifted the weight with Slimming World has given me the impetus to don the running shoes again!

Good luck!

Heather
  • I have the same problem losing the last stone I want to shift! I run four times a week but nothing shifts the last tyre. I can run easily for 30 to 40 minutes but it won't go - perhaps I need a challenge such as a half marathon?
  • Slimming world is a great plan for runners as you need to make sure you restock you muscles after a run and you can have potatoes and pasta and rice in as greater quantities as you like. i've lost nearly 4stone with them so far, it's the only way really. i dont feel like training if i dont feel like i'm eating enough.
    rachel
  • Don't just rely on the running, I cycle for an hour on the days I don't run and the weight fell off, after sitting there for ages with just running.
  • Help!!! I've been running for years, but on a milage of 3 miles three or four times per week. I was a smoker and have recently given up, but aimed to compensate by increasing the intensity of training - running 8/9 miles with a running club three or four times per week now and cycling a few times per week to total 40miles. I'm piling on the pounds and wouldn't say my eating has increased that much - little portions four times per day. Not sure if this is due to a slow in metabolism or to the extra intensity?? I also weight train three times per week and do hill reps with another running group - what am I doing wrong???
  • Hi Cassie!

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think you are putting on muscle. Do your clothes feel tighter. I go by clothes rather than weight.

I started putting on weight and was eating really well. I gave the weights for a few weeks and only did cardio and I am shifting again.

Hope this helps! I bet you look fantastic though with all that training!

Oh! And well done for not smoking! I kicked the habit last year in August x
  • Intensity seems to be the issue - if you want to boost metabolic rate then you need to get intervals - or tempo runs into your training - and maybe try twice a day.
  • Yes Mij!

That is what I have been doing, the interval training! It really does work! I am walking proof! x
  • Oh my god!! Just been reading some other forum articles - I've changed my anti-depressants a month ago from fluoxetine to citalopram and this might be it!
  • Cassie - good luck with your running.
  • Best diet I ever did involved giving up just 2 things...

wheat and sugar

so out goes cakes biscuits jam pastry pasta bread chocolate sweets etc - but its only 2 things you've given up

Have just this second decided to start it again as 20 years later I'm really getting desperate!
  • By the way Fairy Princess, forgot to mention, my clothes are tighter than ever. with all the running and stuff I do it must be the AD change.

I gave up wheat and dairy milk (for soya). Took a bit of getting used to, but the bloated feeling I always used to have disappeared within days. As did about 4 lbs over a few weeks. It is hard with all the carbs you need though to keep your intake as it should be, but defo worth a try if you can discipline yourself.

Try a colonic irrigation session too - they're completely detoxifying!
  • Oh my god!! Just been reading some other forum articles - I've changed my anti-depressants a month ago from fluoxetine to citalopram and this might be it!
  • Hey, I'm taking citalopram - and have put on lots and lots of weight. Is there a link, Cassie?
  • Thank god someone knows how I'm feeling!!! This is my history so lemme know if it applies to you also:

I'm 5ft and have maintained 7st - 7st 3lb for years now. I gave up smoking about 3 months ago and nothing really strange happened with my weight as I upped my weekly mileage and joined a running club at this time as well. I used to run 3-4 miles three times a week and do quite a lot of mileage on my road and mountain bike as well as weights three times a week. Since changing from Fluoxetine to Citalopram a month ago, I've gone up to 7st 10lb!!! My clothes are too tight, my appetite has gone way up and I just don't have the get-up-an-go I had before. I just thought it was a staggered result of giving up smoking, but since reading other articles it seems that this is a known side-effect of the drug.
  • My appetite has gone into overdrive since i started on them. I sleep lots more, feel tired more often, eat lots.... and don't get hangovers. Which is lethal!

• Can't comment on the hangovers - haven't been out in the last month so couldn't say - but might give it a go since you've mentioned it!!!!
  • Cassie,

Have you tried that colonic irrogation? (spelling not too hot - sorry)

I was seriously considering it. I feel the need to have a clear out :-)

FP
  • I have indeedy!!! If you can get over the embrassment (whihc isn't that much once you make it to the clinic) you'll benefit sooo much!! Really makes you feel brighter, refreshed, and completely detoxed.
  • No, although my insides felt lighter (if you know what I mean).
  • Hi All,

I'm really struggling with my weight too -I'm 5'7" and weigh 10st - I weight train about 4 times a week so I do know that it is mainly muscle (muscle being 4 times denserthan fat - girls - do the inches, not the pounds!), but over the winter the guy I weight train with has had me doing heavy weights with my legs in an effort to get some shape in to them, but in my opinion, they are just too chunky now. I went out for a run on Saturday morning and I just felt really heavy as if I was draggin myself round. 'Cos I'm not fat as such I struggle to get people to take me seriously, but my bottom half has a good (or bad!) layer of fat and cellulite!! I too stopped smoking a year ago, very rarely drink alcohol (I'm a sad lightweight) and try to watch my diet. Its not fair - any tips on how to a) slim down my thights - I'm thinking lean and mean here and b) beat the cellulite?? Any help gratefully appreciated!!
  • Hi Emma,

The same thing happened to me when I upped my mileage and bought a road bike. The only thing I can suggest is to scale down the weights to minimum requirements - lighter weights with sets of 5-6 to compensate. Use the additional time for cardio. Try maybe running twice a day, and doing some speed intervals - should get your metabolism going again. As for cellulite, not sure what to do - have you tried dry skin brushing up towards your heart? Use a good moisturiser too on these areas everytime you bathe - works wonders for the skins and helps to smooth these areas. Try Palmers Cocoa Butter - used for pregnancy and skin marks to soften lines.