Recovery runs

Simple question:
What benefit does a recovery run give you that is not achieved by having a rest? Is it something to appease those who cannot go a day without running or is there more?

Comments

• If done at the right pace, they can help flush the lactic acid out of the muslces, easing stiffness and improving recovery. Problem is, most of us (well, me anyway) run them too fast, so rest is better.
  • Thanks for that.

I am going to try one tonight after training hard yesterday, with a heart-rate monitor set at 55-65%. I find it so annoying when the thing starts bleeping that I should be able to keep to it.

I will let you know the effects of the run (if any!)

p.s. Ironing makes my knees go stiff as well but that's another story.
  • As promised, reporting back.

It was an enjoyable run actually - just 30 minutes at around 130 bpm and I do feel better for it. The only times I went over 65% was when crossing the road (pays to get on with it) and (I must be so sad) when running past an all-female bus queue for the local nightclub. Forrest would have been ashamed.
  • reading this has persuaded me it's ok to go for a run instead of a swim...i really couldn't face the swim ;)
    normally what happens is when i've done a long run i go out the next day ...i say i'll do 30 mins at a slow pace, enjoy it, take in the sunshine etc etc....after the initial aches have subsided a bit i up the pace, and end up running even faster over the last 2/3 to get an average pace read of less than 8.....ok...i shouldn't take my speedo on a recovery run, but i tell myself it's for measurement purposes...or anything in fact....i seem to remember my last excuse was that if i took off the foot pod i'd need to redo the lacing....hmmmm....ok....today i'll give it a go...i'm going to try _jogging_, stretching out my arms, pretending i can fly, singing along with my music....and hope no one recognises me....