broken the one hour barrier!!

i guess most of you won't find this that impressive but i am so chuffed with myself i had to share it with all my new forum friends.

I RAN FOR 1HR 1MIN YESTERDAY!!

i managed 5.5miles so thats a double record of distance and time. i never, ever thought i'd be able to run for that long when i started and 5 minutes was hard!!

Comments

• Fantastic Susannah, very well done. Just keep at it and you'll soon be up to 1hr30mins and so it goes on! It's amazing how quickly you progress isn't it. Well done and keep up the good work.
  • Well done! I'm still at the 30 minutes stage and just can't seem to get past it so I'm doing lots of research to find out how to run for longer. Unfortunately I seem to be spending more time reading than running lately which is not helping.
  • Fantastic!!! Running for one hour was one of my aims when I started. It seemed so far away, but, hey, you're there. Keep at it and you won't believe what youre able to do in another month!
  • Well done you.

You deserve your favourite treat - go on spoil yourself. There will be days (or longer) when things don't work out so well for you & it's important to be able to remember how the good days feel.

Get that red wine open as soon as you get home (assuming that like most of us you're at lunch at work now :-) )
  • i'm afraid i've already treated myself with a great big slice of caramel shortbread at lunchtime which was delicious!! i'm sure that'll more than undo all the good work of my run calorie wise!
  • Susannah,

Enjoy the moment and remember that feeling of achievement.

As Nick says, things don't always go well so it's good to treat yourself when you reach a milestone.

Good luck on your next one.

All the best,

RB
  • Susannah - not impressive?? It's FANTASTIC! I haven't got up to 20 mins yet, but reading your post is a real inspiration! Rarely was a caramel shortbread so well deserved...
  • Susannah - this time last year, 30 minutes was just about my max, but I built it up steadily, and ran FLM in under 4 hours.

Very well done and keep on going ! Are you entering any races yet ?

• Susannah - well done!!! You should definitely be very proud.

Debbie - I had trouble breaking 30 mins when I started (in June this year). Eventually I discovered that I was trying to go too fast, by going slower (so slowly that it felt like I was nearly walking) I managed to build up the time. Also, try the run/walk method, i.e. run for a bit then walk for a minute or two and then run again, there's no rule to say you have to run continuously for an hour, and this is a good way to build it up.
  • After being inspired by Susannah, last night I decided to go out and run for as long as I could - leaving my watch at home. I ran slowly and used some breathing techniques that I'd read about. I ran my planned route plus a bit extra. When I checked the time, I'd been gone for 1 hour 4 minutes. I think I must have broken a psychological barrier (but definitely no speed records!)
    Today, a plate of chips, bag of crisps and a Chunky Kit Kat later, I feel like I need to do it again!
  • *applause*

I'm showing this to all the sceptics at work who 'can't even run the length of their own body'...you can if you try (except on a Monday morning)...well done!
  • Run slow and breathe in for 3 paces and out for 2 so that the start of each alternate exhale is on the opposite foot (does that make sense?)... It takes a while to get used to but really works! Got it from The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik. It's a good book although full of Americanisms that need to be translated in to English (or Australian for me).
  • this was defenately something i've been aiming at for a while and i'm looking forward to breaking the 1hr 30min mark now. when i started i was 4.5 stone overweight, which at 5ft 1in and very top heavy (if you get my drift) didn't make running that much fun, or easy. but now a stone lighter i'm really glad i've kept going. i intend to loose all the weight by next summer and then start to get really in training for the 2004 london marathon so that i can do a good time.

when i run i breathe in for 2 then out for 2, except going up any sort of hill when i have to breathe faster. because i've got asthma which is very mild i try to control it with my breathing rather than my inhaler, which i've not had to use much since i was a kid. therefore i do spend alot of my time making sure i'm breathing deeply enough and fast enough.

when i go out for a longer run i try to stop myself going too fast to begin with. so for the first 5 minutes i concentrate on jogging as slowly as possible, after that i get into a bit of a rythem and don't have to think about it anymore. this seems to be about a 10-11minute mile pace to be comfortable.

i intend to keep trying to add 10minutes or so on to my long run each week and then at the end of november i want to do my first ever 10mile race in Hayling Island, Portsmouth. i then want to find a 1/2 marathon to do in the spring. i wanted to do bath in march but i'm going away to new zealand for all of february and won't be able to do any consistant training so didn't think it was probably very sensible. what do you reccon?

• I with Susannah with her breathing technique. I actually think that's one of the great benefits of running is the counting of foot steps for each breath. All the other problems and stresses of the world just seem to disappear, at least for a little while anyway.

Just recently done my first 75 min run so know what the 60 min barrier means (well done Debbie). Next an easy 90 minutes this weekend, yuck.