First 3mile run: next goal?

All-

Today I did my first run of 3miles (on treadmill) and am feeling very proud ...and tired! It took 33 minutes. I have no idea about times...how does that compare (be honest!)? I am thinking my next goal should be 4miles, rather than greater speed. But am I wrong? Appreciate your views...

thanks
Robert

Comments

• Well done first of all. I try to stick to 10 min miles, which u are basically running which is v.good for a first run. Obvioulsy it does vary from person to person, and I find treadmill running very different from outdoor runing, but that also varies.

Keep up the good work.

Sara
  • Hello Robert,

Congratulations :-) 33 minutes sounds fine to me - it sounds good, in fact.

Having said that, my suggestion would be not to think about time right now. If you're starting out then I think it's best to concentrate on just getting out regularly and having fun. I think you'll find that as your body gets used to running, and then to running further, your speed will increase automatically. That's what happened to me, anyway. It's important not to try to do too much - distance or speed - too fast, as that way lies injury. Just keep getting out regularly and building up your distance gradually.

Congratulations again - 3 miles is a long, long way :-)
  • Many thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm really pleased to hear that my 10mins miles are ok. I think your advice about running regularly is very apt..in past years I tried running but was very erratic with how often. I'd leave it a week or two and feel like I was back at square one in terms of fitness level when I eventually ran again. This time around I am trying very hard to run regularly...so far I am managing 2-3 miles every other day and it definitely feels easier.

Mind you doing this first 3 miles has left me feeling tireder then ever before!
  • I think the important thing to set yourself is time goals rather than distance. Regular running is key, and you'll soon find that running becomes easier, and it is far easier to set yourself a time goal rather than a fraction of a mile. If you ran for 30 mins 2-3 times a week, then that is a goal in itself. Then you can introduce a longer run of, say 35 mins, and leave the others at 30. Then move it up to 40 mins and so on. By doing a longer (time) run, mixed with the sorter ones you will find that you will improve rapidly, so that the 30 minute runs feel refreshing. A lot of people concentrate on time running rather than distance because once you are running outside, it is difficult to get the distances precise, and as you get fitter, your running route will take less and less time. What was originally a 30 min route, might become 25, or even 20 mins - over the course of a week, or month, that is a large amount of time that your not running!

Keep it up, the rewards are huge!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I would also advise time on your feet rather than distance for someone just starting out. As a beginner you are running 3 miles in 33 minutes. 30 minutes or so is probably ample at the moment until your body gets used to the exercise - you do not want to risk injury by trying o do too much too soon.

A more experienced runner may run 4 miles in, say, 28 minutes. For you to run 4 miles would take longer, so the time spent on your feet would be increased, resulting in greater risk of injury. Stick to length of time and you'll soon find you're running further and further in the same time, the fitter you get.
  • Congrats M8 bit new to all this.But I feel a great sense of achievement today as I have just completed my first 3 miler in what I think is a reasonable time (24:30). Seeing as I’ve only been running since beginning of December. Just like to say thanks to all the little bits of advice that I have found in the forums on this site. It’s a good motivator reading them.
  • More great advice...thanks to Chris , Minkin and all. Very interesting what you say ...about time over distance and speed. I have to say before my goal had been distance, so I will definitely now adjust things to now try and go up from 33mins for 3 miles to a 40mins...and not focus on how far I have run.

I can see how this becomes addictive and greatly rewarding! Even the little things...today I was late for a work meeting and ran for just 6-8 mins. It was a breeze . Six months ago I could not have run for 2 minutes without being seriously out of breath. I never could have thought I could run for 33 mins !
  • 3 miles ... that's my goal ... started last week with run a minute walk a minute ... doubling that this week to a whole 2 mins run, walk a minute. My goal is to be able to run for 30 mins (hopefully about 3 miles) by end Feb.
    From there ... well, just want to be able to run in the countryside in the summer and enjoy it ... not bringing back awful schoolday runs!!
  • Once you get past the three-mile barrier, you've done the most difficult bit!!! Well done folks ;-)
  • and just a story to keep you going... my running partner started April 2001, running with me. He struggled to run for more than 15 minutes. In July 2001, he did his first 10k, in October 2001, his first half marathon, in Feb 2002, a 16 miler, and finally in April 2002, the marathon. Couch potato to marathon in 1 year. Keep at it, the rewards are great.
  • Chris, that was perfect timing.
    I couldn't go out this evening, so am sitting at the PC with a glass of Baileys, wondering if I don't enjoy this more than running after all.
    You have really inspired me, and I'm off to pack my bag for a run tomorrow.
    thanks
  • The key thing for me has been to run regularly and get into a true routine. Before recently I have been stop/start ...now I have upped the running I have found it easier to progress.

Furthermore today I did a shorter run, 1 mile on the treadmill, and kept it at 6mph (faster than I have run before in my longer runs) and found it quite easy.

The only problems I have at present are:
    a) I am getting very hungry all the time...major problem given that I am doing this to primarily lose weight!!!

b) I am suffering a bit from sore shins after , only really felt it today for the first time...maybe I overdid it...3 runs in 4 days.

• Robert
    If you get a chance try reading The Looniness of the Long Distance Runner which is a book based on the diary of an unfit Londoner's attempt to run the New York City Marathon. It is very funny but struck a chord with me as I could relate only to well to his experiences when I started running and trained for my first half marathon.
    Best wishes and keep up the good work>

WeeC
  • WeeC

Thanks for the book recommendation...it sounds fantastic. I am definitely going to get this!

Robert
  • Robert

We seem to be in the same ball park here. On the treadmill I recently completed 6k in 35 mintues with 2min walk, 4 min run(x5) with 5 min cooldown.
    I weigh in at 105kilos.
    I restructured in my training to this method in Jan 03, cos my old system of legging it for 30 mins and having two weeks off did nothing for me.
    Sunday 19 Jan sees an increase to 2 min walk and 5 min run(x5)plus 5 min cooldown and if 6k is hit I'll be very happy.

More important to build a good base using minutes rather than miles.
  • I don't see there's anything wrong in using a treadmill in the first place to build up a base fitness, it is very different than the road, but also is less of a strain on the joints.

My current schedule starts with a 2-3 minute fast pace walk then run for 10 mins, then fast pace walk for 5 mins, then 20 mins running, 5 mins walk and the 10 mins run. I've only been back running for a couple of weeks staying on the treadmill and last week I ran for 45 mniutes, but I really paid for it the first part of this week.

Don't try to overdo, don't worry too much about pace and don't worry if everyone else here is doing more than you. As Neil says, go for minutes rather than miles, but do it gradually.