Marathon Books

Can anyone recommend any good marathon guides for beginners or maybe any inspirational tales of first marathons? I've entered the FLM and need all the help I can get!

Comments

• John 'The Penguin' Bingham's book is OK for beginners (that is I wouldn't recommend it for more seasoned runners). I'm sure there is a link somewhere on this site
  • Wooster

I second the vote for 'marathoning for mortals'

I got mine signed by the man him self. I followed his training schedules and was right on target for a sub 5 marathon but got struck down with a nasty lurgy :-(
  • For my first marathon I got a book off of Amazon called "The Non-Runners' Marathon Trainer" or something like that. Didn't realise until too late that it was written by Americans. It had some very good stuff in it but what really sticks in my memory is the way it advised you to deal with hills or pain - by embracing them and saying to yourself "hello, hills - I've been expecting you! Come run with me!", "hello, agonisingly painful blisters! I've been expecting you too! Come run with me".
  • I've just ordered a few off Amazon: The Looniness of the Long Distance Runner, Marathon Running for Mortals and First Marathons: Personal Encounters with the 26.2-Mile Monster. Only one training book but the other 2 looked quite interesting.

I do like the idea of talking to your blisters though! Suppose it makes sense that a lot of running is about psychological barriers and I'm happy to embrace anything that will help me get round. Maybe I can give the blisters names. Should I be worried if they answer back??
  • Has to be "The non-runners marathon trainer"
  • The Runner's Handbook has some good stuff on Marathons