smoothies

Has anyone got any good recipes for nice tasting smoothies? I've got some fruit, yoghurt, ice cream, ice etc but I would like to know what proportions etc taste good.

Comments

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    proportions schmoportions! Just bung stuff in and give it a whirl!

;oD
  • bung in stawberries, banana, pineapple juice. Turn on machine and wahey!

Hope this helps.

• I'm a smoothie drinker after Jj's heart, but yesterday I bunged in 2 large chunks of watermelon, 2 red grapefruit, 2 apples, small amount of leftover orange juice, a whole carton of low fat natural yoghurt and 2 tablespoons of honey and it tastes great. Made enough for about 3 large glasses (3 days worth to take to work with me).
  • Oh forgot to say that I usually bung stuff in, whirl it for a bit, taste it and then add more stuff depending on what/if it needs.
  • do they freeze well?

I make gazpacho & stick it in the freezer so the day I take it out, after sitting in the office all morning it's at the correct temp for lunch. Yum.
  • some fresh fruit wont keep that well - it ferments - watermelon does fairly quickly i think -
    but im basing it on the packs of chopped salad that the supermarkets sell - once fruit is cut up it doesnt stay fresh long apples can go brown too - but ive never made more smoothie than ive been able to drink in one go -or at least in the same day !

• Don't know about freezing - wouldn't want to try it though. Am keeping mine in the fridge and it seems to be okay at the moment, but this is the first time I've tried it.
  • I usually keep fruit in the freezer & most of its ok though melon ain't too clever. Berries, bananas and pineapples are all defo OK!

I like to chuck the odd egg into the creamier smoothies. Fave is simple

OJ
    Yoghurt
    Frozen nana
    Egg
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Save some for later?

but they're so yummy! How can you do that? Or are you like my niece, who hoards chocolate and only eats a bit at a time?

[shakes head in disbelief]
  • i have turned into a smoothie addict!!
    try a cup of fresh strawberries,2 bananas and pure orange juice and whizz in blender -i find it nicer if i freeze my strawberries 1st. today i tried pineapple,banana,soy milk and low fat coconut milk-yum.
    read a web page which had recipes;for fast carbs and electrolytes try; half mango,250ml lucozade sport,banana,and raspberries.
    or half melon,cold lemon lucozade sport,bunch green grapes,and pinch salt.
    cold buster; orange juice,strawberries,half chopped papaya without seeds and banana.
    really i just experiment with different fruits-just make sure ure blender can cope-i'm onto my 2nd one as my 1st one couldnt cope withe ice!! enjoy fellow smoothie junkie!!
  • Hey,

Since begining my half marathon training, ive tried and tested several post-run smoothie recipes. Here's one of my favourite: 

Banana Almond shake ( this recipe is perfect after a very long run, and it could even be used on half marathon day)

Ingredients (makes 2 large glasses)
    300ml Milk
    50g Ground almonds
    2tbsp Honey
    1 ½ Bananas
    3tbsp Fat-free greek yoghurt
    2 drop Vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients together using a hand blender or food processor.

Banana almond shake

Why you should have it

The ground almonds contain muscle building protein and are rich in magnesium, which is good at relaxing and relieving stiff muscles. The yoghurt, besides being a good source of protein and calcium, is rich in B12, which is needed for muscle growth and appetite control. Honey contains quick-release carbs which helps the body refuel, and will also replenish reserves which have been depleted by exercise, speeding the recovery process and preventing fatigue.

Tip: for a lactose free smoothie replace the greek yoghurt and milk with almond milk.

Another recipe can be found at my Cardiff running blog.

• I like using tinned peaches and fresh kiwi fruit in my smoothies, plus any other fruit that's going spare. Though apples tend to make it more of a 'lumpy' than a proper smoothie.

P.S. Yes, they do usually freeze okay. I used to make ice lollies with mine. Yum!