whats next ?

Hi
After a long lay off from running about 10years I have almost completed the begginers program and I am now running 30 mins at a slow pace and feel fine after the run.I just wonder what I should do after this program I would like to build up some speed but at 65 years old I wonder if I can cope.Can anyone advise me.
Arthur

Comments

• Arthur, I did a 5-mile race at the weekend and the male over-60s winner was faster than the male 40-49 and 50-59 winners (and 10 minutes faster than me - I'm 38).

Don't let your age put you off moving to the intermediate programme, but be prepared for the fact that 65-year-old muscles and tendons and ligaments are not going to be as flexible and resilient as 25-year-old ones. For you, it's doubly important to make sure that you have good quality running shoes that suit your feet, and that you have rest days and are prepared to cross-train on the bike or in the pool if you get sore.

There's plenty of evidence that your heart and lungs remain trainable - and benefit from training - right up until the late seventies at least. You may not equal your old PBs, but you still have the capacity to perform well, particularly in endurance events.

Go for it!

Cheers, V-rap.