Leg pain

I have recently had a pain in my right leg.Its around my calf and the front, left hand side of my shin. I only ever get it in a morning after my run and it stays with me the rest of the day. After about a mile or so running it seems to dissapear. But then comes back on a night time and morning.

I've tried all sorts of ways to reduce it- ice baths, RICE method and resting, but it still keeps coming back. I may be due to alot of tabbing (speed marching) i'm doing at the moment on a weekend.
Any one else experenced this or has any ideas than please enlighten me.

Thanks Matthew.

Comments

• Dear Matthew,

I am just a beginner runner and i have been experiencing pain in my right knee since i have been running on the treadmill. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a keen runner and she said it is important to have the right sort of trainers. Mine certainly were not! They were Reebok Classics! they also say you are supposed to change trainers regularly if you run, and this is supposed to reduce injury.

Hope you feel better soon
    xxx
  • I have the exact same problem, and it comes and goes, but yesterday it really hurt. I'm pretty sure it is shin splints, which is common amongst runners.

Continue to ice it a lot and to stretch the calf muscle a lot. Running tends to aggrivate it, so it would be best to choose alternative exercise for a few weeks else you may worsen it. I'm not running until at least the 15t October.

get it checked out by a physio if self-treatment continues to prove ineffective.