Calories

I know roughly how many calories it takes to run a mile for my bodyweight and I know my heart rate over the time it takes to run a certain distance at a certain speed, say 1 mile. Can I work at that heart rate for a similar length of time on, say, a rowing machine and assume I have burnt roughly the same calories, or are the energy expenditures different?

Any help/advice appreciated

Ta

OB

Comments

• Yes they are dirrerent.Here is a reliable guide based on a person of 70kg and per minute of exercise.

Running:pace-3.3m/s = 12.6 cals
    -5.0m/s = 17.5 cals
    -6.6m/s = 99.2 cals

Note the huge jump between 5m/s and 6.6m/s

Rowing:pace -0.84m/s =3.2 cals
    -1.60m/s =12.7 cals

Note the big jump in cals for double pace

others to note.

Cycling pace 10km/hr =5.0 cals
    20km/hr =10.0 cals

Note at this pace increase is proportional

Swimming: pace 0.17m/s =3.5 cals
    0.90m/s =14.7 cals
    1.16m/s =30.1 cals

Note the big increases in relation to pace.

If you look at this you will see that depending what you are doing relates to what you should have eaten in appropriate fuel for the exercice workload. I saw a question put on a forum recently about what they needed to eat prior to running. This is impossible to answer without knowing leangth of run and pace.

You can draw up your own chart by relating this information for a weight of 70kg down to 1kg and multiply by your weight.

Hope this helps. Ron.

• Thanks Ron.

My normal running pace is closer to 3.3 m/s than 5.0 but rowing (Concept II) I go at least 3 times faster than the 1.6 m/s you quote. Can the values you give for rowing be used for work on the erg. rather than on water?

cheers

OB
  • Sorry your question got missed. Yes the figures I gave you for rowing are on water.
    How they compare with an exercise rower depends on the type of rower.

I suggest you go on the Concept 2 website at

www.concept2.co.uk

Remember that running will always burn more calories than rowing or cycling for any given time, because in running you are exercising against body weight. The exception is of course unless you have a loading tention set very high. This makes it difficult to make comparisons unless the limiting factor is made known. Work load is normaly given in watts. Anyhow look on the website,it may help. As should your Gym.

All the best Ron.