barcelona-rotterdam marathons

124»

Comments

• jimimac
    well my time for the marathon was 4.35
    the day was fine but very cold,I took it
    easy for the first 2mile (20mis) the upped the pace as my knee was ok, then my thighs
    started to hurt at around 20mies and it was all downhill from there walked then ran with 2mile to go, with my knee going on
    the hill towards the finish but managed
    to cross the line running .
    great crowds there especially the americans with there cheering.
    there is nothing untll next year have applied for LONDON will wait and see.
  • Hi kg,
    Well done. Glad your knee held out and hope you haven`t damaged it. You won`t know for about 10 days until you get the marathon out of your system.
    Am still struggling. Did 5m on tues and wed and not too bad. Have started a self massage and stretching routine, which seems to be working.
    Well done again and wish I had been there.
  • Hi kg
    how is your knee now?? Hope it`s returning to normal. Am injured again!! My knee this time -- it`s sore going down stairs but ok going up. It`s just not my year.Have you done London before? I never think about entering for London. I think that the crowds would put me off.Get well soon
  • jimimac
    still havent been out training yet.
    knee still sore on occasions ,maybe try
    training next week ,no info on the london marathon others have received theirs ,looks
    like im not in this year.
    i ll have to think of a new marathon abroad
    next year.
    hope things are going well with you
  • Hi kg,
    bad luck on the London entry. I would love to do the Rome marathon, but the way things are going with injuries I am starting to despair a bit. Managed 3x 5 mile runs this week and each time suffered afterwards, although while running it was ok. am going tomorrow to get a free gait analysis, which might point out something shoe-wise.Have tried lightweights,stability and motion control shoes but still have the hip pains after a run. Maybe it`s just age. Am going to run a 10k race on sat week aand give it all. If I cant get under 48 mins I will consider giving up racing and just do jogging. Hope your knee is on the mend
  • jimimac
    how are you long time no hear
    ran my first 10k last month at 48min,knee
    still hurting but keep training whenever possible,snow and torrential rain here.
    hope things are better for you.
  • hi kg,
    good to hear from you. Am still running but still hip pain. Am only doing around 20-25 miles a week. Did a 10k in 47mins but was totally wrecked for a week afterwards.Am not motivated enough to run outdoors so all runs are on treadmill --very boring. Am hoping to run the Larne 1/2 mara on 13th Mar and trying to get in shape for it. Have you seen anyone about the knee. It`s been about 4 mnths since you first injured it.
    Any marathon plans for this year?
  • jimimac
    no i havnt seen anyone about my knee, the
    pain comes and goes. will be trying a 10k and1/2 marathon in march.
    thinking about the CONNEMARA MARATHON end
    of march ? then BLACKPOOL in june.
    was out for an 1.15 on friday and 1.30 on
    sunday ,knee felt ok during the run but
    sore next day, so only running every 2days.
  • hi kg,
    would love to do the Connemarathon after reading all the forumites reports last year but sadly i would not be fit enough. Am considering the 1/2 marathon but would feel such a wimp watching everyone doing the full race. Am very interested in the Blackpool race as i might get fit enough for June. The last run i have done above 10k was a 1/2 mara last June. Am tempted to try a 12 mile run on Sunday. Have finally got an appointment with an ortho consultant and am going to insist on a scan to see just what is wrong. It could be something simple. The worst is not knowing and wondering if training is making it worse. Would advise you to see about the knee
  • jimimac
    how are things with you?
    have run 2 races this year 10k& 1/2 marathon
    time off 1.45 and knee felt ok.
    have another planned for 9th may and then a
    weeks holiday in tenerife.
    knee still sore now and again ,keep going to see about it but work gets in the way.
    hope to register for the BLACKPOOL MARATHON
    this week. how was your scan?
    ken
  • hi kg,
    am still suffering but have managed 3 races in the last 6 wks
    5 miles ----- 38mins 20 secs
    10k ---------47mins 51 secs
    5k ----------22mins 08 secs
    But felt really awful during them and even worse afterwards. Have not got the scan yet.
    Am only managing around 20 miles per week as hips and back get really sore
    Am on holiday in Portugal at the moment
    have been here for 6 days and have only managed one 8 mile run as it is so warm and hilly. Would love to do Blackpool but dont think i can get fit enough in time but I may as well enter and hope to do so
    Keep up the training and do see about the knee
  • jimimac
    if nothing else enjoy the sunshine.
    hope to try and get in some training now the schools are back. still to register for blackpool,maybe this week, but would still like to run a marathon later this year abroad
    see you soon.
  • kg,
    what marathon abroad are you thinking about?
  • jimimac
    how are you?
    what have you been doing?
    ran the BLACKPOOL MARATHON last week 3.58
    felt ok .weather raining but dried up by the end.
    knee still playing up now and then.
  • kg,
    great marathon time. Am still getting nowhere with my injury. Ran a 10k four weeks ago and had to walk twice!!!! finished in 53 mins!!! longest run i have done in 13 mnths was half mara in june 2003.
    Am sick of all the quacks.physios, doctors, chiropracters, osteopaths, podiatrists. All they do is take money but no results.
    Hope your knee gets better.
  • jimimac
    knee seems to be a lot better,havent done much training these days but my right thigh
    gets a dull pain after a run.
    i have the glasgow 1/2 marathon at the end of the month, so better get running.
    hope thongs get better for you.
    ken
  • jininac
    glasgow 1/2 marathon in 1.51, very hot day
    and drinking the night before did not help
    but good to get racing again couple of blisters on my toes and legs stiff today
    but feeling fine. how are you feeling these
    days?
  • Hi kg,
    am still suffering. am only doing around 15 miles per week. If i go above 5 miles my hips ache so am only doing 3x5mile runs in an attempt to build up slowly with lots of rest and stretching.
    Did a 10k two weeks ago ---- 50m18secs --- was on target for 45 mins but blew up in the last km, probably due to no long training runs. I won't give up yet.
    how is your knee. Hope it's getting better.
  • JIMIMAC
    ran the STIRLING 10K today at just over 47m
    weather ok but earlier and now it is raining very hard. we seem to be having rain most days.
    my next race is DENNY10K in 2 weeks, knee
    still not right but not a painful as it has been.
    how are you keeping?
    ken
  • jimimac
    DENNY 10K this weekend and then going for
    the BRUSSELLS MARATHON next week.
    havent done anything specific for this race
    as it was a last minute chance.
    just getting round will be enough.
    how are you?
    ken
  • Hi Ken,
    still slogging away but not much better. I would give anything to be as fit as I was at Barcelona. Am doing 15-16 miles per week and loads of stretching. Am afraid to race as a flat out run wrecks me for days. The thought of a marathon fills me with despair as I cant get much further than 10k without pain. Good luck with Brussels and dont injure yourself.
    How did you do at the DENNY 10k
  • jimimac
    ran the BRUSSELLS MARATHON in just over 4hrs. but felt i could have done better with more training.
    a few problems with there fist marathon,
    started early ,winding first 2miles, not
    very scenic and an uphill and cobbled finish. may try next year if can get a
    deal on airfares.
    how are you?
    knee less bothersome these days,this maybe
    due to less running.
    weather here gales and torrential rain.
  • hi ken,
    congrats on the Brussels run. Am still crocked and only doing around 15 miles per week. Am afraid to enter a race and run fast as I feel so bad after. Still i will soldier on and hope for better times. last road race of the year is a 10k in 3 weeks time and i might enter.
    Keep up the training and glad to hear about your knee
  • jimimac
    how are things with you on the run up to christmas. may be running the ROME MARATHON
    in MARCH.
    still waiting on word from FLM but dont have much hope.
    started back at training every 2 days, knee
    feels ok,but will monitor this situation.
    may try the BLACKPOOL MARATHON in JUNE again
    next year.
    HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS WHEN IT COMES.
    KEN
  • For a marathon with a difference,try Mannheim (Germany) on 21st May, race starts at 1730 so you end up running through the city in the dark! And for your running friends/family who may not be up for a full mara, they also have a marathon relay, 3 runners at 10km each and the last one does 12.2 - did it this year and it was great fun.
  • website is www.mlp-marathon.de

I've registered already and I'm number 1712.
  • jimimac
    been rejected for london but have my no for
    rome marathon and have signed up for blackpool
    marathon. have been training last week but weather today is minus 3 will have get out ther and run .
    how are you .
    ken
  • Hi ken,
    am still not getting better. did a mile race flat out 6min 10sec. could barely walk for a week afterwards.
    Even slow runs are now hurting. Used to regard a half marathon race as an easy gallop but now even thinking of that distance hurts. i might take a few months off running entirely, then build up slowly to see if that will help.
    Go easy on the knee and stick to grass and trails for the long runs.
    Good luck with Rome. I would do almost anything to be fit again
  • jimimac
    how are you these days
    now only 5 weeks untill the rome marathon
    the last 3 weekend i have ran 11/2 ,2, and
    23/4hrs at marathon pace. knee still ok
    i have also signed up for the blackpool marathon in june.
    regards ken
  • jimimac
    ran the ROME MARATHON in 4.25 it was run over miles and miles of cobbles but a great place to visit. great to meet the folks from the web site and the organisation and the cost,medal,
    backpack were terrific value for money ,
    how are things with you?
    getting back in training for BLACKPOOL in june
    some of the rome runners are running LONDON
    the BLACKPOOL SO I WILL SEE THEM THERE.
    KEN