Options

The Duchy Marathon 2005

MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
Calling Cornwall runners who are in the know.....

I know it's early days, but are the organizers sticking with a spring date? Anyone know when that date is for next year?

I'd like to have a go at this one without a gale force headwind.

Comments

• Options
    KessmanKessman ✭✭✭
    Hi Muttley,Duchy marathon march 13th,don't know about medals and pasties.But hopefully no wind next year.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    March 13! I'll note it down. Cheers.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's good, 2 weeks before I do Conne, perfect timing.
  • Options
    Is it a hard to do marathon or a PB friendly one?

How can I entry it?
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi there Spud !! I cant believe I'm actually back posting again after 12 days with a mashed hard drive ....ggggrrrrrr

The 2-lap course has two significant hills, one at Mile 10 & one at Mile 22, otherwise it's generally flat - nothing as tough as the previous Single loop course (where I met Shades in May 1999 - I was doing my FIRST !! and she was doing her 17th !!)

Cornwall AC organise it - I'll go & check for entry info
  • Options
    Thank you Paskha. Are you doing it?
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    BOING for Dodge who just started another thread!

Spud - I have managed to complete the Duchy every year since 1999 - and so had Shades and it's not even her "local" marathon !! unfortunately she didn't make it this year due to illness - and she was sorely missed - you never imagine Shades not being there!

There was only 39 of us in 2000, so very worrying that it might cease - so have done it even when I shouldn't have!! it just meant walking rather a lot

www.cornwallac.org.uk is the website - but I don't think there's entry forms for 2005 yet
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    This year there were just over 200 starters. 102 finished the full distance - a lot stopped at the 20-mile marker, I think some of the serious competitive types peeled off after the first lap after the headwind made sure they wouldn't get a good time.

I came 87th. Only event I've ever had a top 100 finish in :-)
  • Options
    How come this isn't stuck on the Race Entry info page on Events?

Anyway, some logistical questions, how is it for accomodation near to the start and how about public transport?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    The venue is a hotel, and if memory serves there was a special deal for marathon runners this year (but don't quote me on that).

Public transport - depends what kind and where you are, but Redruth has a mainline station with direct trains to Paddington.
  • Options
    Trains from London'll do me. Any camping or hostels near by? What were the hotel charging and is it a big hotel with enough capacity for all the entrants or did it fill up early?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I can't remember what they were charging, but it's a big place, plenty of room in it, and with it being the off season it's not expensive.

Hotels in Redruth

The race starts from the Penventon, btw.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dodge - most of the entrants drive there on the day (Devon & Cornwall folk, that is).
  • Options
    If I get a place in flm, I might do the 20 mile option on this. Timing is just about right.
  • Options
    In all probability, entry forms are not yet available.
    At the last Cornwall Road Running and Racing Group meeting in July, Cornwall A.C. advised that they were investigating the possibility of the 20 mile run finishing at the Penventon, rather than out in the sticks like last year. The first lap would be as last year, but there is an alternative "short-cut" that could be used on the second lap. Its just a question of sorting out the exact distances involved. Once this is done ,they will then be able to go ahead with the entry forms/race details etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for that info Shades, I was after an early spring mara and this looks like it'll fit the bill nicely. Have emailed the hotel, looks fair posh.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    on your best behaviour then Dodge!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Yup, sounds good Runnerpete. A 20-mile finish at the Penventon would be a good idea, but I'm not knocking the organizers for this year's course.

It'd be even better if we could finish by going to the Penventon the front way instead of that final loop through town and up to the back entrance. That last little incline polished me off altogether.
  • Options
    Quite agree Muttley. 3 years ago, you took the first exit at the roundabout near the Penventon, went up the bypass and then a loop underneath by Tescos, then into the back of the Penventon.
    This was changed because of safety concerns by Tescos .
    The problem with going into the finish down the drive to the front door and cutting that circuit out , is getting the extra distance in
  • Options
    13th March you say? I could be interested in the 20 mile option, as I've a deferred FLM entry for next year. No doubt Shades will try & talk me into doing the full distance.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be wasting my time Dunnarunner, you're far to sensible to be influenced by a marathon nutter.
    I saw you out running on Tuesday, you were going really fast, good luck for Amsterdam next week.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    20 miles or full distance, it's a great event, Dunnarunner. You know you want to do it.
  • Options
    Shades - I couldn't have been going that fast as Pete Vine came past me on Kingsteignton Road!

God willing, Muttley, I'll be there for at least 20 miles.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I bet he walked when he got round the corner (sorry Pete!). You looked fast and comfortable.
  • Options
    Pete did in fact stop at the Community Centre for his Spinning class just after he'd flown by me - he must have been practising his finishing sprint!
  • Options
    Getting back to the thread topic - does anyone who has run both know how this course compares to the Cornish marathon in November?
  • Options
    Fresh (!) after my first marathon, and still in that state of contented delusion, I would be quite interested in doing this...

Is this apples and pears or to be Cornish-like comparing Skinners with The Rock Brewery in terms of comparisons with the Cornish Marathon next month?

I am keen to run the CM, and The Duchy in March.
  • Options
    KessmanKessman ✭✭✭
    Dunnarunner,Duchy like a pan cake compared to the Cornish,only one serious hill which you do twice.
    Unfortunately Duchy is the same day as the Grizzly.
  • Options
    Well I haven't entered the Grizzly, which I have already done twice, so I'm not too worried about missing it next year. I hear they've moved the start/finish of the Cornish so you don't have that long climb up from the start at Rilla Mill any more, and therefore the long descent to the finish. So, I'm still interested in the Duchy & have printed off an entry form from Cornwall AC's web site.