Lets talk Football

I can't believe there isn’t a football thread so here it is. I’m a Liverpool supporter who has been starved of “success” over the years and hoping the Rafael Benitez can put together a team that I can have some faith in. Even though we won on Saturday in many ways it was a fortunate victory as we were very poor in a lot of areas. A better team than Fulham would not have allowed us back into the match. We do not have the ability to create chances for our forwards especially away from home and they need to work harder and move of the ball better.

As for Arsenal can anybody stop them?? On current form the answer is no. I believe that if ManU don’t beat them next Saturday then they could go another season unbeaten.

Anyway hope to talk some more footy with other supporters.

Stylish

Comments

• Mr PP is a spurs fan - I have a neaky suspicion that I might be watching footie tonight!!!
  • StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    I thought you'd be out running?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Please don't talk about the "F" word.

Very depressing for anyone of a Scottish persuasion at the moment. :o(
  • StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi Nessi. I have to say that Scotland hasn't produced any talent of note for decades. I remember the days of Hansen,King Kenny,Souness etc and then they were a force to be reckon with. Liverpool quite often went up to Scotland to pick up good players.
  • Stylish, a great game for us against Fulham. Can't agree that much with the lack of chances, there were quite a lot but we do seem to struggle with Stevie. I also have a snaeking suspicion we'll be the team to beat them, but only if we do it at Anfield, and only if this zonal marking is explained to the players and working by then! We have a good few weeks to get it right though.. and we need it!!

Good to see Chelsea get beaten at the weekend.. here's hoping Arsenal will flatten the Mancs on the weekend as well.

Mr PP must be feeling pretty good right now.. Spurs are playing pretty well this season!

Nessie - I'm Scottish too.. very depressing International scene right now - I reckon we'll be well shot of Vogts after this board meeting they're trying to organise. I hope it'll be Strachan - we may well keep on losing, but at least he'll be entertaining!! The Tartan Army is badly needed at Germany 2006, so I suggest the national team start wearing kilts "the traditional way" and strategic use at free kicks may put the opposition off :-))
  • sorry, that should read "struggle without Stevie".

by the way, Biscan looked like all his Christmas' had come at once yesterday.. I was laughing my socks off!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Walter Smith is being talked about as the next Scotland manager. You poor sods.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Strachan was the name being bandied about in the Scottish Sunday papers, Gavo.

As Dandy says, he'll be entertaining.

I suspect we'd need divine intervention to get to Germany though.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Stylish - good to see you sticking up for your Lancastrian cousins and supporting the mighty Man U on Sunday.

I don't know if the @rse will necessarily go another season unbeaten if we don't do them but I do know they can win the Premiership next weekend.

For me it's not about the points and the maths at this stage of the season, it's about the pattern developing. Chelsea aren't getting enough goals and we're nowhere near consistent enough. Even if the ar$e do drop a few games I can't see either of us capitalising.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I heard Strachan as well but saw Smiffy's name listed somewhere this morning. I hope you get the former. And some defenders if you get the chance
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    :oP

(A couple of midfielders and a striker wouldn't go amiss either.)
  • Dandy - mr PP is chuffed to bits with spurs - last year he mentioned possible relegation if they didn't get their @rse into gear. New Manager seems to be doing the trick.

Stylish I would much rather be out plodding, but my legs are killing me!! I did the womburn 10k yesterday (nobody mentioned the first 6k being all s*dding up hill!!!)
  • I will be at Old Trafford on Sunday (After running the Gin Pit 5 so best get my skates on.........actually that might be cheating)

I've been a season ticket holder with Man U for over 20 years. I've seen some shite, relegation, Paddy Roach, Ralh Milne (Who???)
    I,ve also seen some of the best football ever. The last 10 years or so have been like a dream. However.................I know how Arsenal fans are feeling right now. Unbeatable, always going to be entertained, the best in the country.
    It pains me to say it but Arsenal are fantastic at the moment.
    We can beat them on Sunday as we can beat anyone on our day but I can see Arsenal dominating english footy for a few years.

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Dandy - great to hear from a fellow Pool supporter. We need to beat Deportivo tomorrow.

Higs - Yeh I wan't Manu To win only so that It gives everybody else a ray of hope. But the Arse are in another league at the moment.

Nessie- (A couple of midfielders and a striker wouldn't go amiss either.)

I heard Archie Gemmil was being talked out of retirement.LOL
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Coisty played pretty well against the Celebs ;O)
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    As long as you don't get Scot Gemmill back in the team. Makes Paul McStay look adventurous.
  • StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    PP

"Stylish I would much rather be out plodding, but my legs are killing me!! I did the womburn 10k yesterday (nobody mentioned the first 6k being all s*dding up hill!!!)"

I know how you feel, mine are killing me too. Just remember a hard run is followed by an easy one. Next time you do a 10K it will be a PB, the benefit of those 6K's uphill.
  • higs,plod,
    i'll be at old trafford too and agree about the arse.they will dominate fora while but sport goes in cycles and ours will come round again.however the performances against b'mingham and middlesboro were hardly inspiring!
  • To The Amazing Mr Plod - You're in the minority of Man Utd fans who have been going to Old Trafford since before football was invented in 1992 then ;) [don't worry, I'm not going to blame you for being a Man U supporter... my manager fills that position!]. same goes for you too travis ;)

In the immortal words of some bloke off't telly, I hope you get stuffed by the Arsenal. It's only a game, though :)

Stylish - I'm not confident, but I'll certainly feel better about the Depor game if we put our 2nd half team out! As far as I can tell we're at least 3 months from the point where Rafa should have his team out (rather than the current makeshift houllier-benitez product!). Still reckon we'll be in a race for third by Christmas though - with Man Utd. Can't wait to see what this Nunez lad does for the team, though.
  • dandy,
    met an awful lot of part-time scouse reds especially in the 80's.think they are supporting some team from north london now.
    have no objection to liverpool fans wanting us to get stuffed,it's the same the other way around....i was cheering when mickey thomas scored for arsenal..sad but true.:)
  • StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Dandy, the team for tomorrow will probably be

Kirkland
    Josembi Carra Hypia Riise
    Garcia Alonso Hamman Kewell
    Baros Ciise

I don't think that Garcia can play any where apart from behind a front man or two.
    In the absence of an alternative I would play Kewell there and Warnock of the left.
    Or maybe Finnan on the right.

Nunez is about 4 weeks away from playing. I think we will also sign Vista in the January window. Don't be surprised to see Gerrard go then to if we are well behind in the EPL and Alonso is doing the business.

• sad but true travis.. there are always the bandwaggon fans who've moved from merseyside, machester and now settling around north london. you would have been cheering around the same point I threw my scarf in that particular game then.

Stylish - that is the team I reckon he'll put out. I don't think Finnan will make the starting 11, but will be on the bench along with Dudek Biscan Traore :( Diao :( and Flo-Po.
  • There's no way that Strachan, or any other half-decent manager, would take the Scotland job. A good coach could make a marginal improvement, but the players are just not there. The World Cup campaign is over, so there's no meaningful competitive football for another 2 years. Who'd want that?

All this talk about the Premiership is pretty dull. I marvel that people can get excited about these celeb teams, full of badge-kissers who don't really give a toss about which club they play for.

But don't get me started on that...

• changing the subject, but still on football this is as relevant now as it was two years ago

thing is, no one argues anymore about the Premiership since the Arse started on their boring 49 match run - it's now all over bar the shouting.
  • What more can I say, the great man (AW) summed it up in the papers today when he said we are being spoiled. I have to admit it is true as there were an element of the Highbury crowd that were almighty p!ssed when we 'drew' against Bolton, and more shamefully those that were venting angry frustration at our inability to find the net on Saturday (1st half only). What these 'fans' were failing to realise is that they were watching football that is so good you should be lapping it up. Sorry to gloat but we are in football heaven at present.

ManYoo, well the bubble has burst. What was a good unit with young enthusiastic players and a good academy has run away with itself. I know I will probably be proved wrong but a front 4 costing £XXXM couldnt score in Brixton at the moment. Ferguson for the chop maybe?

Spudz seem to be shaping up now, although they dont seem to be scoring that many. They will be a hard team to beat this season.

My dark horses are Boro. They have a really good manager who one could say is still developing, and a good side. Funny how Chelski get shot of Hasslebank when they sure could do with him now.

I think Liverpool are showing flashes of brilliance and er flashes of sh!te. I do hope they do well just so that Alan tw@t Hansen can have his comments shoved up his ass at the end of the season. Liverpool or Everton for 2nd per-lease as we sure could do with a scouse team up at the top again.

• sorry to change the note but let's talk championship footy for 5 mins!! i'm a massive nffc fan i went to the wolves game on fri nite and what a gd result for us and how much did we need that!! hopefully it will help us to turn that corner and produce another gd result against mr warnocks scum tmoz nite which i'll also b at.
  • Nice to see the A****** playing the Tottenham way after all this time.

"Mine eyes have seen the glory"
  • I'm a Villa fan who made the trip to Highbury on Saturday.

I was talking to an Arsenal fan on the walk back to the Tube and he said

"The problem now is that we get disappointed when we don't score more than 3"

My response "Mmmm, I can see how difficult that must be for you!!!"
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    You a Holte Ender amfy?

Nice to see a fan of a proper team on here!