Pace calculator

Nice feature.

My easy and long runs are quicker than suggested.

My speed work is slower than suggested.

Maybe I am not trying hard enough?

Comments

• Same here.
    And I thought I was trying hard, too.
  • I put in my 3k race time from today and all I can say is eeekkkk!!!! no way could I do the sprinting pace they suggested or the tempo pace. easy and long runs fine.

Maybe thats why I am useless at short races like the 3ks and 5ks no sprinting speed.
  • Ok I can do the speed but only for short distances. To be fair I haven't done any track work so haven't tried any of the faster paces.

The reason I know I can do the faster paces is that after some steady runs, I do 5 - 10 intervals of 1 minute. Legging it each time. Poor technique I suspect. But I have been down to 6:30 min/miling. But that is what 150 - 200 yards.
  • Handy tool - I tend to use macmillan's but this is nice & straightforward for a simple soul like me to refer to, especially those scary faster paces!
  • I can't get it to work! Put in recent distance & time data, click calculate, nowt happens.
  • heebiejeebie

There is a line about troubleshooting at the bottom of the page.

Something about having Javascript working on your browser.
  • Sam - the 2 statements in your first paragraph go hand in hand.

It is a common mistake for people to run their `easy' runs too fast which then means they don't get the full benefit from the fast stuff.

I'd recommend running at no more than 70% HR max on your easy days.
  • Possible BR

I admit to not having a working HRM so go by my perceived effort.

I find when I went by the HRM, I am meant to go no faster than walking for what was then described as fat burning range (60 - 70%). Having said that when I first got a HRM about 7 years ago, I went on the 220 rule for max HR. Also my HR would shoot up for the slightest effort. This made me downhearted so haven't used the HRM since.

I think it is also possible that I am not trying hard enough on the speed stuff because I have too many perceived obstacles, e.g. roads to cross, people in the way, cars to avoid etc

Once I get the logistics sorted out by saying go down to a track, I will be able to try out the speed sessions properly.
  • Well I just put my times in and the returns for different paces are pretty much what I do now

Must be doing something right .......
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Oh

My

Goodness.

No wonder I get so frustrated with this 70 per cent lark. ALL my runs are tempo runs, apparently!!

LOL!

Right - after Grim I'm going to do this "base training, please pass" malarky for a few months, see what happens.
  • Thanks Sam P, I checked that and all looks OK but still nothing happening.
  • Sorted! It just didn't like Netscape. Tried again using Internet Explorer and it worked instantly.
  • Great article.

I have struggled with books and the like in trying to calculate what I should be training at for rep sessions. This makes it really easy. It also identifies areas where I am lacking. So Thanks RW
  • I tend to turn off at this stuff - too techno for me and I just like running. But now its there in my face I'll try some of the suggested times out (can I really run at 6:45 mins/mile pace for ANY distance??!!).

Hey, I'm on a roll: 3 10k PBs in a row so I need to do somrthing to keep it going . . .
  • I'm impressed with it.
    But it says I'm running my long slow runs too fast, but I feel comfortable running at this pace and awkward running too slow. Should I go comfortable or not???
    This is a long standing debate with all in the club.
    BLD
  • is this going to help me get my marathon time under 4.30 . doing speed work at 8.28 min mile fills me with dread!
  • Like others, it says I run my long runs too quickly. But I get bored if I run at over 9 m/m for long! Then my mind wanders and next thing I know I'm running more quickly again.
  • I know exactly what you mean!!!
  • lol, just put in my 1200m time I did in training last week (3:25) which wasn't quite going flat out and apparently my "easy" runs should be at 6:46 pace... My 10k race pace is only about a minute quicker than that :S.
  • Barnsley,

Trouble is at 70% MHR I know people who wouldn't be running for most of the time...
    Whereas 70% of Heart Rate Reserve is right on what they do their LSD at.

190*.7 = 133

((190-60)*.7)+60 = 151

Me:

205*.7 = 143.5 (waaaaay to slow)

((200-33)*.7)+33 = 150

Its simple everyone should train at 150 bpm :-)
  • It looks like the reason it doesn't like netscape/mozilla/firefox, is that the form uses a javascript reserved word "long" in the "input1" form. Change that to xlong and it works.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Everyone should train at 150bpm - Bl**dy Hell!!! That only leaves me with 10bpm left to crawl into my coffin
  • Just wondered if anyone knows? if you train at the paces illustrated how long using this schedule would you move to the next level? Should you reevalute after every race or once a week or month ??

As in if your easy run pace is 8.00min per mile how long after doing the suggested paces would it go to 7.50 per mile???
  • I'm in just about the same position as everyone else. I really don't think that I could ever reach the 'fast pace' suggested - in fact, I thought the whole point of entering a recent race time was that it was just that - a RACE time. If I'm not pushing myself in a race, why bother? I don't have the problem of worrying that I'm running too fast/too slow on my longer runs though. I enjoy kicking back, not worrying about my speed every now and then and just relaxing. That's why I run after all.
  • Sam P, you need to get hold of a copy of a book called Heart Monitors for Idiots, I've forgotten the authors name but it is brilliant. He explains the 65-70% long slow run principle and how to work out your own min and max rates. He also says it's normal to have to walk bits of your first few slow runs. This problem dissapears as a result of doing the speed sessions harder than you are probably used to. It worked for me, I've knocked around 4 to 5 minutes off my 5 mile and 10 times over the last year.

Off to look at that calculator now
  • Blast! it doesn't work for me either, I'll try from home later.
  • Can someone tell me what you do if you haven't done a race recently? Would it work if you put in what you want to do or will that just kill me?
  • The book you need to read is Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot by John L Parker. (£8 approx from Amazon).
    I've just started with it, 1st couple of runs are humiliating but you are soon able to run faster without going over your 70%
  • I agree Flaikie1, Heart Monitor Training for the compleat idiot is a great read. It is a bit embarassing at first doing your easy runs so slow to keep your heart rate in range, but as you get aerobically more fit, it gradually becomes so much easier to keep within your ranges. As a result all your pace times get faster but the downside is you have to work harder to get your heart rate up in tempo runs etc. I highly reccommend it, it certainly helped me.