'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Yes, there are some bitter and twisted individuals on the thread but I just put that down to jealousy.

As with most things, I rise above it.
  • As long as its not Wendy bloody Cope Helen. There's girly and there's emetic.

:-)
  • Wendy Cope. She writes daubs.

Hey, Humph3 thinks he knows you (Croydon thread)

Tee-hee!
  • If I had my life to live over, I'd try to make more mistakes next time.I would relax. I would limber up.
    I would be sillier than I have on this trip.
    I would be crazier. I would be less hygienic.
    I would take more chances, I would take more trips.
    I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets.
    I would burn more gasoline. I would eat more ice cream and less beans.
    I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones.
    You see, I am one of those people who lives prophylactically and sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day.
    Oh, I have had my moments
    And if I had it to do over again, I'd have more of them.
    In fact, I'd try to have nothing else.
    Just moments,one after another.
    Instead of living so many years ahead each day.
    I have been one of those people who never go anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, and a parachute.
    If I had to do it over again, I would go places and do things.
    I'd travel lighter than I have.
    If I had my life to live over, I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.
    I would play hooky more. I wouldn't make such good grades except by accident.
    I would ride on merry-go-rounds.

I'd pick more daisies!

(Authorship attributed to many people.)
  • Never heard of Wendy Cope - try the above.
  • Chimp - you're a mischief maker
  • This is the second time I have tried to tune into info for/from/about "mature" runners on this website. It is not worth wading through all the sillyness to try to get anything of any seriousness or use, and trying is a turn-off and really insulting. I would suggest to anyone who feels as I do to go to the USA RW website at www.runnersworld.com .....There is an excellent, warm and informative long-standing section for Masters there, and I would like to challenge any jokers to try to amuse themselves there. Sorry, but I cannot stand ageism and couldn't even when I was six. To anyone who gloats at his/her immaturity (a) is being a baby something to blast about? (b) so you think that you are not going to grow up someday per force? at least physically? Won't be coming back on here, so don't bother talking back.
  • To laugh is to risk appearing a fool.
    To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
    To reach out for another is to risk involvement.
    To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self.
    To place your ideas, your dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss.
    To love is to risk not being loved in return. To live is to risk dying.
    To hope is to risk despair.
    To try is to risk failure.
    But risks must be taken.
    Because the greatest hazard in life to risk nothing.
    The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing and is nothing
  • I hereby declare my poetry contributions over for now, going home soon to do my tax return - won't that delight the government?
  • Leave that one with me JJ

(anyone know what rhymes with rodriguez??)
  • I would like to direct those interested in this topic to the USA RW site at www.runnersworld.com, where there is an excellent, main section for "Masters". Unfortunately immature runners here have to completely clog things up and ruin it....like you won't grow up someday? At least physically?
  • I've just had a look at the above site, threads look interesting, supportive etc. Nice.

Not sure I can see much difference between what is said on the .com and what is said on the .co.uk site, it's a question of which threads you read.

Perhaps JJ would like to comment on the purpose, membership and ethos of this thread...? :-)
  • <Wee Piglet scampers up to Billow and smiles, winningly, whilst extending a trotter>

Hello, Billow :)

Would you like a piece of my HH wicking undie?

<Piglet trots off to play>

trot trot trot
    trot trot trot
    trot trot trot

Squeal!!!

• Gee, does that make me a classy broad? 'Broad' smile
  • Is broad a reference to my little piglet shape? Like cool, Man! :-)

<Piglet takes up the American dictionary again, keen to become bi-lingual asap>
  • Coo, lucky JJ lives a life of sophistication and class, designer undies, DJ, good restaurants... envy... envy...
  • Goodness we've been attacked again. A little billow the belt I feel. In answer to the good lady's question "Is being a baby something to blast about?" I've had some experience of babies and can confirm that the answer appears to be yes.

Thanks for the poetry everyone, I think I shall read through a thread I don't like and then tell them what I think (well it's better than starting my own thread and generating interest isn't it?).
  • A thought. If someone wants to discuss a particular subject in a particular way why not start their own thread? Of course, that won't stop some people from posting frivolous comments occasionally but if there is a large enough audience of interested people it will survive - see Ron Grover's thread as an example.
  • WP - sorry, that's old hat now. The kids now say 'way cool'
  • DavidB - looks as if we werer practicing synchronised typing - is that legal?
  • Did I miss something with Billow, is this person taking the p!!! or are they serious. If taking the p!!!!, thats ok anything else and I'll ignore them.

JJ I was out there and clubbing it in the late 60's, strutting my stuff in Liverpool and Chester, the fashions of today seem very old hat, been there and done that, mini skirts, monocrome (we had Mary Quant), platform shoes.
  • By the way there's a party on the unofficial forum tomorrow, Caz's place, bring some drink and nibbles.
  • WW, you've sussed it - and I made the mistake of thinking Billow was serious... Ever been had?
  • Must be an interesting match...