Taunton Marathon 2005

Well if your not in at FLM why not visit sunny Taunton, home of cider.

Comments

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I might fancy doing the half version of this one - am doing a half on 21st March which is going to be a bit hilly - the full event of this is 'undulating' - presumably the half is run on the same course....?

And does anyone know if there are medals for half-ers? That might swing it for me!
  • There were medals and T shirts last year.

The course is quite undulating with a nasty hill at around 11-12 miles.
  • I did the full last year and as previoused mentioned the course is 'undulating', don't think its PB material, i'll probably just settle for the half this year though as there were few of us running the full and it certainly got pretty lonely on the 2nd loop.

Good value race with medal and t-shirt !
  • Injured Ant, out of interest are you by any chance from Brackla Harriers, have you just done Dublin and posted on our WAC website?

If its you then hello, we met very briefly at the prom Run, hope injury isn't too bad.

If its not you then apologies.

• Spot on there Geri, i thought i recognised your pic, but wasn't 100% sure due to the missing 'fluorescent' vest ! :)

Yep, i do visit your website from time to time :)

It was in Dublin i got injured, picked up a stress fracture :(

Hopefully i'll be at another prom run when foot heals (if it ever heals) !

Are you running the Taunton half or full next year ?
  • Definately not the full!!

I can't think of anything more horrific than running that second loop with no one else in sight.

I am yet to run a marathon, I want my first experience to be with lots of support and people around to keep me going, I have entered London again and am hopeing not to recieve my 4th rejection!

Best of luck with the injury, you could probably do with a good rest after all your recent marathons!
  • yes and there is a hippo unfriendly cutoff of 4.5 hours
    No ta
  • Geri,

Think i'm about to receive my 5th rejection from FLM as no cheque has been cashed as of yet, at least i'll get in for 2006.

You should've come to Dublin, that was a well supported race, and i think RichG enjoyed himself out there :)
    Just wished i could've done all 15 marathons this year instead of just 13, will do much less next year.... honest !
    Ironically Dublin was my 13th marathon for 2004 and it turned out 'unlucky' in my case.

Hippo, the cut-off for Taunton is a downside to the race, its not the easiest of runs to do anyway, even i walked a bit towards the end !

So i take it you'll be doing the half then ?
    I think last finisher for the half was 4hrs 15 mins last year (and that was just the half) !!!

• WHAT
    get lost, why would i do a half when theres a mara
    no, Ill do it if im ever fast enuff
    till then it wont be a hippo branded race
    their loss
  • Having been rejected again for FLM, I'm thinking of this one, followed by the Dartmoor Vale Marathon in June.

Anyone else fancy DMV?
  • I hear lochabers a nice mara
  • ...but not that close to Devon?
  • Or the Midlands

but im going anyway
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I fancy DMV 90 mins for a non serious attempt. What is the course?

I thought Taunton was in late March? If it is then I'll do the half at marathon pace for FLM, if not then I'll come along to support a friend who might be doing the full.

Ant-13 marathons in a year is an awful lot! Sorry to hear you've got a stress fracture. They aren't nice at all!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hippo - lots of finishers after the 4.30 time. I run this race every year (only done sub 5 once)
  • hilly

DMV course is pretty flat, despite the name (Dartmoor Vale Marathon!) Largely follows a sort of enlarged Teignbridge 10 course, 2 laps.

Last year they also offered a half & a 10K at the same event. I entered on the day and did the 10K as it was very hot & sunny, would have done the half if it had been cooler (potential pb course).

Next year if I do Taunton my aim would be to recover, get a 20 miler in and then sharpen in time for DMV.

Taunton is normally the Sunday before London; lots of people do the half at MP as FLM training. Perhaps you could pace me for a lap?

• Ran the Taunton half last year - a nice course a bit town/ bit country. It is undulating and more of a challenge than the flattish DMV - which had a slight gradula climb out and a slightly dipping route back. Saying that had a good time at Taunton and bombed at DMV - very hot. Will run Taunton again, maybe the marathon

Bad luck injured Ant - you will Fly again -as I approach my 12th race of the year on Saturday and the 13th and final race of the year, the Cornsih Marathon, a week after - so bound to get injured there - Be prepared!
  • Mrs Pants has a long standing ambition to do this one (the race went past her house as a child). Looks like she didn't get into FLM, so it's a possibility, but she won't commit until much nearer the time...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I ran Sturminster Newton Half cos the route went past the farm where I lived until I was 6. I recognised the house too. The following year I went to the race again and they'd changed the flippin' route, so Mrs Pants better do Taunton in 2005 - just in case.
    Taunton is a good half marathon, not such a good marathon.
  • I will see you there SHADES. My intention is to return to my usual sub 4 level, unlike Dublin.
  • Hi everyone
    I'm glad this thread is up and running because I'm going to target Taunton as my marathon (didn't get into London).
    What time is everyone hoping for?
    I was thinking of a sub 3.30 but I'm now thinking that the course may be a bit too much on the 'undulating' side to hope for a good time.

Glad you're on this thread 90 mins, we could end up running this one together!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If it's a week before London 90 mins I won't be running it. I'll come and support though to see YL go sub 3:30 and she will!:o)
  • Hilly, have you entered Monty? If not do so tonight!!!!

• that's a bit personal innit YL?

;)

there are two weeks between Taunton and FLM next year Hilly . .
  • LOL Rich.
    Just read what I've put!!!!!!!!!

• well it could have been worse!!!
  • Rich,

will you be there c/w digital camera again next year ?

2 weeks between marathons is plenty of time :)

YL
    Be prepared for a lonely-ish 2nd lap, i think i saw about 6 people covering miles 13 - 26 this year, i used this race as a training run (like all my other races), 3:30 is not impossible on this course, as long as you've got good mental strength to push yourself towards the end you'll be ok.

Next year i'll settle for the half though, (still get a medal + t-shirt for the half as well as the full i think) ?
  • I must admit that I am having doubts about this marathon. The other option that I have is Bungay, which may be just as lonely over the secong half but at least I have done it before and know what to expect.

• If i dont get into Flm then its a toss up between this one and the Isle of Wight.