Most exotic food you've ever eaten?

I've eaten that lovely Welsh specialty, laver bread, not once but twice.

Also had goat - which I helped to skin and butcher with tools made entirely from stones. Quite tasty I recall.

Kaymak - a strage Yugoslavian spread that is somewhere inbetween butter and cheese. It's yummy on toast.

Comments

• Ham, egg (properly cooked with no sign of foetal chicks) and chips!
  • Seafood pasta at Joe's Garage, melbourne, with terrific chardonay followed by beers anda walk home past the MCG. Perfect.
  • Anyone tried Durians? A delicacy to many but not to me. When in Malaysia on my hols I loved having Nasi Goreng for breakfast.
  • Tea.

I trained for general practice in an area where the local population was more Sikh than sick. I know it's rude to generalise, but Sikhs tend to be very generous and hospitable people and always offered refreshments when I did house calls to them.

The first time I was offered tea, I accepted (though not a tea-drinker), took a sip from the cup, and almost spat it straight back out. Punjabi tea, it appears, involves putting tea leaves, full-cream milk (plus a bit of condensed milk, no doubt), sugar and cardamom into a pan on rising in the morning, and letting it simmer away all day, dipping into it as required.

But I drank it, which was less difficult than eating the puri that came as a snack with it.
  • Squid , oh and a rahter nice cream of mushroom soup with brandy in it when i was about 14 in Plymouth . V sophisticated
  • Toast.

White, brown, wholemeal, granary, kibbled - you name it.
  • No wonder you didn't like it
  • does a kinda stew made from various sheeps 'Glands' count, or wasps larve on garlic bread ???
  • Octopus, when I lived in Spain. Yum. Saw sheeps' testicles on menus out there but was not tempted to try - call me unadventurous.....
  • I used to like Lamb but got a bit sick of the sight of it when I lived in the Hebrides and thats all that seemed to be on the mess menu !!

Where is lamb by the way ? Getting sheared ?
  • They really weren't very nice, the taste of offal and the texture of tinned meatballs !
    Sweat glands were like rubber !

have also had worm truffles & worm Sushi
  • I was sipping a cup of Chai whilst reading all these food posts actually. I think the major spice is cardamom. The Twinings version is very nice but the best I've found so far is Clipper. Liptons do a version, but it's v. poor in comparison. I take mine black with no sugar, which is not really the proper way of doing it.

Most exotic food? can't remember but it probably had something to do with rancid Yak butter.
  • I was sipping a cup of Chai whilst reading all these food posts actually. I think the major spice is cardamom. The Twinings version is very nice but the best I've found so far is Clipper. Liptons do a version, but it's v. poor in comparison. I take mine black with no sugar, which is not really the proper way of doing it.

• Nasi goreng is fab Scotty - I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do kangaroo, buffalo and ostrich count as exotic? Also had some kind of kebab off a street stall in Malaysia which was kind of chewy - don't really know what it was...
  • Oh yes, I once tried a calamari salad - the calamari looked like pasta rings, and I was wondering the entire time why it tasted so fishy. Then a friend enlightened me.
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    What's exotic about squid? Even Asda sell it.

I've had some kind of stew made from a sheeps stomach near the Caucus mountains. Goat curry at the Notting Hill carnival. Oh, and salo, which is a Russian/Ukranian thing, raw salted pork fat, often with garlic. Sturgeon. Loads of caviar.
  • Whilst in Africa a few years back had snake,monkey and , ashamed to admit elephant.However the latter was the best steak I've ever had.
    Last year in Milan had donkey stew & kangaroo and ostrich in Sydney.

• BRAINS, BRAINS, BRAINS -

first, out in dubai - nice gift from a grateful shwarma shop proprietor when i worked for pepsi in the region

then... at the Budapest half marathon a couple of weeks ago we were at a trad. hungarian restaurant and working our way through the menu. what't this??

explanation in hungarian from the waitress...."it's stuffed with "VELEU" ... my hungarian didn't let me down......

"but that's BRAINS" sayeth i. "igen (yes)" replies the fair maiden.

erm.....tomato soup please.

we also saw some fantastic chicken feet soup: like consomme, but you crunch your way through the chickens' feet and clean your teeth with the claws (seriously)

WHO'S UP FOR THE BUDAPEST HALF NEXT YEAR?
  • Whilst living in Greece I sampled a few delights.

One Greek Easter we were invited to a traditional day at a Greek families house. The whole pascal goat was on the BBQ & the head was cut off, the skull sliced open & then offered around with a tea spoon to scoop out the contents. Being guests my girlfriend & I had first dips!

Another delicacy I was forced to endure for the sake of good AngloGreek relations was fried sheeps balls.

I've just had a nasty thought. Maybe they were winding us up.
  • Glenn, I've sampled goat curry at the Notting Hill Carnival too. You can get jerk chicken there as well, which is fab. And, when in France, I've had escargots a la bourguignonne (snails in garlic butter) which are fantastic.

Most exotic though? The scotch pies at Celtic park - there's nothing like them (honest).
  • On a business trip to Japan I was given jelly fish, pickled in vinegar or something similar - it was one of those cases where you don't dare ask what it is until you've managed to swallow it. The things we do to keep customers happy!

I also managed to order pigs testicles once - didn't understand the menu - didn't eat them either!
  • cat stew in Valencia in 1972 - I was poor, it was cheap!!
  • Lumpy pink blancmange scooped from a wetsuit recently vacated by Sandra Bullock.

Well, you wanted exotic!
  • God you lot are so exotic is there knowhere you havent lived of been.............
  • fried pigs ears
    grilled sheeps testicles (only once, didn't know what it was, still find it very difficult to convince my father in law that I do not want to eat them again)
    cows stomach
    ostrich
    alligator
    cactus
    and all this just to be a polite guest