Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Hmm.According to the back of the new cataogue, they have finally got around to creating a website.However, on further inspection, its not up and running yet...

How very anomalous in this day and age for such a big enterprise not to have a website.
  • **UPDATE**

Morning.Just checked to see whats going on at swimshop, and it seems they are indeed in the process of sticking a site together.

Be very very excited!

Swimshop's new website should be up and running soon, I hope!

They have soooo much good stuff!
  • What's happened to the other carp swimmers? Quimby, Smitch, Gavo etc??

I'm going to have another go tomorrow :o)
  • Maybe they got better!

:)

Or maybe they were so cr@p they drowned!

:(
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Have been too busy this week but will attempt another splash or 2 this week.

Will look at that site later - cheers dd
  • Dan Dan,

Just thought I'd update you as to my progress from my swimming lessons, being as this thread seems to be a bit on the quiet side recently.

I'm now able to swim a max. of 15 lengths (20 metre), not non-stop though. I alternate between breaststroke, backstroke & frontcrawl. However, I'm still finding that I seem to run out of energy after 1 or 2 lengths. I guess that's due to the inefficency of my stroke actions though.

I've recently had to have a 1 week lay off because of an ear infection, and amazingly I found that I really missed the swimming!

Astounding really, when you consider that until 8 months ago, even the thought of getting into a pool terrified me!!

By the end of the year I hope to have enough confidence & courage to venture into a deeper pool & begin to learn how to tread water.

I shall, via this thread, keep you posted on my progress with this, as all your advice to me thus far has been very helpful, & for that I thank you very much.

TTT.
  • Have lapsed, swimming-wise. It's a lot more difficult to force myself out for a swim at lunchtime when it's all cold out there and all warm in here. :-(
  • Know the feeling - I decided to stay in the warm yesterday!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning! i am still a cr@p swimmer! Did 32 lengths friday though, it took about 25-30 mins (didn't time it) closer to 25 I think.
    Today I did 20 lengths and struggled to breathe, don't quite know why but think I am anaemic and feel really wishy washy so maybe thats why.

Anyway, I now swim with goggles and cap and head goes under on every other stroke, still doing breastroke though. I am getting better but not tried front crawl yet!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • anyone suggest where i can find about swim times ?
    just wondering what is a reasonable time for distances for a fitness swimmer ..i know my 15 min mile plodding is slow but wonder how 1200m in around 20-25 mins compares ?
  • Feck me! get off this thread...I'd need to be behind a speedboat to do that time.

Seriously though, that's a pretty good time. why not look at the race results in 220.....
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Take off the last zero Buney and that's about level with my time on a good day.
  • Ruddy heck Buney!!

I think 1500m in 20 mins is pretty good, and you're not that far off that
  • I haven't drowned! But that's coz I haven't been for a swim for a while ... (ahem).

32 lengths does not sound like a cr@p swimmer to me Wabo, I'd be well chuffed with that!

I do have some goggles now, so I can bear to put my head in the water, that's a start I suppose ... It's the breathing that gets me!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    It's overrated Tiger. I wouldn't bother if I were you.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Ta tiger bit trust me this is the place for me! Buney on the other hand????? she does twice the distance as me in same time!
    I did 20 lengths monday morning and really struggled. Couldn't breathe and was so tired, goggles misted up! No tiger beeeeeeeelieve me I am cr@p!!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • ..its only a 15 m pool tho and i do it in sets of 300m (20 lengths) and i suspect that makes it much easier ...id probably drown in 25 m pool !!
    but ta for the encouragement ..hoping it might help me get fit enough to start running better again in the spring
  • i struggle plodding 5k in less than 45mins now tho!

elephant on land ..seal in the water ...knew all that body fat was good for something
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Did another 600m tonight. Think I was helped by going behind some slower swimmers as it didn't tire me out as other sessions have. Technique still crap but pace not too bad (or maybe everyone there tonight was a swimming plodder) & leg injuries didn't hurt.

Not brave enough to attempt the crawl yet.
  • i find crawl easiest .im much slower at breaststroke and tire quickly ..although i do a few lengths to alternate ..but its not so good if youve got any knee or lower back problems
  • i find crawl easiest .im much slower at breaststroke and tire quickly ..although i do a few lengths to alternate ..but its not so good if youve got any knee or lower back problems
  • Oo, a carp swimming thread thats just what I need.

Running injury has forced me to splash in the local pool. I'm up to 4 length warm-up, 16 lenghts crawl (with 10 secs breather every 2 lengths), 4 lengths cool-down.

These are measly 30 metre lengths too.

Is that carp or what?

• nope thtas great!

30m lengths are fine ..pools tend to be 25m (unless you are lucky enough to have a 50m locally)so dont knock it
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Gary - that's more advanced than most on here, including myself. So, no, not carp. Or crap or any other type of fish.
  • Hi everyone,

I was dead brave yesterday and ventured into a 33m pool, and it was really deep too!
    Managed 4 lenghts of breast warm up and then 18 lengths alternating breast and crawl so pretty chuffed although did have to stop for a breather at the end of every crawl lenght.

Having problems getting my position in the water right, think my head is too deep and hence having problems breathing..... more practice needed!
  • How are the lessons going, Lindi?
  • Lessons are going well - I'm moving up to the next class after christmas.

Also thinking I might get some lessons at La Santa in January to see if I can really get the technique cracked.

How are yours?

• Nice one Lindi....I picked up a breathing tip on a Triathlon training day (XFR was there also)...anyway the tip is to breathe out underwater like you are whistling, so that you are blowing the air out gradually as you go along, rather than trying to snort it out in one big go.

This has made a huge difference to me as before I was trying to both breathe out and in when my head was out of the water.

Consequently it cured me of the massive 'head out of water gasping for breath' routine....which means I was more relaxed, technique improved etc etc etc.

I'm now trying to master bi-lateral breathing