Increasing frequency of running

At present I only run every other day at most as it seems so difficult if I go out every day, although I would like to run 5 times a week.

Do you think I can get through this barrier, or should I just listen to my body and have alternate days off.

Comments

• I would stick to alternate days for a while
    You could always swim on the other days
    Later on, when your body is more use o things, up to 4 times a weekm then 5

But ALWAYS listen to your body
  • I agree with Benz - it's something you have to work up to. Ultimately your body will tell you, and if you tyry to fight it you may get injured.

This is my third build up to a marathon and it gets easier (although never easy!!)

I hope you're following your own advice Benz :-)
  • You can run a good marathon on 4 days training a week so there's no need to rush for 5 days. Slowly increase the length of a weekend run until you are up to a couple of hours fairly easily and build up one other run (mid-week) into a real hard speed session. Treat the other two runs as steady general purpose training.
    When you are accomplishing all this fairly easily you could consider moving up to 5 sessions.
    JJ
  • I'm a newbee too, but must agree with JJ's advice. I started late (1st week of Jan) and have increased weekend long run by 2 miles per week. Mid week speed session has helped, as has hill running.

Does anyone have any advice for old folks with dodgy knees? Mine seem to suffer above any other body parts.

Cheers
  • Yes, Sweder. Listen to your body, and review your own training schedule as if it were someone else's.

My old dodgy legs have let me down 'cos I didn't realise I was overdoing it, so haven't been able to run for 2 weeks, and now 'seriously' fed-up with it. Do as I say, not as I did.
  • Thanks Helen. Sorry to hear you're suffering too. Essing off is tough when you start so late, but as a charity runner I just need to get round. I'll take your advice and good luck with your recovery.
  • Hi All

I am running the Edinburgh marathon in June. When should i start to train serioulsy or follow one of the training plans. I currently run 4 times a week. 3 out of the 4 runs are about 5-6 miles and my long run is at 11-12 miles. I don't won't to peak to some or over train. Any ideas welcome.

Ta

Kevin
  • Hi Sweder.
    When I started a few years ago I had very dodgy knees and foot problems. I built up very slowly and as everything strengthened up the aches and pains steadily, but fairly rapidly, went away. The secret is to make haste slowly and ensure taht you get plenty of recovery time.
    JJ
  • Thanks Johnny. Sounds like as with many things in life, patience is a virtue. I'll ease up a little this week and see how it goes.

Sweder
  • Hi, i am a pretty novice long distance runner, i am pretty fit and can run a 10k every other day with out too much hassle. I want to train for the comrades marathon in SA next year, it is a 70km+ ultra marathon, i was wondering wether anyone could help me in finding a good running club to join in SW London area that would give me great advice, a training schedule and maybe a training buddy??
  • hi
    Funny place to post tis question
    try posting on the ultra thread at the bottom, start your own thread
    youll soon have plenty of advice
    When are you planning on your first marathon
  • Hi, just joined as member and very glad this post is relatively current. Have been running for about 18 months and go twice a week, one 3 miler and one 6, both off-road. However, I find that if I try and do two 3's a week plus the 6 I'm no use for anything else.

I also walk about 5 miles a day, to and from work and with the dog morning and night. I'm introducing the dog to running too though only 3 miles as she's quite young.

I want to run more often so any suggestions as to how I can deal with that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ben
  • On your third run, go very very slowly, almost walk, which shouldn't be too much of a problem if your dog is small. Treat it as a recovery run, running slowly helps your legs to get rid of all the lactic acid and aches and pains that could be left over from your longer run.