A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• From all I've read sweep most people agree that you have to rest till the soreness goes down or else you're just going to make it worse...but I can fully sympathise with the frustration!

Also, from what I have read, the strap is a great help but not a complete solution. Stretching and icing are also important.

Lie down and eat doughnuts for a couple of weeks - call it carbo loading...
  • thanks one-go, i have just ordered my pattstrapp so that is on its way(done it about 20 secs ago,)

its not sore now but only after a couple of miles of running it starts,feels fine now,

like your attitude to carbo loading, any way
    a
    i am really worried that this is going to effect my marathon peformance,

i have been training since august for it so you can imagine,how frustrating it is,
    i done last years marathon in 5-33 so you can see how hard i have had to work to get under 3.45- 3-50 ,(doesnt your heart bleed for me)

sweep must take action,

pattstrapp ordered

massage booked for friday

ice on the go- stretching in progress,

watch out radcliffe sweeps right behind you!
  • Incidentally Patt Strap takes circa 7-10 days, mine arrived two weeks ago.
  • Hi Sweep

I know how you feel, my knee was buggered for the best part of last year & I really got frustrated at first, but then I made a concious decision to use the time more productively in other ways (did a lot of reading & learning)

The way I would try to look at it is this, you may not hit your target this year but if you don't rest it properly, you may not hit next year too.

Try & sit back, chill out & drink beer, its better for the carbo loading than donuts anyday ;-)

atb

Nick
  • My ITBS cleared up before the strap arrived - I think it came about because my running shoes had worn down one side too much!
  • Beer and Donuts. Lol One-go and Nick.M. All these years I've been lying in bed hungover after drinking beer and I should have been out running Yassos. Damn and I've wasted all this time making pasta! Stuff donuts though, gimme pizza!

I'm pretty banged up at the mo too sweep. Lots of little things and ITBS. Still not quite fully recovered from 9 miles on monday. I'd say rest up a while but would find the advice hard to take in your situation. So listen to the others, never me.

Just got my pattstrap. Have actually worn it all day. Only ran 3 easy miles in it yesterday so too early to tell if its effective. Speed tomorrow, will report back then.

Have decided to buy myself some new shoes. What works for all you guys? I have some Asics DS-Trainers which I dare not use as I now know I overpronate. Also Have Asics GT-2090 which can't get on with and Adidas Supernova Controls which are fine. So I only really have one pair of shoes I use. I have been tempted by Nike Air Perseus and Mizuno Wave Mavericks as they offer some stability but are quite light.

lata
    Euph
  • Sweep, nearly seven months, but it was pretty knackered, funnily enough I was doing yasso 800's on a track when it went pop & thats why I have a very healthy aversion to speedwork.

Nick
  • 7 months, am suprised you could bring yourself back to running afer that long, was that your I.T. bands

one-go how long did you have problems with your I.T.bands

let me explain my progress for those interested

3 weeks ago

slight twinge
    then seemed to go away

2 weeks ago
    headed out for 12 miler after 6 miles decided to stop, due to uncomfaable feeling
    then rested for a week
    with stretching and ice treatment

last sunday
    came back went out, after 4 miles started to feel it a bit then stopped straight away,
    but started to feel little pangs, when i started to walk back

nearly a week on i don not feel any pain or pangs, been stretching and iceing and got sports massage on fri, do you guys know any idea when i could think about getting out there again

one-go i am intersested to hear how long you were out,i belive i have a prob but i do not think it is major

thanks for all you advice guys,
    if you want any advice on barbering techniqes, am you man
  • oh and are any of you guys doing one of he flora halfs

either in

liverpool

or

silverstone

i think i will do the liverpool one as the start is about 5 mins from my place,
  • My ITBS pain started on a long run - a week before Xmas I felt soreness in my right knee so cut the run short.

A few days later I ran again and got slight pain.

Then I ran a long run, felt nothing but when I stopped it felt v sore.

Got a tip as to what it might be from Colin D on this thread and researched it like mad on the internet.

Got a Patt Strap, new trainers, iced and stretched. Also booked a physio appointment but, after resting a couple of days, never felt it again!

I reckon it was down to the fact I was running in old shoes (the outside of the heel on both sides wears out quite quickly) - I am also v much a one-sided runner (if such a thing exists!) as I tend to suffer nipple rub only on my left hand side!

No halfs for me except, probably, Fleet in March...
  • One Go - About Yasso's you said you can't cheat a moving belt well you can sort of if you take big high stridey steps as the belt moves under you faster than you can normally run. Whereas you definitely can't cheat a running track for doing Yasso's. I work onyl a few minutes from one so I can' do my Yasso's on the track. I don't really think Yasso's correspond too well to marathon pace for me as I can do 10 sets of 800 in 3:30 yet there's no chance I could do a 3:30 marathon.

Detox - I wear New Balance or Saucony shoes as I've got on well with them. I've had 5 pairs of NB 764's in a row and I bought a pair of new 765's at Xmas. I always keep two pairs of running shoes on the go and swap between runs. I keep a spreadsheet on my shoe mileage and I always change shoes after 300-400 miles. If I get a niggle it's often a sign my shoes are too worn.

I did a fast session last night with 7 miles in 54 minutes. Today was a rest day to allow my body some recovery then it's easy 4-5 miles tomorrow and 12 miler on Friday.

Take it easy Sweep, sorry about your woes.

PPB.
  • thanks, one-side

aarrrr one side it makes sense now

my girlfreind got me new trainers, for christmas it only occured to me before that i could have something to do with them, going to stop wearing them my other ones are only 3 months old so am going back to them,

its worth a try,

thanks for the feed back guys ,ist really appreciated
  • i have just read your profile.you say you only want to run the marathon once, and i can imagine you will tick it off the list of things i do before i die list, i said that, last year a year on here i am rying to knock 1,45 of my pb,

i bet you now it wont be one-go, one-go

i was a over weight smoker last year never run over a mile in my life,

i am now a overweight non-smoker who has ran enough miles to last me a life time

i well and truly have been bitten by the running bug, and i bet you do too.
  • I guess you're right about the cheating thing PPB, I think I might get a few odd looks if I do the big stridey thing (and probably fall off)...
  • One-go.. I've thought for along time I'm a one sided runner. I remember clearly when I finished my first half marathon last March (in some considerable pain), feeling distinctly lop sided for the last 3 or 4 miles. I thought at first I'd made the fatal mistake of running down the same side of the road all the way round, but there was definitely more too it than that. I had a sharp pain in the outside of my right knee, and what I can only describe as a buzzing sensation down the outside of my left thigh and lower back. As the months have progressed I find the sensation only comes about in the last few miles of my long runs and, touch wood, it's definitely on the way out now.

My shoes also wear out a bit more on the inside right foot. I think concentrating on form and just generally getting stronger has helped me out. Did wonder at one point if I had one leg longer than the other! Even now on a long run, I feel myself stretching out the left leg with a few extra long strides every now and again feels like it's doing some good.

No trouble with the nipples though ;)

Euph.. Saucony Grid Omni 4's for me, with additional sorbothane insoles!

Sweep.. apologies, but as for barbering techniques, I lost the requirement for that area of grooming some years back.

• This one-sided conversation (not literally) interests me too. I've thought for a long time that my left leg was stronger than my right. Seems odd being that I'm right handed and footed (for footballing purposes, etc). I always seem to lead with my left for changing pace and I would bet my stride is longer with that leg as its more flexible. Also notice if I look down when running that I tuck my foot under body further with left leg as if its bearing more weight. However, this could be me physchosymatically altering my stride to avoid placing excess weight on injury prone right leg though.

Its as if my left is my power foot, and my right is precision.

Did speed session today, pushed for time though so only did two of three planned 1.5m intervals, 10:50 and 11:02, tiring but don't feel too bad right now. First run of any distance in pattstrap.

PPB - I went quite a long way passed 500 miles in my last pair of trainers, and didn't really share the workload with other trainers much. Didn't get rid till after last years GNR when the outsides of my feet became quite bruised and sore. They're only good for gardening now - and I don't garden. I think I've learnt that lesson.

Resisted urge to buy new shoes in the end. I'm going to wait till after my 10 mile race on the 30th and call it my prize.

lata
    Euph
  • 9.5 slow miles, never felt less like going out after a hard day's work!

Hope these wretched miles pay off come April 17th!
  • had a nightmare week at work, PA's off sick for two weeks and have had shedload of new business. I know it's make hay while the sun shines but have not got out for a run since last sat and not posted for a couple of days so have missed some interesting postings.

When I first started running nearly 8 years ago got bad pains on the shins and uneven aches and pains on knees and legs. after one duff physio who only wanted to plug his latest in-soles, found a really good place. After watching me run they told me my problem was because one side was stronger than the other plus although i did some stretches i was missing out some, especially under the sole of my feet funny enough. Anyway after a month or so of exercises and stretches (plus a lot more off road) i was fine and have never suffered from any injuries since (touch wood)

Can't run until monday as off to visit family down south tomorrow so will have to endure more withdrawal symptoms. Apart from 2 skiing holidays this will be the longest i have not run for about 7 years.

ah well have a good weekend everyone , good running and no injuries, chat to you next week.

cheers

pete
  • bought my self a gps watch tonight for 50 pound yes 50 pound, took your guys advive and never went out tonight leaving it till sunday
  • This running lark always amazes me how you can feel so strong one day and crap the next. After the relatively comfortable Dartford 10 last Sunday, I thought this mornings "4.0 Steady" would be a breeze. I suppose you could say it was a stiff breeze. I averaged 9:05, but it felt more uncomfortable than any of the 10 miles I ran last Sunday (bar the last quarter mile possibly!). Before I set off on this marathon schedule, I never ran more than two days without a day off inbetween. This Tue/Wed/Thurs sequence is tough going.
  • I couldn't agree more - I did a 9.5 mile tempo run on Wednesday, at attempted marathon pace and only just managed it.

I couldn't have done 16.7 more miles like that for sure - but then again I had had a very hard run the day before! Thank god for tapering, but as you say tg, the midweek sequence is v tough (almost matched by the tough weekend sequence!).

Going to enjoy my day off today!
  • Suffering in sympathy with you lot. I could have run forever last weekend. This weekend when I have the Four Villages Half, my legs ache just climbing the stairs. Here's hoping a couple of days rest will restore me.
  • Sweep, where did you get the watch? Is it the Reebok 50 Lap one? I'm planning 12 miles tonight at marathon pace which is 8:30 per mile for those that have forgotten.
  • Hi Everyone

It's been a bit of a bad week for me, with some sad news as far as my running is concerned.

I first felt a pain in my right quad last Thursday after a track session, so rested Friday. Went for a flat 5 miler on Saturday, the leg wasn't really painful, but on Sunday I could only manage to hobble and limp around. I managed to get an appointemnt with my physio on Monday evening, who poked, prodded, stretched and strained the quad, but there was nothing wrong with it. After quite a few more tests (including ultra-sound), she decided that it was looking more and more likely to be a stress fracture of the femur.

The following day I went to my doctor (with a letter of referal from physio), who agreed that it needed to be examined and sent me for an x-ray straight away. I won't have the results until next Thursday and if nothing shows, then I will be referred for a bone scan, which will hopefully identify the sight of the injury. I have come around to thinking that it is likely to be a stress fracture, as it fits the bill from what I have read up on and also everything else has now been eliminated. I have never had pain like this with muscular/tendon injuries and it feel very different.

So where does that leave me? Well, walking causes some mild discomfort and more than 5 or 6 steps running is impossible. It means I can only swim and cycle for 8 weeks, then depending where the fracture is and how bad, dictates how soon I can come back to running, but hopefully not much longer than this. If it is the neck of the femur, it could require an operation, but this is only if it is a bit more severe, however, the scan or x-ray will reveal more.

Race wise, it has taken me out of the London Marathon, the rest of the XC season for my club and also all the other Half Marathons and races I'd entered as training events for FLM. In essence, I will not be running again until late March (all being well), so as you can see, there is no way I could train for a marathon in April and I have to be realistic.

After being very depressed, upset and thinking the world is going to end, I now realise it is not. I am cycling 4 days a week and swimming 2 days (thankfully I am a fairly strong swimmer, so will get some good cardio-vascular exercise from this). By the time I recover fully and get back to where I am now, we will be going into the Track & Field season at the beginning of May, so I have my sights set on that for my come-back and will be very determined.

I hope I haven't dampened anyone's spirits, but I will be on the side lines at FLM cheering on all my fellow club runners and you lot of course! I will still be on the thread too to let you know how my recovery is going. I am much more positive now and WILL be back to full fitness, hopefully ahead of schedule.

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Sorry to hear your bad news sarah and best of luck with the recovery. At least now you know you can't run for a while you can re-focus and come back stronger when you start again. Just noticed your combination of sports, do you do triathlon? At least with your cycling you scan still follow same routes you run so you don't miss out on the thrill of the open road.

Euph
  • Sounds nasty Sarah, hope all goes well for you. As Euph mentioned, you should come out the other end a wicked triathlete!