A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Sorry to hear your news Sarah. It will be nice to still have you on the thread though so keep us up to date with how things are going. Take care of yourself.

This thread is turning into the sub-3:45 injury support group. In truth it almost always has been as I was chatting about injuries from very early on last year.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

PPB.
  • Are any of you planning on a skiing in the next month or two? I'm in a real dilemma. Some years back I was lucky enough to spend a whole season in the French Alps, I vowed I'd ski every year from that point on. Then life took over. Last year was the first time I'd skied in nearly 14 years.

Now I'm even more determined to keep it up. Problem is it will play havoc with my training plan (not too mention the risk of injury, but then again I'm trying to steer away from that topic ;)

I need to go on a budget, so I can pretty much rule out hotel treadmills. That leaves either no running at all, or early morning jaunts on potentially icy streets. I suppose the quads will get a good workout from the skiing!

Any suggesions?!
  • [Don't you just wish this submit form had a spellchecker!]
  • Hi everyone.

Sorry to hear your news Sarah, I know how you feel, its nice to see someone being so very positive, I normally go all insular,sulk & chuck all of my dollies out of my pram when I can't train.

Keep in touch, its still good to have you here.

I have had to re-design my training program. I can't face spedwork on a tuesday morning at 5.30am it's just too unpleasant, so with a bit of jiggery pokery here is the new Nick M. Schedule.

Monday- Rest
    Tuesday- early morning jog with a couple of brisk miles inbetween.
    Wednesday- midweek medium slow run as per schedule
    Thursday- Rest
    Friday- Speedwork in early evening
    Saturday- easy recovery run
    Sunday- Long run.

What do you all think,? please let me know.

I haven't got to do speedwork this week as I aready did it on Tuesday, so its a brisk one tonight, easy tomorrow & ten miles on sunday.

Have a good one everyone.

Laterz

Nick
  • Sarah - commiserations and good luck.

Tallguy - I too am an avid skier but due to young family have not been for several years. If I was in your shoes I would just go and enjoy it. Forget about running while you're there.

My xmas / new year virus has come back so I am having to skip some of the mid week sessions at the moment. I went to Boots yesterday and pretty much emptied the shelves of vit C, zinc tablets etc in a bid to boost my immune system. Never had this much winter illness before. I reckon it's due to my increased use of London buses as a result of having to conserve energy for running instead of commuting by cycling.

Have a good weekend's training.
  • Looks fine Nick, you'll know as much as me but your not banging hard sessions together and getting 2 days rest which is probably about right for runners of our standard. I rearranged my schedule due to my odd hours and also for the fact that I can't face long slow runs when hungover and lethargic on a sunday. Most people seem to get a kick out of running on a sunday, not me.

StephenV, I'm a permanent health shop junky. At the very least each day take vit C, cod liver oil capsules and now glucosamine. Don't really no if it benefits me or not.

Off for slooowwww run now.

Spellchequers aer four WIPMS!!

Look I didn't mention the word injury..DOH!
    lata
    Euph
  • Skiing in 3 weeks time and simply hoping to avoid injury. I've taken my running shoes on ski trips before, but they only end up having a week abroad before coming home unused. As StephenV says Tallguy, go and enjoy yourself. It's not as though it's an idle week on a beach after all.

Nick M: I think your schedule looks very practical. I used to run at 6 in the morning, but never managed a quality session; it was always a 45 minute jog and nothing more.

Sarah take care of yourself and take the time to get better before you return to impact training.
  • This running lark always amazes me how you can feel so strong one day and crap the next. After the relatively comfortable Dartford 10 last Sunday, I thought this mornings "4.0 Steady" would be a breeze. I suppose you could say it was a stiff breeze. I averaged 9:05, but it felt more uncomfortable than any of the 10 miles I ran last Sunday (bar the last quarter mile possibly!). Before I set off on this marathon schedule, I never ran more than two days without a day off inbetween. This Tue/Wed/Thurs sequence is tough going.
  • It's alright, you are not going mad, that was the post I sent last night. Home PC having a funny few minutes!!!
  • I thought I was having Deja Vu for a second.
  • I thought I was having deja-vu for a second...
  • bought it in traffoed centre,manchester, in a shop called musthaveit.com
  • sports massage to night wish me luck
  • Really sorry to hear your news Sarah, hope you get back on track soon...
  • had my massage pure agony, it wasent fully affective as i was wiggiling to much, but she thinks i will be ok now hopefully, that would be nice, just have o wait and see,
  • I completed 12.5 Miles last night in 1 Hour 46. It was a tricky run as my mate as it was windy, the route was hilly and we had rain, sleet and snow during the run. So to say we were pleased to finish would be a massive understatement.

Sweep - If it isn't hurting then it isn't working.
  • Sweep- No pain No gain, hope its better

Went out for a run last night, meant to do 1 mile jog, then 2 mile brisk & back to Jog, ended running a fartlek, kept upping the pace(especially when there were pretty women about) and I really enjoyed it.

4 mile easy today, don't know when though

Nick
  • Just back from 14 miles in 2 hours 10. Lovely crisp morning. Took the nearby 'pan flat' Forest Way out & back for the whole route. Achieved two milestones with todays run 1) this is the furthest I've ever run 2) had my first blister!

Almost squeezed in another mile as, whilst running, I felt pretty comfortable. Then decided to be sensible and stick to my original plans. Once I'd stopped, I realised how knackered I actually was - those endorphins have a lot to answer for!

• Nice one tallguy...I've fallen victim to those endorphins in the past and overrun, always a bad thing!
  • Good running all

I have decided to postpone todays planned tempo run indefinately. In favour of going to birmingham for a mad night on the town. I'm so weak willed - Drunken-Euphoria has returned, detox on hold.

I'm not going to try and make up the miles though, that way overtraining and injuries lie.

lata
    Euph
  • So One-go, have you worked out what your next challenge is going to be?!
  • Taking my life in my hands here and trying to post a bit of fancy formatting (hopefully I won't suffer the same fate as Euph), but thought some of you might find this interesting.

On Jan 3rd I ran the same route that I ran today, only turned back at 5 miles rather than 7. As I mentioned earlier, this route is pretty much pan flat. So the difference in distance shouldn't have too much impact.

Looking back at the laps/splits and HR stuff from the last run, it seems that the long slow strategy is starting to pay off. Here's a mile by mile account of todays run and the last run (in brackets). Almost mile for mile the pace is up and the HR is down.

On Jan 3rd my aim was to keep my HR below 165 for as much as possible. Today I had a similar goal, but at 160 instead.

I can explain the big differences at mile 8 and mile 10. At mile 10 I stopped briefly to tie a shoelace and empty my drink bottle (but for no more than about a minute), at mile 8 I succumbed to a quick nose round the local bike shop, so I did get a bit of a breather there for about 4 minutes! That being said, I definitely had a couple of brief stops on the Jan 3rd run.

Mile Lap Avg HR
    01 09:54(10:20) 143(149)
    02 09:52(09:41) 150(162)
    03 09:45(09:49) 155(166)
    04 09:49(10:12) 158(163)
    05 09:40(10:07) 158(161)
    06 09:40(09:37) 159(161)
    07 09:15(09:41) 164(166)
    08 09:46(10:06) 152(167)
    09 08:58(08:30) 163(179)
    10 09:16(10:17) 158(177)
    11 09:02 164
    12 09:03 167
    13 08:55 170
    14 09:13 173
  • back running monday so wish me luck guys
  • Sorry to hear of your injury news Sarah.

I've lost a week - apart from a couple of sessions in the gym - because of a cold.

Back running tomorrow, but I'll resist the planned 13 and re-satrt the programme next week.

Interested to hear the skiing comments. I took my running shoes the last two February skiing holidays while I was training for the London. I have to say that, although I didn't run very much, the runs that I found - on packed snow covered trails through woods - were just brilliant (and I hate running, generally).

Do it! I also skied harder than usual all week.
  • Valuxian... Snow packed trails sound very tempting, that might just sway it!
  • Good afternoon

Seems like a nice day for a run I thought as I looked out of my car while driving back from Birmingham. Got out for some carbo-loading (Burger King meal) at a service station and realised how cold it actually is despite no wind and sun.

I'm too hungover and warm to contemplate a run today so I've given up on any plans to run this weekend. My alter ego Drunken-Euphoria is calling the shots today and was yesterday too - note name change. He's had a good knees up but with any luck I should have him back in his box by tomorrow afternoon. So he doesn't distract Detox-Euphoria from the serious business of marathon training.

Despite relatively low mileage last week the long run killed me for the rest of week. So tomorrow I'll add on one mile and I'll probably know by the next morning whether my recoveries are getting faster.

I know from building up mileage last year how one week the long run can be deathly and then a few weeks later you'll be going twice as far and it can be easy and you wonder why it seemed so hard a few weeks before. I've just got to get my body out of the comfort zone of shorter faster runs I did most of last year whilst injured or training for 10ks.

If 10 miles tomorrow does turn into hard work then it will not be reasuring to know that I have the same distance, on more undulating hills at race pace 6 days later. PB here I come?

Tallguy - v.interesting post. I've been trying to keep pulse below 170 on my long runs and so far can manage about 5/6 miles. By the end I'm nearly at 180, but my location means that on homebound miles I'm always running uphill when I'm tired. So I've edited plan slightly and I'm going to run a pace which I know keeps me below 170 most the way round, for a few weeks. Then I'll go out again with HR monitor again. This way my progress (or lack of) will be more noticable.

Good luck to all returning to running this week after days/weeks off.

lata
    Euph
  • Did the Four Villages (Helsby) Half, hoping for at worst 1:44, and possibly 1:38. Made the mistake of assuming that any event in industrial Cheshire would be flat(ish) and therefore would give a good indication of current form. Wrong! Was ticking over nicely at sub 7:30 until 6 miles, then hit headwind, followed by a steady uphill slog from 7.5 to 11 miles. Pace went off to 8:00, and then it was a case of hanging on for the downhill finish from 11 miles. The 12th mile was so fast that I couldn't physically run fast enough to push my heart rate back up, but finished at sub 7:30 again for a final time of 1:40:20.

I'm slightly disappointed, but have improved by 4 minutes since October, with this the more difficult course, so there are some positives to be taken.

It was also the first time I've raced with the HR monitor. I had the alarms set for 80-90%. Got a lot of information from it, as well as some warning on the uphill section that I was overdoing it.

So it's back to the training now, with the start of speedwork, and the opportunity to see if I've got sub 7:30 miles in me at Blackpool at the end of next month.

Hope everyone's had a productive and confidence-boosting weekend.
  • Did the Folksworth 15 in 1 59 25 which I am happy enough with. A 2 lap course with 3 significant hills/lap & a decent long sleeved t shirt so worth the trip.

My target this year is to get near to or below 1 40 for a half so I'd be well chuffed with that Colin.
  • Colin.. The way you were building up your Four Villages summary, I thought you were going to say you ran something like 1:50 - 1:40:20, I'd be well happy with that, good effort mate! The next half I'll be tacking is the Tunbridge Wells which has one major hill. If if I manage that in any where near 1:40 I'll be chuffed.

Euph.. I'm alternating my long runs between my normal hilly course and the flat one. You're right, if you really are determined to keep your HR down, a few big hills can really ruin your plans. I find once my HR has passed the 170'ish mark on the homeward leg, it's really hard to get it back down again.

Blott's Mate.. Great result at Folkestone, I make that pretty sold 8 minute miling. Makes my Dartford 10 result seem a bit of a cop out.

My next race is the Ashford 10K in two weeks. I've been told it's fast so will be looking to get as close to 1:45 as possible (OK, I admit sub 1:45 is the real goal - under promise, over deliver..). 1:45 will be 2'30" off my PB.