Slimming Pills

Has anyone ever tried any slimming pills with success? I need to lose around 20lbs to be happy and I just can't seem to diet. I've been looking on the net and Ethedrine is in some tabs - any one tried it/know of any side effects etc? Don't know what to do anymore!

Comments

• Hi Tiny toes

Two problems with ephedrine as a slimming aid (for which it is commonly used in the US - it's also known as Ma Huang)
    1) It doesn't work
    2) It has unpleasant and occasionally dangerous side effects - it causes palpitations, increases blood pressure, and has been implicated in heart attacks and bleeds into the brain. It's particularl;y risky in people with migraine or heart disease.

If you won't diet (no such word as can't in this context, I'm afraid), there's nothing in a bottle likely to help either. Of the two products licensed in this country, Orlistat (Xenical) has to be taken in combination with a very strict low-fat diet or you'll be squitting orange oily stuff on to your mate's white sofa. Sibutramine (Reductil) is a distant relative of the old amphetamine-based appetite suppressants and has been withdrawn in Italy on safety grounds. I've prescribed Orlistat occasionally, with some success, but it isn't much more effective than diet alone and certainly isn't a substitute for diet. The word "Sibutramine" will not roll off my pen on to a prescription until I am more convinced that it is safe and that it works.

I am sure you could easily get both from dodgy "clinics", but if they were good drugs and suitable for you, you'd get them on the NHS. The government recognises the problem of obesity.

More importantly, I have never come across anyone whose life went from miserable to happy because they'd lost a relatively modest amount of weight. Are you sure your weight is the problem?

If so, grit your teeth and accept that you're going to have to put up with a bit of hunger. Get your walking shoes on and pound the pavements. Hit the pool and swim. Join a commercial slimming group. You can deal with your weight - many of us here are having to do just that - and you will feel a million times better when you realise that you can do it by yourself and for yourself.

Sorry - bit of a rant. I have strong feelings about the unregulated side of the slimming industry.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • TT , my wife tried slimming pills , I've known other people who've tried them. IMHO they are a waste of money . Use the money to join the local gym or wieght watchers ( my missus has lost over 2 stone so far ) or buy some running shoes. So far just by running I've lost 1/2 stone , which doesnt sound much but I eat anything thats dead

Ditch the pills , get running and feel good about yerself
  • I would steer clear of slimming pills. First of all, if you did reach your target weight, then you would probably have difficulty keeping the weight off without continued use of the pills. Secondly, there have been lots of news articles recently about slimming pills in the Far East, with people having liver damage and/or failure due to using certain types of pills. Third, I know that many European slimming pills are, essentially, speed (amphetamine), which is bad for you period.

Therefore, I'm with V-rap on this on - persevering on your own is best, and all of the achievement will be yours. Your fellow forumites will support you all the way.

Cheers,
    Hild
  • DON'T DO IT TINY TOES !!

In your heart of hearts you know that there's no easy answer to losing excess weight. Taking pills -even if they did help knock off a few pounds - would only be a temporary solution. The bald fact is that if you are carrying more than 7lbs excess weight you are going to have to change your eating habits and exercise routine to make a permanent change.

If you really want to lose weight you can - but be careful about linking an "ideal" weight to happiness. I lost a significant amount of weight two years ago and I've kept it off but my weight is something I have to think about most days. 20lbs isn't a huge weight problem - with a bit of determination it could be gone in 3 months - and you'd be healthy if you've done it over that timescale.

Click onto the nutrition pages on this site, keep on running (it will help your self esteem and motivation no end) and good luck.

But don't take those slimming pills - you deserve better than that.

PS Oooh, my first post on the "other side", I've come over all funny - time for a glass of wine and Eastenders I think...
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Tiny Toes,

Please don't take any ghastly slimming pills. The manufacturers just want to take your money, never mind the side effects and I don't believe they work anyway.

Losing weight is a hard slog. I know because I've lost over 3 stones with 1 more to go. This has come off gradually since last year (when I was a fat bloater) because I increased my level of physical activity and I changed my eating habits. I still get treats - there's no way I'm giving up 'curry night' and a few glasses of wine!

Just remember that there is no quick fix - you put weight on gradually and that's how you should lose it.

Good luck.

Susie
  • hello tiny toes (and i'm with the others about the pills...) just wanted to pick up something susie said about losing weight gradually...so many people who diet have expectations to lose more than a pound or so a week, and it's just not feasible without starving...in the first week you lose loads of weight, but it's just water and doesn't really mean much.....even if you set yourself a target of 0.5 pounds a week (or even less!) you'll still lose the weight and stabilise at you body's natural set point...
    if someone were to put on half a pound a week, they'd call it rapid weight gain...losing it is only the same process in reverse.
    to lost this much weight is already the equivalent of eating a chocolate bar less each day....i think that's quite enough sacrifice!
    take care....and good luck!
    alice
  • V-rap

So you wouldn't recommend them then!!!!!
  • Exercise and a long term healthy eating plan is the only way to lose weight safely and healthily.

Most runners started because they either wanted to lose weight or get fitter or both.

I have a friend who became rather dependent on slimming pills and the side effects are more mental now than physical.....some 5 years later!

Don't set yourself silly goals like losing 20lbs by Xmas or something, take each day as it comes but the important thing to remember is as Velociraptor said "there is no such word as can't".
  • Tiny Toes-

I need to lose 20lb too. Shall we try it together? We can post a message once a week with an update of our weight loss (or weight gain!!)

Does anyone else want to join in?
  • Tiny,
    You have been given loads of good advice. May I suggest Slim Fast milkshakes for lunch, it is full of vitamins and minerals, makes you feel full and gives you the energy to work-out. A sandwich is around 500 calories, S.Fast is 200 calories. And then healthy food at other meal times.

Remember what you put in is what you get out.
  • Hi everyone
    Yeah, I know slimming pills aren't really the answer - they are too expensive anyway!

I've tried the slimfast milkshakes and I just can't stand them.

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate all the replies. I'll try harder - I promise :)

Thanks again,
    (not so) Tiny
  • Do keep us up to date with your progress, Tiny. We're here, we're interested, and everone wants you to succeed.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Slimfast. Urgh!

I was amazed to find that large tins of soup contain bugger all calories (e.g. the 415g tin of Baxters Healthy Choice Carrot, Onion and Chick Pea soup sitting on my desk right now is just 150 calories). Obviously soups vary and you have to check the label when buying - but they are *real* food - and will fill you up far more than a slimfast chemical cocktail.

For lunch I alternate between a tin of soup (150 cals) one day and 3 ryvitas and a tin of tuna (about 260 cals) the next + some fruit on both days. I get *hungry* at lunchtime and these are substantial but relatively low calorie options.

Millipede
  • Slimfast...double urgh!

Bagels and pitta bread are a low fat but filling lunchtime option and the carbs eaten earlier in the day will provide fuel for the evening runs.

Keep your eye on saturated fats when spying the nutritional values on products, not all supposedly low fat products are that good for you!
  • Millipede, what use does a chap your size have for 250-calorie lunches? I hope you buy your own Ryvita and don't send someone else to get it to spare your embarrassment.

As a child, one of my favourite treats was a couple of slices of Ryvita buttered on the dimpled side so that it was more butter than cracker. My mother used to get furious at me for abusing her special diet food in this way.

If I haven't had 500-600 calories at both breakfast and lunch (and that's counting fruit and veg, apart from spuds and bananas, as zero), I'm falling down by the time I finish work around 7pm.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Hi Tiny, Rhi etc.
    I'm dieting too, and think Rhi's idea of doing it together's a good one as there are always tough times you need support and encouragement (DW's been helping me out with this and it does work!)
    My first goal is a stone, but ultimately want to lose about the same as you. Feel free to get in touch and we can set up a forum weight loss support group!!!
    All the best for your quest!
  • V-rap, too many people think that skipping breakfast is a good way to cut down on what they eat, like you all 9.5st of me needs lots of calories earlier in the day to keep going at work then to run/gym at night.

Eating breakfast kick starts the metabolism and eating a little often throughout the day will top up your energy levels.
  • Hi everyone. Two tips that really work:- (1) don't buy and keep things in the house that are temping and bad for you eg cakes, sweet biscuits, pies - if you fancy one, go out and buy just one or two and not a whole load.
    (2)Eat small amounts but much more often - I eat breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and supper. All of these are smallish meals. Provided you make sensible food choices you will find you will eat much less overall because you don't get so hungry that you eat too much in one go. I also find that going for a run at my "danger pig out" time in the evening stops me overeating. Good luck.
  • Food is fuel – I like to eat and eat lots – you just have to make sure you keep it all in balance and make sure you are burning the calories you put in

Just by dumping butter, margarine, mayonnaise etc, replace full fat with skimmed, swapping junk for fruit and starting on an exercise program I’ve manage to go from 17st8lb down to 14st5lb

Make the decision and a commitment and those around you will support you :o)

Will
  • Well done, Will. That's serious weight loss!

I suspect the nation's obesity problem would be solved very quickly if the sort of fatty processed gunk that can slip unnoticed down your throat stopped being available and everyone had to eat proper food instead. It would be even better if something could be done to stop people taking the car when they're only going quarter of a mile to get a DVD and a stash of choccy bars.

Not that I have anything against chocolate! When I rule the world, fast food joints are for the chop but Cadbury's is safe.

An interesting and rather sensible tip I heard recently is for calorie-counters with an night-time nibbling habit to start each 24-hour period with the evening meal. Instead of skimping on breakfast and lunch to allow extra calories for an evening binge (which will then happen, because you're starving, and it will be bigger than you planned), you'd have a modest evening meal, not pig out at night because you know that if you do there are no calories left for the next day, and a decent breakfast and lunch because the sheet is about to be wiped clean again.

Nice if it works!

Cheers, V-rap.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Just remember it took an awfully long time to gain all that wieght, so it will take an awful long time to loose it

Thats meant to make you feel good by the way

• V-rap,

Lunches are my downfall. If I'm not watching what I eat then typically I'd have a filled baguette (maybe chicken and bacon), a cornish pasty and a packet of crisps. That probably totals about 1200 cals I guess. I'm trying to get down to 14 stone - I'm already down from 16 to 15. When I've lost that weight my lunches will expand to something a little more reasonable.

I see from another thread that I'm currently worth (weight wise) about two of you ;-)

Millipede
  • On the lunch issue, have started making extra dinner then taking a bit into work the next day so have a hot lunch (sets you up for training in the evening) then just a light dinner... I find this helps with weight loss as you're only eating lightly after the run, plus is easier on the stomach. I feel very virtuous coming back from an evening session to egg or beans on toast and some fruit!
  • You're doing really well, Millipede. Must admit, I'm a big soup fan myself, but my tipples (apart from home-made) are Baxter's carrot and butterbean or spicy parsnip, which are well over 150 calories a tin but all fantastically healthy stuff - especially with a chunk torn off a crusty loaf...

The training is definitely catching up with me. Only quarter to ten, a big breakfast under my waistband, and I'm already fantasising about lunch. If the gnawing gut doesn't settle, I might even be tempted by the tin of Slimfast that's been sitting in the staff kitchen for months. Never tried it, but if my receptionists won't drink it, it must be bad.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Like the lam, I have some of last night’s leftovers today ‘Spag Bol’ – marvellous with a nice chicken Salad sarny :o))

Will
  • One thing I find that makes it hard to stay on course is our office sweet machine. This is due to the fact that it has been strategically placed next to the water cooler, so every time a get a drink all that lovely chocolate just keeps screaming “eat me – eat me” ;o)

Will
  • Going back to the original subject of pills, I was thinking last night about the use of water tablets.

I have recently stopped drinking alcohol completely for a month (2 weeks in now) and am finding that I am naturally drinking more water, probably 2-3 litres a day without even thinking about it!

The downside of this mega healthy habit is that I feel bloated all the time and have gone from a pretty efficient runner to feeling like an elephant warbling down the street! Toilet stops are also a big problem on longer runs too.

My question is will taking water tablets to relieve the bloatedness result in me being dehydrated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Drinking water shouldn't make you feel bloated, Wolfy. Have you changed other things about your diet?

The increased outflow is a good thing - you're obviously adequately hydrated and in possession of a good set of kidneys.

Please keep it that way! Water tablets won't solve the problem. They're great for treating high blood pressure and heart failure, but if you're a healthy person who gets a bit puffy then all that will happen is that your kidneys will be flogged needlessly, you will get dehydrated, and you will still feel bloated because fluid outside the circulation is much less susceptible to the effects of water tablets.

It can be a problem, though. My variant of it is that when I'm running a lot my ankles get a little swollen in the evening and I wake up with a bouncing bladder a couple of hours after falling asleep. I blame my age...

I know this doesn't apply to you, Wolfy, but about 90% of the people I see complaining of "bloating" and "water retention" are kidding themselves - it's just good old F.A.T.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • V-Rap, I just love the way you say it like it is!!! We need more like you to pop people's self-delusions and get them sorting their lifestyles out!! It IS tough facing up to the fact that you have to change things, but without that realisation you're never going to get fit, lose weight and keep it off long term...
  • Thanks for the advice V-rap.

I'm not without a bit of fat myself to be honest but the bloatedness feeling has only recently become very apparent. I feared that you would say that drinking the water isn't a cause for it and now fear that it may be a reoccurence of IBS (due to some other symptons I am having too) which I suffered for a year over 2 years ago. Stress, stress and more stress of work/home/training/living(!) may have gotten the best of me again!

I'll steer away from the water tablets and get back on the Colpemin instead.

Cheers