Guildford half

Hi
New to this site - just a quick question: is anyone doing the Guildford Half who has done it before and can give me some details about the course?
Ta
Deb

Comments

• GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    I have done it the last two years. Although the course was slightly different each year, basically it consisted of two circuits, starting in Stoke Park, heading towards central Guildford, then out towards Merrow/Burpham, and back to Stoke Park.

It is mostly pretty flat, although there is a bit of a climb at about mile 1 of each circuit - heading up from the lido/college towards Merrow - and again at about mile 4/5 of each circuit - running through the forest near Burpham. Neither climb is particuarly long or difficult.

It is not a particularly interesting or scenic course, but if you live nearby is well worth doing.

Of course, all this assumes that they don't change the course again this year. I am not doing it this year, so have not bothered to find out.
  • I'm new to all this (well, coming back after a break of 13 years actually!) and would like to know if there are any 5K's in November that I can get to from the Guildford area. Thanx.
  • Sassie - there is a 5k and 10k race in Fleet on October 20th. Fleet is about a 30 minute drive from Guildford, through Farnham then up the M3 one junction. I'm doing the 10k but it sounds like a good race for beginers as there is a 5k and also a fun run I think. Entries are via the Fleet and Crookham AC website (not sure of exact address but search engine should find it for you.)
  • Thanks Guy. I'll take a book to eliminate the not so interesting bits!!:-)
    Deb
  • I live about 7 miles from Guildford & there is some fantastic trails off road,so why they try to arange a race running 2 laps of busy roads ?
  • GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    I quite agree. The first year the intended route was through Guildford and then out into the countryside through parts of the Downs. On the morning of the race we were told that it had been changed to two urban loops, because, I think, of roadworks. The course was pretty much the same again last year.
  • Hey anybody know roughly how many people run this race? Well organised? Public turn out to watch or not? Thanks all...
  • Not sure whether to do this or not given I've got Windsor the following week.
    However re Fleet , sent off the forms for the 10k today (its on Oct 20th) so I'll see some of you there.

Bean - are you the same one from Basingstoke who was/has moved to Wokingham area ?
  • Can anyone tell me where the start of this race is? Stoke Park maybe?
    I was going to do a 12 mile run tomorrow as a final long run before Windsor next week, but I could add a few miles, have my route pre-planned for me and do this race (at a gentle pace).
    It's a shame the race wasn't advertised better. I haven't seen anything in the local papers.