Forerunner 301

I've read a few references to "the new Garmin Forerunner 301, out in January, which includes heart rate monitor".

I've tried searching on teh web but can find little apart from other runners on other forums repeating the same thing.

Just a simple question. Is this real information, or are we all just repeating each other's rumours?

Comments

• Theres something on the Sportsim forum about speaking to Garmin to get the 301 to work with Sportsim.

Theres also a couple of sites in Belgium claiming to sell one for ~400Euros.
  • just phoned garmin asking about a release date

"Unfortunately we have no information about products that are not currently available on our website"

However, there is a pic here which appears to be a genuine pic on a genuine tech show website

• Thanks YRR. Unless some mischief-maker has been busy with PhotoShop that certainly looks like a new Forerunner and a chest strap. A bit disappointing that it is a chest strap. I was hoping that they might have created a wrist sensor as part of the wrist unit.

If it really is planned for January I'm surprised they've not advertised. There must be loads of people planning to get 201s for Xmas who'd rather wait for the 301. Ah, maybe that's the reason for keeping quiet! Clear out the 201 stocks.

• nail and head spring to mind ;-)

I'll email our accessories buyer and Garmin rep if I get a chance, see if there is anything which they know (and that I'm allowed to tell you!!!)
  • road runner
    how on earth did you manage to come across that pic?
    Ive used your link and found it, but can't find it from the home page on that site
  • that jpg links from the CES Innovations 2005 Awards Honorees page:

http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/awards/innovations/rd_honorees.asp?category=61

Scroll down to Garmin International on that page and you'll see the description "The Forerunner 301 is the most integrated personal training system on the market and simplifies fitness technology by providing motivational features that make athletic activities both fun and productive." along with a "view product image" link to the jpg mentioned.

Cheers,
    Fog Man
  • OK thanks, the source sounds pretty impeccable, but what about the January 2005 launch, which I've seen repeated a few times?
  • From what I have seen on the garminf mailing list on Yahoo Groups, Garmin has a press conference for the 5th(?) of January 2005 - that seems a likely time to announce a new item like the 301.
  • Hi there, I've read all the posts regarding the forerunner 201 and had just gotten together the money to buy it and then read this on the 301. I desperately want a forerunner but wonder if you think I should now just wait for the 301 with the added heart rate monitor. Does anyone know if the rest of the functions (i.e. virtual partner) from the 201 are available on the 301? And will it be a lot higher in price than the 201? I presume it will have to be because of the added HRM but figure maybe it wont be as they may be omitting stuff from the 201 design. Does anyone know anything more about it yet? Sorry for all the questions, it's just I don't want to feel I've wasted my money

Cairo
    X
  • Personally, I would wait until the announcement for the 301 - apparently it is supposed to be in early January (the 5th I think) and see what comes out of that - price, availabilty date, ... and make your choice from there!
  • And that site also has the garmin product number for the 301 so you can look up the software on Garmin's site. It's empty at the moment, but keep your eye on it as you should eventually be able to download the new software for it.

010-00375-00
  • Thanks for the info, Foo-Bar. That looks pretty done and dusted now.

Cairo - I'm pretty sure that the existing functionality will be carried forward to the 301, but I don't know for sure, of course.

How important is the HRM for you? If 'very', then I'd definitely wait. If 'not very' then to be honest I might still wait, because I suspect that the 201 will drop sharply in price (as well as a lot of used 201s coming onto Ebay as their owners trade up to the 301).

• For me, in training I use the HRM a lot - I hae a Polar that I use with my 201. I have had my training zones tested, and use the heart rate as an indicator as to where I should be training. I don't use it all the time, but I would like to have the functionality all in one unit - right now I look like a weirdo with all this stuff on!
  • Does anyone know of anyone actually selling the 301 yet?

Most recent RW has a full page add - but their website doesn't say anything more than we all know already & still none the wiser on price. But it does look good.

• From what I have seen, the 301 is going to be officially announces at the CES show Jan 5-9, and shipping towards the end of January.
  • Thanks Brian,

So I guess it'll be another couple of days to a week to get an official idea on price & a month or so to see them in UK shops. Just in time for my birthday.
  • Looks like its just been announced on the Garmin.com site under "newsflash"
    with a price of $324.98 and with USB connection.
  • Does that mean that the UK price will be in the region of £175(using todays exchange rate on Yahoo Finance £1 = $1.88), or is it not that simple? I hope it is that simple, cos thats a very good price.
  • I don't know - in Canada there were price differences between what Garmin had as MSRP and what retailers were selling at, especially after conversion. I am going to wait and see what the retailers hereare going to charge for it.
  • Generally with stuff that is imported over from the states with a dollar price, you wont be far out by converting the dollars to pounds - so about £324.

one other problem at the moment, is the mapsource CD that can be used for analysing your runs, is only for the N.America

Hopefully, when it comes over here, they use Tracklogs
  • Roadking,

If your right on price, then I'll be looking for deals on a 201.
  • I've heard £220 somewhere, but can't be sure
  • £200 seems to be the going price for the 301 now :)
  • Online UK stores seem to range anywhere from £200 up to £245. The next problem is that stocks are very limited and a number of stores aren't even aware its been released yet.

Sporttek and Digiwoo seem to be the best bet at the moment if you want one soon.
  • Just taken delivery of my Forerunner 301. Ordered it from heartratemonitor.co.uk - £200, including next day delivery.

Used it for the first time tonight and so far (without having gone into detail on the features) I have to say I'm well impressed! It was easy to get it up and running out of the box, the software installed without a problem and I was able to download my workout easily.

Did a hill session tonight so I was able to re-live the pain by plotting heart rate against pace, etc.

This is the first time I've used a SDM so I can't compare the 301 to other models. But I'm impressed with it so far and can't wait to get out there and make more use of it. Surely this will make me run faster and further!!!
  • J-ache - don't suppose you've figured out how to change the display from km to miles or vice versa? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I did my first run with it tonight and was chuffed to bits with the results, especially on the PC.
  • Ignore that, I was being a prize-winning idiot.

* hangs head in shame *
  • i spoke to garmin suplier and if I remember right I think 196 + vat
  • I have a timex heart rate monitor and cannto decide if it is worht waiting to get a 301 when anyone gets some stock and pay that bit extra for it, or to just go for hte 201.
    any adviec form anyone who knows the products welcoem!